What map version new 19's?

22 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

Just curious if anyone with a newer 19 Edge could let me know what map version is installed.  Info would be under the about menu under general settings I believe.

Thanks

Jason

Thats a great question. The 2019's have a different Sync 3 version and very subtle cosmetic changes. None that I have seen affect the performance and or usability of Sync 3.  Ford has yet to update Sync 3 for our cars to the current version. 

2 year plus old map. Ford is not interested in Maps as many people now use Android Auto or Car Play navigation - Waze or Google Map.  Won't spend my hard earned money on 2 plus old maps.... already in my area, this map does not show streets build nearly 3 years ago.   

Was not meant as a complaint  more as an observation how behind Ford is with MAPS on new vehicles,  and that people were using other means now to use as a travel aid and the current software was not current compared to other manufactures and GPS systems.  Will keep my comments to myself in the future.

2 hours ago, jmr061 said:

This thread isn’t meant to complain or praise anything.  Please do that in another thread and keep on topic...the topic is pretty simple 

My comment was not meant as a complaint, it was more of an observation that newer Fords have an upgraded Sync 3 firmware. I know one doesn't have anything to do with the other. One would  think that if they are going to release a new car they would update the all of the software that comes with it. 

45 minutes ago, candurin said:

No one buys vehicle navigation anymore to have the latest maps.  That’s what android/iOS (Waze, google, Apple, etc.) apps are for.

At this point, the vehicle navigation is used for backup in case my phone craps out.

I agree with you. Today Waze crapped out on me and Google maps decided not to work. I used the built in navigation to get me where I needed to go.  But on the flip side of the coin, I have to wonder how many units they would sell with navigation if they advertised that the maps have not been updated since 2015 or whatever.  The average consumer would not think to ask if the maps are current or not.

1 hour ago, candurin said:

No one buys vehicle navigation anymore to have the latest maps.  That’s what android/iOS (Waze, google, Apple, etc.) apps are for.

At this point, the vehicle navigation is used for backup in case my phone craps out.

That is probably why Nav is stuck in the packages now instead of an add on.  It is also why I opted out of spending the money on the 401a package.  The only thing I would have liked out of that package would have been the adaptive headlights and the front camera, but the headlights don't seem to work anyway.  I had them on my Focus and liked them but they were not a selling point.  But I did not need or want NAV nor do I need the car to park itself or have the cruise slow down and all that crap.  No passengers in the rear to care about the heated seats.  I would have liked the roof I guess.  Anyway I just use my CarPlay for directions.  SO yeah I do not expect Ford to be updating Maps all the time if ever really.  They should just let you tie the Nav into Google Maps and update the maps via WiFi from them.  Just somehow license with Google and be done.  People could get the latest maps if they want or keep the one that came with the car. 

• Like 1

I was curious so I went to navigation.com (I believe this is the same company as here.com) which I believe Ford uses for map updates.  That site did not even list anything past 2017 for map updates for the Edge and other Ford models as well.  I also believe that they update every two years, but seems they are a couple of months late posting an update.  Who knows when or if they will come out with updates for vehicles that have Apple Car Play/Android Auto.  I would think Ford had an agreement/contract with them before the other options were available, is Ford’s obligation done now, who knows???

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 7:20 PM, candurin said:

They are not even good for backup since they are years out of date and no way offered from Ford to update them. Ford should remove the Navigation from their new vehicals since they are not providing any updates.

5 minutes ago, FordGuy1 said:

They are not even good for backup since they are years out of date and no way offered from Ford to update them. Ford should remove the Navigation from their new vehicals since they are not providing any updates.

They still work just fine 95%+ of the time.  Even higher in areas that aren't growing fast.

3 hours ago, FordGuy1 said:

That's like saying Ford should remove the AWD systems because the PTUs might leak.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 4:59 PM, Waldo said:

That's like saying Ford should remove the AWD systems because the PTUs might leak.

If the PTUs leak they are covered under the warranty, at least till warranty runs out, which can be extened. I'm saying that since they don't provide a method for update that they should stop having them in new vehicals, or at least list them as a completely seperate option so that we don't have to pay for a usless item. I wanted the memory seats in my 2017 Edge so I had to purchase the added option that has them in it, that also lumped in the Navigation which makes the cost of that option ~$800 more with no way of not getting the Navigation. That would be OK if they at least provide a method of updating the Nav. I guess I can't understand why Ford has not provided an update after 4 Model years, seems poor business to brag about a new better system (Sync3) and then not have programmers smart enough to figure out how to provide updates for the maps. Just wait a few years when Ford comes out with Autonomous cars and they can't figure out how to update the guidance system!

23 minutes ago, FordGuy1 said:

so that we don't have to pay for a usless item.

For the second time it is FAR from useless.  I use mine all the time.  They don't change existing roads and addresses very often.   And I do think they'll eventually offer updates they're probably just extending the interval to save money since a lot of owners are probably using AA/Carplay and their cell phone apps now.

I e-mailed Customer Relations the other day to inquire about Sync 3 map updates, and this was their reply:

You will receive a notification via mail and/or email once the map update is ready. We are hoping to have more details soon. For your other inquiry, please contact Ford of Canada’s Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-565-3673 (M-F 8:30AM to 8:00PM EST).