Dealer wants me to trade-in my '16 Titanium, but...

My dealer called me not once, but twice saying that they have someone "interested" in my loaded '16 Titanium and they want to see me to talk about it… Funny but I never showed them any intention to sell my Edge. I assume they want to sell me a new one and take mine in a trade. I'm not against listening to offers but the problem is this: I like the chromed version of the Titanium but it only comes with a 4 cyl. engine which in I'm not interested. The only one available with a V6 is the ST model which is nice (also more expensive) but I don't like the "blacked out" trim on it (black side windows trim, black wheels, black grille, etc)… It might be appealing to some but it's too much black for me. I prefer more "bling". Also I find that there's not such a big choice of colors and the only one I'd see myself happy with would be the "Ingot Silver". Too bad Ford doesn't offer the V6 in the Titanium 'cause then I'd take what they have to offer me more seriously. I'm seeing my dealer this Wednesday so I'll see how it turns out.

Claude.

• Like 1

i think ford is making a mistake only offering the four-banger in the edge other than the ST. I have a 3.5 in my '16 Ti as well and if i needed a new car today, i would probably be forced to buy a different vehicle which is unfortunate because i really like the edge. i had an '09 3.5 before this one and liked it very much as well. i'd love the ST but not sure i'd want to spend the money.

what i would probably do is tell your dealer that you're interested in a new one if they will get you a Ti with a six-cylinder. obviously they can't but if enough people walk away because of this, then maybe they will change their mind and either offer the 2.7 turbo in the Ti or bring back the 3.5.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Ben but frankly, I doubt that walking away will make a difference…:shrug:They just don't care if I buy it or not. If I don't buy it, someone else will...

I just don't understand their thinking.  Ever since the Edge came out back in 2006 (I think) it has always had a V6 and it sold well that way. Now we're in the middle of April and the 2019 models have been on sale since last fall and right now, I don't recall seeing a single new model on the road even once a day…:(  Could it because of the lack of availability of a V6? :headscratch:

Claude

Edited by 2FAST4U

14 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Thanks for your reply Ben but frankly, I doubt that walking away will make a difference…:shrug:They just don't care if I buy it or not. If I don't buy it, someone else will...

I just don't understand their thinking.  Ever since the Edge came out back in 2006 (I think) it has always had a V6 and it sold well that way. Now we're in the middle of April and the 2019 models have been on sale since last fall and right now, I don't recall seeing a single new model on the road even once a day…:(  Could it because of the lack of availability of a V6? :headscratch:

Claude

It's simple.  Ford has to meet the fuel economy regulations.  To do that they have to sell 4-cylinder Edges, not V6s.  The V6 will not come back unless the laws are changed.  But remember people used to say the same thing when main stream cars started switching from V8s to V6s.  Eventually people got over it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

if enough people walk then it will make a difference. if sales drop 30%, it will make a difference. i wonder what percentage of edges were sold with each engine. i wonder how many customers know what engine they have, LOL.

it won't make a difference for you today but time will tell.

my edge will be three years old in june. i'll probably keep it for a few more years but one never knows. in any case, unless i have enough cash to buy an ST, i won't be an Edge owner again.

58 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's simple.  Ford has to meet the fuel economy regulations.  To do that they have to sell 4-cylinder Edges, not V6s.  The V6 will not come back unless the laws are changed.  But remember people used to say the same thing when main stream cars started switching from V8s to V6s.  Eventually people got over it.

and fuel economy regulations are based on the test cycle, not real world driving. accelerating a specific mass at a specific rate requires a specific amount of energy that is contained in gasoline. the difference in engine types is their efficiency; i.e. how much of the energy in the gas can be transformed into moving that mass. basic immutable laws of physics. is the four-cylinder more efficient in the real world or just the test cycle.

i've read about porsche's change to turbo fours for their boxster line. the real world fuel economy is same or worse than the old non-turbo six but the EPA ratings are better.

the shift from V8 to V6 is not that bad in my opinion. i've had a few BMWs with their beautiful 2.5 and 3 liter engines. smooth as silk, good torque. the same cars with a 2 liter four are horrible. no torque, rough, and you have to get them way into the revs to get them to move.

in any case, these are my opinions and in my opinion, no turbo 4 in a car as heavy as the edge. a fiesta or golf, sure. 

Ecoboost engines seem to have a wider range of mpg depending on how you drive it.   NA engines seem to have a much narrower range and is less sensitive.   What that means is it's easy to achieve close to EPA test mpg in the real world under the right conditions but it's also easier to get worse mpg than a NA engine.

There was also an issue with the first gen ecoboosts where the cylinder heads ran hot and that required the engine to run richer than normal and that hurt fuel economy.  The 2nd and 3rd gen engines don't have that problem.

Our 2016 MKX has the 3.7L.   My F150 has the 3.5LEB.   I'm averaging 21-22 mpg in mixed driving.  Our MKX is also averaging 21-22 in the same situation.  But my truck has about 200 more lb/ft of torque in a much heavier and less aerodynamic vehicle.

The 2.0LEB delivers better low end torque (had it in an Escape and a Fusion) and I prefer that to the NA 3.7L in normal driving.  You get much better performance off the line without having to rev the engine really high.

Well, I went to my dealer today for an appointment I had and I spoke with one of the salesman and they offered me $32,000. for my '16 Titanium (loaded with all options and 44K kilometers ). We could have had a deal IF I could have had a new 2019 Titanium with a V6, but even if everyone tells me that the 4 cyl. turbo engine is quite responsive, I just can't see myself with a vehicle with that 4 cyl. engine. ?

Too bad 'cause I really like the look of the new 2019 (especially the rear treatment with the new taillights and the black insert between them)... 

Claude ?

Edited by 2FAST4U

9 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Well, I went to my dealer today for an appointment I had and I spoke with one of the salesman and they offered me $32,000. for my '16 Titanium (loaded with all options and 44K kilometers ). We could have had a deal IF I could have had a new 2019 Titanium with a V6, but even if everyone tells me that the 4 cyl. turbo engine is quite responsive, I just can't see myself with a vehicle with that 4 cyl. engine. ?

Too bad 'cause I really like the look of the new 2019 (especially the rear treatment with the new taillights and the black insert between them)... 

Claude ?

Salut Claude,

Given what I've been researching lately, 32k is a decent price for that '16.  Look around on Canadian sites and you'll find that 32k is excellent.

If you absolutely want the V6, go for the ST. it is though a V6 ecoboost and not a naturally aspirated V6. The naturally aspirated is no longer available on the edges. I understand you don't like the black appearance on the window trims but you can always have it wrapped in chrome. Plus depends on the dealers, there are some sweet deals available you can get it for less the $50.000 CAD.

10 hours ago, cv27 said:

Salut Claude,

Given what I've been researching lately, 32k is a decent price for that '16.  Look around on Canadian sites and you'll find that 32k is excellent.

Merçi Claude! ;) I know they're offering me a very decent price for my '16 but it's not how much they're offering me which is the problem… --> it's the fact that a replacement 2019 V6 Titanium isn't available anymore…   :(

and

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I get the mental bias but have you actually driven a 2.0L Edge? 

and

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Yea it's not just "quite responsive", but it drives much better than the V6 in almost all conditions.

Honestly no I haven't driven one… but maybe a little "road test" would convince me, but my dealer did not offer me to try one.

44 minutes ago, ONEDGE16 said:

If you absolutely want the V6, go for the ST. it is though a V6 ecoboost and not a naturally aspirated V6. The naturally aspirated is no longer available on the edges. I understand you don't like the black appearance on the window trims but you can always have it wrapped in chrome. Plus depends on the dealers, there are some sweet deals available you can get it for less the $50.000 CAD.

The ST is out of my price range…. My salesman and I spoke about it a little but he said that they were around $55~$60K depending on the options… and there's still that all-black trim which like I said earlier is too much for me.

Claude. 

Edited by 2FAST4U

58 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

The ST is out of my price range…. My salesman and I spoke about it a little but he said that they were around $55~$60K depending on the options… and there's still that all-black trim which like I said earlier is too much for me.

MSRP is in the 55-60 K, but dealers and Ford have rebates. My current dealer has an ST listed for a bit under $50K CAD. So if your dealer really wants your Titanium, they can give you a deal.

The one below has the 401A package, 21" black rims and is White platinum (although their website says Silver the Window sticker says white platinum). Basically fully loaded for under $50K.

image.thumb.png.1dddd16b39c88798af6d9e3b12ab6b3e.png

• 4 weeks later...

Well I dunno what to do anymore!… :) It's because I went to my dealer today for some maintenance on my '16 Edge and guess what… I fell in love with an all-black  2019 Titanium Elite which was in the showroom.:wub: (See picture)

Funny but it's about the exact same story which happened to me back in '16 when I went to the dealer to have some work done on my '11 MKX and I saw an Electric Spice '16 Titanium…which I eventually bought and still have.

I haven't spoken with a salesman yet so I don't have any idea of what kind of deal I could get but two weeks ago, they offered me between $30~$32k for mine. I have to go back to the dealer in two days so I might look at this more seriously. After reading all the replies I got here, I'm not as concerned about the 4cyl. engine as was in the beginning. I'm saying to myself that if it gets good reviews from about everyone here, then I guess I'd be happy with it.

One thing I'm going to have to check is that if I want the one with the chrome mouldings at the bottom of the doors and body-color painted lower panels (like in the first picture) then I might have to get an Elite model, but I'm not sure. Also one detail which I especially like is that with an all-black vehicle, the black panel between the taillights blends in with the rest of the body and appears to be an actual part of the body when compared with any other body color (see second picture)...

I'll keep you guys posted as how this eventually turns out...

Claude. ;)

2019-ford-edge-titanium-agate-black-metallic-4.jpg

2FMPK4K95KBB95599-3c.jpg

Edited by 2FAST4U

Salut Claude,

With the Elite, don't forget you also get the 20'' wheels, which give it added prestige.  I didn't even notice the black panel on the hatch: I got the Magnetic 'dark grey' and both blend in well.  As for the chrome bar on the side panels, not my cup of tea, but I don't see it when I'm driving ?

I looked at the ST and what it added to the Titanium; personally, the bells & whistles didn't justify the price increase.  The 2.7 cost more at the pump and the 2.0 gets me out of trouble every time, but then I don't spend time at the drags.  Keep in mind the 6 speed transmission which in my opinion brings excellent 'perceived' torque.

I didn't check the 2016 -vs- 2019, but for me going from a 2015 to a 2019 brought a lot of new technical toys I'm still learning and enjoying (not a Tesla, but getting there).

If you get 32k$ CDN for your 2016 Sport, I believe you win, assuming the purchase price is as aggressive.

1 hour ago, cv27 said:

Salut Claude,

With the Elite, don't forget you also get the 20'' wheels, which give it added prestige.  I didn't even notice the black panel on the hatch: I got the Magnetic 'dark grey' and both blend in well.  As for the chrome bar on the side panels, not my cup of tea, but I don't see it when I'm driving ?

I looked at the ST and what it added to the Titanium; personally, the bells & whistles didn't justify the price increase.  The 2.7 cost more at the pump and the 2.0 gets me out of trouble every time, but then I don't spend time at the drags.  Keep in mind the 6 speed transmission which in my opinion brings excellent 'perceived' torque.

I didn't check the 2016 -vs- 2019, but for me going from a 2015 to a 2019 brought a lot of new technical toys I'm still learning and enjoying (not a Tesla, but getting there).

If you get 32k$ CDN for your 2016 Sport, I believe you win, assuming the purchase price is as aggressive.

Thanks Claude for your reply, I appreciate… I'm going back to my dealer tomorrow morning to pick up my '16 Edge (Titanium not Sport) which was there for some minor stuff (specifically updating the Sync3 system to version 3.0)… I definitely intend to take a closer look at the gorgeous black '19 Titanium they have in the showroom :flirt: but I have a few personal requirements: 1° it has to be an "Elite" model (with all the chrome trim), 2° NO trailer hitch, and 3°of course loaded with navigation, Sync version 3.0, panoramic roof, etc… 

I have to ask them what's the best price I can get for the '19 model and also, if I sell the '16 myself, will the price for the new '19 model remain the same without a trade-in?  There is someone in my family who might be interested in my '16...

Anyways, I'll let you know how things turn out…and IF I do get the new '19 model, I'll get in touch with you to disable the horn's "double honk" and calibrate the turn signal lane changing to 6 flashes instead of 3.

Thanks, regards,

Claude. ;)