Jump to content
eddie368

Ultimate performance Intercooler

Recommended Posts

Has anyone installed a Ultimate Performance intercooler and then a tune? If so ,How much of a performance gain have you seen? Any dyno numbers? I'm getting ready to install  my UP intercooler in the next two weeks then a dyno tune.Just checking to see if anyone has already done theirs yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume it would be like any intercooler and really have no noticeable gains but instead less loss when heatsoaked.  I know my stock ST charge air temp increases about 50 degrees during a normal daily floor it to accelerate run.  Maybe through 2 gears from 0-60 before letting off.  And that is horrible.  My tuned Focus ST with a Depo Racing 3.5 on it would increase maybe 4-5 degrees running it hard and accelerating up to over 100 and down for corners and back up to 100+.  From a stop.  The factory IC was known to increase at least 70 degrees.  So while there really is no gain per se there should be a noticeable steady powerband with no loss.  It is one upgrade I am looking for on my ST even if I do not tune it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eddie368 said:

Has anyone installed a Ultimate Performance intercooler and then a tune? If so ,How much of a performance gain have you seen? Any dyno numbers? I'm getting ready to install  my UP intercooler in the next two weeks then a dyno tune.Just checking to see if anyone has already done theirs yet.

Didn't know someone is manufacturing edge specific inter coolers. Got a link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eddie368 said:

Has anyone installed a Ultimate Performance intercooler and then a tune? If so ,How much of a performance gain have you seen? Any dyno numbers? I'm getting ready to install  my UP intercooler in the next two weeks then a dyno tune.Just checking to see if anyone has already done theirs yet.

I went 12.6 @108 on a livernois 100 octane tune and the UP intercooler in the fusion sport. I only have the livernois tune on the edge sport currently but UP intercooler is next. Look forward to the same stunned faces when I take it to the dragstrip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, handfiler said:

Didn't know someone is manufacturing edge specific inter coolers. Got a link?

look for Ultimate performance.com out of arizona also CARID.com has AFE intercooler with custom piping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eddie368 said:

look for Ultimate performance.com out of arizona also CARID.com has AFE intercooler with custom piping.

New Mexico, not Az

18 hours ago, handfiler said:

Didn't know someone is manufacturing edge specific inter coolers. Got a link?

Been making intercoolers and dowpipes since 2017

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got one with a Garret core with less than 3k miles on it for sale. Save 350.00 off new. (500) There is virtually no power loss from heat soak with this IC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 9:29 PM, handfiler said:

Didn't know someone is manufacturing edge specific inter coolers. Got a link?

 

Its on the ultimate parts thread 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ultimate After Market Parts Thread:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 2:58 PM, eddie368 said:

Has anyone installed a Ultimate Performance intercooler and then a tune? If so ,How much of a performance gain have you seen? Any dyno numbers? I'm getting ready to install  my UP intercooler in the next two weeks then a dyno tune.Just checking to see if anyone has already done theirs yet.

 

the intercooler itself will most likely not net a massive performance gain, what it does do is limit the boost temp range.  most i have seen with the UP intercooler is about 155 on a 90 degree day after and 120mph pull.... on stock intercooler you would see north of 205~210.

 

And of course a tune would help you take advantage of the additional head room.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will not have a gain from an Intercooler.  What you will have is less power lost due to heat soaking.  You will have lower charge air temps so you will keep consistent power throughout the pull, where you would normally lose power the harder you drive due to the charge air temp increasing from the heat generated by compressing the air and the turbos being hot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

You will not have a gain from an Intercooler.  What you will have is less power lost due to heat soaking.  You will have lower charge air temps so you will keep consistent power throughout the pull, where you would normally lose power the harder you drive due to the charge air temp increasing from the heat generated by compressing the air and the turbos being hot. 

 

 I guess you're not including the flow difference of high performance cores?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Special_K said:

 

 I guess you're not including the flow difference of high performance cores?

 

If you can show me flow numbers comparing the stock to this IC and that it flows better than stock then sure.  But I have not seen or heard that the stock system is a bottleneck in any way shape or form.  But sure if it can miraculously get more boost pressure and air to the throttle body then fine.  And show me Dyno numbers that show changing to this IC gets more horsepower because I bet if it adds any it is nothing substantial compared to a tune, bigger turbos, better flowing downpipes or anything else.  Either way without numbers it is best to say you will just not lose as much power when the cold side air temps are cooler than without this unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes Special K and I just have to ask ourselves why do we even bother with our research and development let alone the sharing of the information considering most aren't using it because they don't try to do a little research before making uninformed comments & questions.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, boostededge said:

Someone get one and do a before/after on a Dynojet otherwise its all hearsay. 

 

Wouldnt be feasible as the stock tune is airflow and load based.  once it hits its target tq/airflow it will pull boost and timing to hold it, this applies to aftermarket tunes also.  Which is why for the longest time people around here said the "intake wasnt a restriction".  

 

14 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

 

If you can show me flow numbers comparing the stock to this IC and that it flows better than stock then sure.  But I have not seen or heard that the stock system is a bottleneck in any way shape or form.  But sure if it can miraculously get more boost pressure and air to the throttle body then fine.  And show me Dyno numbers that show changing to this IC gets more horsepower because I bet if it adds any it is nothing substantial compared to a tune, bigger turbos, better flowing downpipes or anything else.  Either way without numbers it is best to say you will just not lose as much power when the cold side air temps are cooler than without this unit. 

 

Would be hard to provide 1 for 1 flow numbers as the ultimate performance with a garret core is about 40% more area if my memory serves me right.  However, the garret core has larger bars, more fins, and more area....hence better flow and cooling.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

They are just trying to play catchup and are jelly of your achievements thus far!

 

I keep forgetting that @snmjim and i know nothing lol

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Special_K said:

 

Wouldnt be feasible as the stock tune is airflow and load based.  once it hits its target tq/airflow it will pull boost and timing to hold it, this applies to aftermarket tunes also.  Which is why for the longest time people around here said the "intake wasnt a restriction".  

 

 

Would be hard to provide 1 for 1 flow numbers as the ultimate performance with a garret core is about 40% more area if my memory serves me right.  However, the garret core has larger bars, more fins, and more area....hence better flow and cooling.

 

Yes it has more area for cooling which is why it is much better than the stock unit. 

 

But as you have stated the tunes, either stock or after market, are torque limited so flow does not matter in this case.  So the only true gains are the fact that you have less loss.  Which is of course a great thing especially if you were on a track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fight for colder, denser air is always worth it when done right.  And a performance intercooler is a big step forward.

 

This is on a SHO, with the same limitations that any of the Ford boosted transverse platforms have:  space

SHO-Intercooler-Only.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The factory one is good for most people in daily driving but anyone who likes to not lose power while they are driving aggressively, having fun, really does need an aftermarket one.  I just wish there were more options for them and they were direct fit, no drilling, like the Focus ST ones.  I paid a whopping $350 for the Depo Racing 3.5 Son of the Beast IC when I had that car and it took a whopping hour to put it on.  No drilling and nothing more than some normal hand tool required.  Sure you had to take the front fascia off but that was pretty easy on the Focus, I have not looked to see what the Edge requires to remove it but I am sure it is probably just as easy.  On the Focus it was very noticeable once it was replaced that you were not losing power anymore.  Heck it kept charge air temps within 5-7 degrees from start to finish of running through the gears to over 100MPH from a stop, a delta that was 70+ degrees with the stock unit.  Heck I can tell you that with my stock tune back on my Edge that the 0-60 measured with my draggy is around 5.6s at 32 degrees now and I managed a 1/4 mile time of 13.87s@99.87mph at that temp.  On the stock tune I never got below 14s or under 5.67ishs 0-60 with temps that were higher.   So imagine what these engines could do with Charge Air Temps that did not climb 70+ degrees from start to finish of a 1/4 mile run.  I have checked the temps and once they rise they do not come back down until after you let off the gas and are done having fun.  Compared to the tuned Focus ST pushing around 23-24psi of boost when it was 80 degrees out that the temps all stayed withing 5-7 degrees start to finish when havi0ng fun. 

 

I lease so I am still up in the air on if I want to get one.  Heck when I got the tune and FMIC for the Focus I only had it about 6 more months before I traded the lease in early for the Edge so I am reluctant if I want to spend the money or drill holes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 7:55 AM, jamie1073 said:

The factory one is good for most people in daily driving but anyone who likes to not lose power while they are driving aggressively, having fun, really does need an aftermarket one.  I just wish there were more options for them and they were direct fit, no drilling, like the Focus ST ones.  I paid a whopping $350 for the Depo Racing 3.5 Son of the Beast IC when I had that car and it took a whopping hour to put it on.  No drilling and nothing more than some normal hand tool required.  Sure you had to take the front fascia off but that was pretty easy on the Focus, I have not looked to see what the Edge requires to remove it but I am sure it is probably just as easy.  On the Focus it was very noticeable once it was replaced that you were not losing power anymore.  Heck it kept charge air temps within 5-7 degrees from start to finish of running through the gears to over 100MPH from a stop, a delta that was 70+ degrees with the stock unit.  Heck I can tell you that with my stock tune back on my Edge that the 0-60 measured with my draggy is around 5.6s at 32 degrees now and I managed a 1/4 mile time of 13.87s@99.87mph at that temp.  On the stock tune I never got below 14s or under 5.67ishs 0-60 with temps that were higher.   So imagine what these engines could do with Charge Air Temps that did not climb 70+ degrees from start to finish of a 1/4 mile run.  I have checked the temps and once they rise they do not come back down until after you let off the gas and are done having fun.  Compared to the tuned Focus ST pushing around 23-24psi of boost when it was 80 degrees out that the temps all stayed withing 5-7 degrees start to finish when havi0ng fun. 

 

I lease so I am still up in the air on if I want to get one.  Heck when I got the tune and FMIC for the Focus I only had it about 6 more months before I traded the lease in early for the Edge so I am reluctant if I want to spend the money or drill holes. 

 

Well let give you some insight, if you like to drive your edge aggressively in the slightest you would immediately benefit from an intercooler.  stock intercooler on a 0-95mph pull in a 85 degree day boost temps will see 200 degrees and if you keep pulling you will see 220+.  lets not even talk about some backroads fun..... ill have to dig up the logs...but we saw north of 240 in the summer.
 

There would be no way to do a plug and play larger intercooler on this platform as the AGS blocks you from going deeper and the core support limits width.  Most of us here just cut off the AGS and put in the intercooler, honestly its not a massive job.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Special_K said:

 

Well let give you some insight, if you like to drive your edge aggressively in the slightest you would immediately benefit from an intercooler.  stock intercooler on a 0-95mph pull in a 85 degree day boost temps will see 200 degrees and if you keep pulling you will see 220+.  lets not even talk about some backroads fun..... ill have to dig up the logs...but we saw north of 240 in the summer.
 

There would be no way to do a plug and play larger intercooler on this platform as the AGS blocks you from going deeper and the core support limits width.  Most of us here just cut off the AGS and put in the intercooler, honestly its not a massive job.  

 

I am not sure where you thought I did not understand the need for a larger/better intercooler.  I have been and am all for one.  I know the AGS has to be removed, and never said plug and play.  I just would like one that 'bolts' up to the stock holes or area without modification other than removal of the AGS.  On the Focus the FMIC was pretty much bolt on, at least the one I got, and was only $350 and was size wise, increase in cooling area, about  the same as we are talking here if not more.  I do not recall off the top of my head.  It was very effective at keeping the charge air temp delta, cold side, to withing 5-7 degrees start to finish.  Either way I lease so I want to be able to pull the bumper cover, remove AGS and Stock FMIC and install new FMIC and put the bumper cover back on, like I did with my Focus ST.  I know when I turn it in they would not notice the holes drilled when returned to stock but I still do not want to have to drill. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

 

I am not sure where you thought I did not understand the need for a larger/better intercooler.  I have been and am all for one.  I know the AGS has to be removed, and never said plug and play.  I just would like one that 'bolts' up to the stock holes or area without modification other than removal of the AGS.  On the Focus the FMIC was pretty much bolt on, at least the one I got, and was only $350 and was size wise, increase in cooling area, about  the same as we are talking here if not more.  I do not recall off the top of my head.  It was very effective at keeping the charge air temp delta, cold side, to withing 5-7 degrees start to finish.  Either way I lease so I want to be able to pull the bumper cover, remove AGS and Stock FMIC and install new FMIC and put the bumper cover back on, like I did with my Focus ST.  I know when I turn it in they would not notice the holes drilled when returned to stock but I still do not want to have to drill. 

 

Misunderstood, sorry man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×