Ultimate performance Intercooler

eddie368

jamie1073

FYI

The only MODs necessary to install the UP IC is the removal or cutting off of the lower IC section of the AGS and cutting back of the front section of the cooling table support bracket about 1".

NOTE TO ADMIN: 

We had this MOD & many others posted on this Forums site with very detailed DIY with Pics however, many of those have dissapeared therefore we no longer put the extensive effort out to post these.

Edited by snmjim

1 minute ago, snmjim said:

jamie1073

FYI

The only MODs necessary to install the UP IC is the removal or cutting off of the lower IC section of the AGS and cutting back of the front section of cooling table support bracket about 1".

NOTE TO ADMIN: 

We had this MOD & many others posted on this Forums site with very detailed DIY with Pics however, many of those have dissapeared therefore we no longer put the extensive effort out to post these.

@akirby

That was due to the previous software being really old and losing data when they migrated to newer software.  Can't promise that won't happen in the future but that's the only time I've seen that happen across 4 or 5 similar forums over the last 15 years.   But it's still up to you if you want to take that risk or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 7:55 AM, jamie1073 said:

The factory one is good for most people in daily driving but anyone who likes to not lose power while they are driving aggressively, having fun, really does need an aftermarket one.  I just wish there were more options for them and they were direct fit, no drilling, like the Focus ST ones.  I paid a whopping $350 for the Depo Racing 3.5 Son of the Beast IC when I had that car and it took a whopping hour to put it on.  No drilling and nothing more than some normal hand tool required.  Sure you had to take the front fascia off but that was pretty easy on the Focus, I have not looked to see what the Edge requires to remove it but I am sure it is probably just as easy.  On the Focus it was very noticeable once it was replaced that you were not losing power anymore.  Heck it kept charge air temps within 5-7 degrees from start to finish of running through the gears to over 100MPH from a stop, a delta that was 70+ degrees with the stock unit.  Heck I can tell you that with my stock tune back on my Edge that the 0-60 measured with my draggy is around 5.6s at 32 degrees now and I managed a 1/4 mile time of 13.87s@99.87mph at that temp.  On the stock tune I never got below 14s or under 5.67ishs 0-60 with temps that were higher.   So imagine what these engines could do with Charge Air Temps that did not climb 70+ degrees from start to finish of a 1/4 mile run.  I have checked the temps and once they rise they do not come back down until after you let off the gas and are done having fun.  Compared to the tuned Focus ST pushing around 23-24psi of boost when it was 80 degrees out that the temps all stayed withing 5-7 degrees start to finish when havi0ng fun. 

I lease so I am still up in the air on if I want to get one.  Heck when I got the tune and FMIC for the Focus I only had it about 6 more months before I traded the lease in early for the Edge so I am reluctant if I want to spend the money or drill holes. 

Here's your answer to removing the front fascia:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, snmjim said:

Here's your answer to removing the front fascia:

I saw how to remove it from another set of instructions.  My problem as I have stated is I LEASE the vehicle and it has to be returned to stock at turn in.  Sure they may not see the drill holes, but two posts up people are saying to cut the AGS in half.  Lol!  I would remove the AGS myself.  I was more comparing to the amount of options available for the Focus ST and most were just bolt right up.  Sadly this seems to be the only option for the Edge and is twice the price of the same type of unit the Focus has had.  What can I say I also don't like drilling holes. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested......

Ultimate Performance offered the FMIC for $750 for the Garret core. 

I know you're saying its after Black Friday........ a day after Cyber Monday.....

If you call and simply ask if they will give you the price as a courtesy, they will gladly extend the sale price for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

For those that are interested......

Ultimate Performance offered the FMIC for $750 for the Garret core. 

I know you're saying its after Black Friday........ a day after Cyber Monday.....

If you call and simply ask if they will give you the price as a courtesy, they will gladly extend the sale price for you. 

Oh sign me up for one.....wait a minute.....

• Haha 3

• 6 months later...

2020-06-16.jpg

Pulling the front fascia/bumper via the ford manual wasn't the best. It has you pulling the tires, and half pulling the wheel well liners to get to the 3 bolts on each side that hold the bumper on. Screw that noise. Pull the headlights and get them from above.

Removing the stock FMIC was a PITA. I dropped the lower rad support, disconnected the Cold and Hotside charge pipes. The did a pry wiggle to pop off the FMIC mounting Hooks off the rad. Thankfully the UP FMIC does not use the same setup, lol.

2020-06-16.jpg2020-06-16.jpg

2020-06-16.jpg

Big size difference. Not as big as the 5.5" core on my Focus ST though, lmao!

2020-06-18.jpg

2020-06-18.jpg

Had to shim out the TMAP sensor. If installed normally, the O-ring overshot the flange and did not seal at all. If this becomes problematic aka boost leak, then I will have to re-address it. The O ring is sealing tight now. Hopefully it stays that way.

2020-06-18.jpg

2020-06-18.jpg

2020-06-18.jpg

These parts hit, took the angle grinder to them, then cleaned them up with a razor knife. I need to do the same to the closest inside dimple on both sides. The front air damn piece has some curvature to it, and those hit as well.

2020-06-18.jpg

2020-06-18.jpg

2020-06-18.jpg

Pried off the front overhanging plastic due to it hitting on the radiator lower support cross member. Hit it with some paint afterwards. Rust and all.

2020-06-16.jpg

Re-used the factory hose clamp assemblies, and torqued the crap out of them. You have to push the FMIC as far to the passenger side as possible to get enough clearance to get the cold side hooked up. It took me awhile to get my Ramfab pipe installed. It fits very precisely, once I got it all aligned, it was fantastic.

2020-06-16.jpg

2020-06-16.jpg

Removed all the AGS shutters, screw that system. Known point of failure on the Focus ST platform, failing closed is no bueno. I still have the motor installed/plugged in, and kept the shrowding for mounting/airflow reasons.

Its a lot of FMIC for that space, and the OEM lower grill covers a large portion. I have a more open lower grill arriving via Ebay next week. I'll do before and after pics. I also need to loosen the fmic mounting bolts, and push up on the unit to level it out and possible buy me a little better fitment, not that there's a lot of vertical play in the mounting slots.

Going to have to pull the front end again to finish the AEM water meth setup, but right now she rips. Throttle response is better despite having a larger FMIC, that Ramfab pipe really helps. Im on a Unleashed 93 base ish map. Excited to get tuned for the FMIC, coldside, and of course the water meth!!!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/9/2020 at 5:38 PM, 97novi2k said:

Going to order my intercooler tomorrow. Install doesn’t look to bad but time consuming. Thanks for posting the pics above

It's not bad. I ended up straightening the fmic out, by loosening the mounting bolts, and very gently using a jack to apply a tiny bit of upwards pressure then I tightened it down. Also cut out the extra lil nubs from undertray/airdam piece that were hitting the fmic. It fits much better now.

I have the ebay lower grill, just been real lazy and havent installed it or wired up the meth yet.

If you run into any issues or q's shoot me a message and I'll try to help you out.

How long in all did it take, probably going to do it here in a few weeks when I have a window

Who else has done upgrades comp turbos? Anyone tried to run with the LMS 93 tune? Looking for a little more power but not wanting to go crazy like the BNR turbos. Not even sure LMS will update for them, might have to go with someone else

16 hours ago, 97novi2k said:

How long in all did it take, probably going to do it here in a few weeks when I have a window

Who else has done upgrades comp turbos? Anyone tried to run with the LMS 93 tune? Looking for a little more power but not wanting to go crazy like the BNR turbos. Not even sure LMS will update for them, might have to go with someone else

Do your homework, we've put all the answers in this forum site:

And here:

Ford 

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

If anyone has this Intercooler and wants to sell it let me know. UP is 2 weeks before I will get one and have an opening to work on the edge next weekend so if I can get one sooner than would be great.

Also I have done my homework and searched but I did not find the answer, that’s why I asked. Xtra said they worked with stock tune but never got an answer with LMS tune and no revisions

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...