Lowering the ST

cyclenut66

• 9 months later...

I have wondered the same thing.  Now, I started checking into the stock ST springs and H&R springs.  Just what I found and not saying it is spot on correct, but.  

The stock ST springs are heavier set of springs than the Sport springs.  Ford beefed up the ST springs and sway bar for a bit better handling than the Sport models.  It is my understanding that the H&R springs will fit fine, but one would loose the change that Ford made with the ST.  

For me, I wanted to keep the ST springs for that reason and hope H&R comes out with a set of springs for the ST.  

Edited by Sage

Just checked the part number on the box that is still sitting in my garage.  Those are the ones that I put on, 28759-2 .

The springs dropped the car and inch or so (a little bit more) and it looks ALOT better (looked good before, now it looks really good).  They are a little bit stiffer.  I wasn't sure at first, but they are stiffer over bumps and such.  I think my issue there was that I would have liked stiffer and lower.  I would also like stiffer sway bars.  It handles a bit better around corners, but I haven't had a chance to race it or anything like that.

When someone comes out with new stiffer and lower springs I'll get those (or even better, coil-overs).  Until then, I am loving these and don't regret them at all!

One note I will say, if you are DIY'ing it, the rear was tougher than I expected even after getting the service directions from Ford.  People talk about dropping the sub-frame.  I have done that on other cars and it wasn't bad.  I was stubborn on this and ended up cutting a set of spring compressors to get them in there and get the springs out.  Obviously you need to be careful doing it, but it worked for me.  Dropping the subframe may very well been easier.  In hindsight I should have done some more research.  The springs go in pretty easy without compressors.

Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned that the ride would be too harsh. The ST looks a lot better when lowered and sitting level, especially with that rear fender gap.

I'm not sure if I'll put them on myself or not but it looks like there's a good write up here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wQ3WRD6zvzHaAbxE3hCZpyKIwbBI3-Gs/view from this thread. https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22579-hr-sport-springs-on-g2-edge-sport/?page=7

I have installed  lowering springs and coilovers on previous vehicles and they are always a bit of a pain in the butt. I don't have the time I used to, plus it's winter out and I don't have a heated garage, so I may just have a shop do it this time. Otherwise I'll wait until warmer weather, but In the meantime, I'm going to get the LMS tune and have some fun with that. :)

Edited by Gregertech

• 2 months later...

Good info. Just bought the wife a ‘19 ST a couple weeks ago and am curious about lowering. Wife is worried she won’t like the ride, I didn’t realize Ford did a heavier spring on ST than the Sport. I too will wait for an ST specific spring and until the stock ones need to be replaced. Thanks for the info, members, 

5 hours ago, Lunar_ST said:

Good info. Just bought the wife a ‘19 ST a couple weeks ago and am curious about lowering. Wife is worried she won’t like the ride, I didn’t realize Ford did a heavier spring on ST than the Sport. I too will wait for an ST specific spring and until the stock ones need to be replaced. Thanks for the info, members, 

You may never change them then. The Edge community is not big into aftermarket support. So Companies dont really invest much due to lack of return. It took me over 2 years of monthly emails to get H&R to make springs for 2nd gen Edge. Eibach used to make springs for 1st gens and stopped cause nobody was buying. Steeda used to make sway bars but stopped for same reason. I doubt you will see another spring from a big name brand. Coilovers from Fusion work also. With that said. My Edge Sport has lowering springs and rear motor mount and my wife has been primary driver for most of the 2 or 3 years its been lowered. She has never complained about the ride and she thinks modding cars is stupid and a waste of money (included that to show she is not used to riding lowered vehicles)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

You may never change them then. The Edge community is not big into aftermarket support. So Companies dont really invest much due to lack of return. It took me over 2 years of monthly emails to get H&R to make springs for 2nd gen Edge. Eibach used to make springs for 1st gens and stopped cause nobody was buying. Steeda used to make sway bars but stopped for same reason. I doubt you will see another spring from a big name brand. Coilovers from Fusion work also. With that said. My Edge Sport has lowering springs and rear motor mount and my wife has been primary driver for most of the 2 or 3 years its been lowered. She has never complained about the ride and she thinks modding cars is stupid and a waste of money (included that to show she is not used to riding lowered vehicles)

yeah that’s what I’m starting to realize. I knew that would be an issue when I realized how little forums there are for the Edge. Luckily there is this one and some FB groups for info. Good to know about your wife’s opinion of the ride. My wife feels the same way about modding and she will be the primary driver of this vehicle once things normalize. For now, I drive it to the store for provisions when need be. 

I just lowered mine and my wife hates modded vehicles too but got to lower the edge. She doesn't notice any difference, although to me the odd thing is it actually seemed to be stiffer with the winters but ride better with the summers/factory rims and tires. Handling is definitely improved though.

• 1 year later...

I put them on my 2021 ST Line and it’s been a nightmare. It looks sharp and sporty but i’m at the point now where i’m having them put back to stock springs next week because I can’t get the bouncing under control. On the highway it feels like i’m in a boat bouncing side to side and it’s a scary feeling. Has anyone had any success? 

7B398AEA-1C3B-4007-9216-6A9D1BCC697D.jpeg

57056C24-F4DA-4140-8FEC-CD641BA987D1.jpeg

20 hours ago, Fritz said:

I put them on my 2021 ST Line and it’s been a nightmare. It looks sharp and sporty but i’m at the point now where i’m having them put back to stock springs next week because I can’t get the bouncing under control. On the highway it feels like i’m in a boat bouncing side to side and it’s a scary feeling. Has anyone had any success? 

I think something is wrong with your install. These characteristics are not what 99% of the lowered Edges have experienced.

Do you have any advise? The guy that did them is a hack. He also didn’t drop the back end and took every nut and bolt apart to get the springs in. Could loosening everything up while on the hoist have made everything too loose? Yesterday I dropped the rear suspension properly and put the springs and put them back in but i’m still getting the back end wobble 

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

Do you have any advise? The guy that did them is a hack. He also didn’t drop the back end and took every nut and bolt apart to get the springs in. Could loosening everything up while on the hoist have made everything too loose? Yesterday I dropped the rear suspension properly and put the springs and put them back in but i’m still getting the back end wobble 

If he missed tightening up any of the bolts involved with the suspension yes definitely!

15 hours ago, Fritz said:

Have you got an alignment to put the rear crossmember back in place?

5 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Have you got an alignment to put the rear crossmember back in place?

I had my tires re balanced and an alignment. A lot of threads online say shorter shocks but they don’t make them for the edge. Right now it just feels like i’m driving on my rear springs with no shocks. I thought maybe my 22” rims could have been a problem so I put my stock rims on but nothing changed. 

9 hours ago, Fritz said:

I had my tires re balanced and an alignment. A lot of threads online say shorter shocks but they don’t make them for the edge. Right now it just feels like i’m driving on my rear springs with no shocks. I thought maybe my 22” rims could have been a problem so I put my stock rims on but nothing changed. 

In this case that wouldn't help. Probably 80-90% who lowered an Edge are using stock shocks and struts, the other 10-20% with B6's, with no reported issues on here like what you are having reported on here or facebook. Likely something went wrong with your install, I know there are performance/import(they do alot of lowering jobs) shops in toronto, maybe they can help you out. A typical shop likely won't help with anything outside of OEM.

1 hour ago, Nick Halstead said:

Maybe they installed your springs upside down? I dont even know if thats a thing. I think its impossible to mix front/rear

It is a thing but unless H&R put the labeling on the springs upside down his pictures show them being the proper way, that would cause his issue though with these springs.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:49 PM, Fritz said:

7B398AEA-1C3B-4007-9216-6A9D1BCC697D.jpeg

57056C24-F4DA-4140-8FEC-CD641BA987D1.jpeg

These characteristics are that of a very off alignment and or bad shocks.  would start with alignment first.  

We use the H&R springs on track days and love them

20 minutes ago, Special_K said:

These characteristics are that of a very off alignment and or bad shocks.  would start with alignment first.  

We use the H&R springs on track days and love them

I had an alignment done and the shocks are brand new. It’s a brand new edge. They only other shocks they offer is Bilstein B6 which I bought and didn’t make a difference