Adaptive Cruise Control W/Lane Centering

Sage

I have been trying out the lane centering while on adaptive cruise control and for the most part, my ST just moves from the left side of the painted lines to the center, sort of.  When on a long straight, it hugs the left painted strip.  Has anyone else been trying it and and what have you found when using it.  The lanes I have tried it on are standard width lanes and well painted.  I do not take my hands off the wheel when trying this, as in just a second or two it gives alert that hands off the steering wheel is detected. 

Edited by Sage
Title and better input?

There are 2 systems. Lane keep will basically bounce you off the lanes without any attempt to center. It is activated by the button on the turn signal stock. It can be used without cruise control on. Lane centering is the system that keeps you centered in the lane. It is used only when cruise control is on and can be activated or deactivated With the button on the steering wheel. They both work very well for me. 

• Like 1

Thank you, @Sage, for this thread, although I'd respectfully suggest that you re-title it to something like "Lane Keeping Assist vs. Lane Centering", if the editing function allows, since this is about that specific Co-Pilot360 question.

First, a disclaimer:  I've actually read the owner's manual on both systems, a couple of times.  Regarding Sage's question, I'm going to start focusing on "how centered my Lane Centering appears to be", then I'll comment on that here; up to now, I've told myself that possibly there's a degree of adaptive learning going on, & I'm not much of one to let loose of the wheel, lol.

Now to a different, related matter:  Prior to my 2019, my 2016 Edge had only one of those two features, the Lane Keeping Assist, which, as others have said, works when cruise control is off; I would say that it works "whether cruise is off or on", except that while Lane Keeping Assist would work either way on my 2016, I've found that if I'm using adaptive cruise on my 2019 with Lane Centering activated & Lane Keeping Assist turned on, the Lane Keeping Assist seems to only very weakly give me the steering wheel vibrations if I begin to drift out of a lane--if at all.  So I'm wondering whether there's a conflict between Lane Centering & Lane Keeping Assist when they're both activated.  The 2019 owner's manual doesn't say Lane Keeping Assist should only be turned on when not using cruise control + Lane Centering, yet to me, for both systems to be nudging the vehicle toward the center of the lane at the same time seems redundant, if it doesn't actually cause a conflict.  Has anyone else noticed Lane Keeping Assist seeming to balk at giving steering-wheel vibrations/nudges--even when its sensitivity is set to high--while Lane Centering is also turned on?

53 minutes ago, TomCinMI said:

Thank you, @Sage, for this thread, although I'd respectfully suggest that you re-title it to something like "Lane Keeping Assist vs. Lane Centering", if the editing function allows, since this is about that specific Co-Pilot360 question.

First, a disclaimer:  I've actually read the owner's manual on both systems, a couple of times.  Regarding Sage's question, I'm going to start focusing on "how centered my Lane Centering appears to be", then I'll comment on that here; up to now, I've told myself that possibly there's a degree of adaptive learning going on, & I'm not much of one to let loose of the wheel, lol.

Now to a different, related matter:  Prior to my 2019, my 2016 Edge had only one of those two features, the Lane Keeping Assist, which, as others have said, works when cruise control is off; I would say that it works "whether cruise is off or on", except that while Lane Keeping Assist would work either way on my 2016, I've found that if I'm using adaptive cruise on my 2019 with Lane Centering activated & Lane Keeping Assist turned on, the Lane Keeping Assist seems to only very weakly give me the steering wheel vibrations if I begin to drift out of a lane--if at all.  So I'm wondering whether there's a conflict between Lane Centering & Lane Keeping Assist when they're both activated.  The 2019 owner's manual doesn't say Lane Keeping Assist should only be turned on when not using cruise control + Lane Centering, yet to me, for both systems to be nudging the vehicle toward the center of the lane at the same time seems redundant, if it doesn't actually cause a conflict.  Has anyone else noticed Lane Keeping Assist seeming to balk at giving steering-wheel vibrations/nudges--even when its sensitivity is set to high--while Lane Centering is also turned on?

Thanks for the input, the lane centering works with Adaptive Cruise Control, so I have changed the title and info to better reflect that. 

I think

Edited by Sage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomCinMI said:

Lane keep assist does not actually do any physical intervention in keeping you on the road. All it does is vibrate the stearing wheel to tell you that you are nearing or crossing the line, like you are starting to drive on a rumble strip to tell you that you need to turn the wheel to stay more on the road. It does not actually turn the wheels itself. 

Edited by Perblue

40 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Lane keep assist does not actually do any physical intervention in keeping you on the road. All it does is vibrate the stearing wheel to tell you that you are nearing or crossing the line, like you are starting to drive on a rumble strip to tell you that you need to turn the wheel to stay more on the road. It does not actually turn the wheels itself. 

Ah but it does move the wheel  if you set it to.  There are 3 options, vibrate, move or do both.  It will indeed nudge you back into the lane if you enable it to.  I played with both and I do not have lane centering since I do not have the 401a package since I did not want all that stuff I would not use. 

And, as I referenced, Lane Keeping Assist also has different sensitivity settings through the instrument display, i.e., vibrating &/or nudging the driver relatively lightly, relatively firmly, or not at all.

Now I hope that someone will be able to shed light on what I asked, above, about the interaction between Lane Keeping Assist & Lane Centering on 2019 vehicles with both features.

15 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

Ah but it does move the wheel  if you set it to.  There are 3 options, vibrate, move or do both.  It will indeed nudge you back into the lane if you enable it to.  I played with both and I do not have lane centering since I do not have the 401a package since I did not want all that stuff I would not use. 

I must have missed that in all I read. Something new to play with.

3 hours ago, Perblue said:

I must have missed that in all I read. Something new to play with.

LOL!  Yeah it defaults to just normal sensitivity and vibrate only. You have to manually change it. 

As for how they work together I can nont answer OP's question since I do not have both systems. 

6 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

I found that while resting my hand on the wheel I tend to force it to compensate for the light steering input i create. It will feel like it’s fighting me a bit to favor one side of the lane. If you remove your hands completely it will find center again. 

That would be in keeping with how the system is billed to operate by Ford, as long as by "compensate" you mean that Lane Centering is trying to push the vehicle more toward the lane's center than is your steering input at the moment.

Since you're someone else with a 2019 that has both systems, are you noticing any conflict between them when both are turned on while cruising?  On those occasions, like me, have you found that the Lane Keeping seems to vibrate the wheel &/or nudge the steering less noticeably (or not at all) while Lane Centering is also on?

7 hours ago, TomCinMI said:

That would be in keeping with how the system is billed to operate by Ford, as long as by "compensate" you mean that Lane Centering is trying to push the vehicle more toward the lane's center than is your steering input at the moment.

Since you're someone else with a 2019 that has both systems, are you noticing any conflict between them when both are turned on while cruising?  On those occasions, like me, have you found that the Lane Keeping seems to vibrate the wheel &/or nudge the steering less noticeably (or not at all) while Lane Centering is also on?

I believe both systems will work simultaneously. I don’t use lane keep though so I can’t confirm for sure.  

7 hours ago, TomCinMI said:

When you  have them both on I assume you have the lane keeping set to assist and not just vibrate correct?  To test why not set the lane keeping to alert only, then when the lane centering on you would not be using the lane keeping to turn the wheel.  I really do not see why the lane keeping would even need to be 'on and active' if the centering is working, the keeping should never need to correct I assume if the centering is working properly and doing its job. 

I have noticed that if I go around a curve with lane centering on, it puts me very close to the left line, close enough that lane keep assist starts to vibrate the wheel. 

I like the lane centering, however, it does seem to want to fight me sometimes. Mine also feels like it prefers to stay very close to the left line. I also should note that my steering wheel isn't straight from the factory. When I brought this up with the dealership, they said I get one free alignment with the warranty, and that I should wait to see if it fixes itself, or gets worse. When they do that alignment, I'm going to see if they can also calibrate the lane centering, if that is an option. 

1 hour ago, Sage said:

I stopped by the dealer today and the service advisor is going to look into this and let me know.  We both feel there is be a way of checking/re-calibrating the setup.  I will post what I find out, may take a few days.  

Thanks in advance for returning to give us feedback.

4 hours ago, benk016 said:

I have noticed that if I go around a curve with lane centering on, it puts me very close to the left line, close enough that lane keep assist starts to vibrate the wheel. 

I like the lane centering, however, it does seem to want to fight me sometimes. Mine also feels like it prefers to stay very close to the left line. I also should note that my steering wheel isn't straight from the factory. When I brought this up with the dealership, they said I get one free alignment with the warranty, and that I should wait to see if it fixes itself, or gets worse. When they do that alignment, I'm going to see if they can also calibrate the lane centering, if that is an option. 

As complex as Edge stock steering wheels are, with all the functions linked to them, what steering wheel mod have you done?

6 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

When you  have them both on I assume you have the lane keeping set to assist and not just vibrate correct?  To test why not set the lane keeping to alert only, then when the lane centering on you would not be using the lane keeping to turn the wheel.  I really do not see why the lane keeping would even need to be 'on and active' if the centering is working, the keeping should never need to correct I assume if the centering is working properly and doing its job. 

I find the fact that the owner's manual makes no mention of the compatibility, or not, of the two systems to be an oversight by the company; if there was something against using them together, surely Ford should state it.  I was "that close" to bouncing the question off of Ford Owner (& still am) when Sage started this thread, so I decided to exchange some thoughts here.  As most, or all, of you realize, Lane Keeping doesn't activate until above 40 mph, after it's been turned on, & I'd prefer to just keep it on, so it stays ready to work when I get above 40 in a non-highway situation or while I'm accelerating between 40 & cruising speed upon entering the freeway.  I saw a YouTube video about 10 days ago in which someone said that if Lane Centering isn't detecting one of the lines, then Lane Keeping will at least nudge the vehicle toward the center from the one discernible line, as a backup; I don't recall who posted that video, but I didn't give it huge credibility because I noted that the guy isn't an engineer.  Turning Lane Keeping on & off--then on again & off again--depending on the circumstances, would get tedious, so as I said, naturally the preference would be to simply keep it on & let it supplement Lane Centering as I've described, provided there isn't a conflict.

To reiterate, when both systems are on & I'm using Adaptive Cruise on the highway, my Lane Keeping only seems to vibrate the wheel weakly/unreliably (even with sensitivity set to high).  And, so far, I've not noticed the Lane Keeping kicking in to nudge the Edge when Lane Centering temporarily isn't detecting a line; I'll try to keep in mind to put that to the test.  Maybe I will end up configuring for vibrate-only on LK, although LK's steering torque could also be helpful if LC hiccups.

20 hours ago, TomCinMI said:

As complex as Edge stock steering wheels are, with all the functions linked to them, what steering wheel mod have you done?

I just meant that when going straight down the road, my steering wheel is turned about a half inch to the left. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TomCinMI said:

I find the fact that the owner's manual makes no mention of the compatibility, or not, of the two systems to be an oversight by the company; if there was something against using them together, surely Ford should state it.  I was "that close" to bouncing the question off of Ford Owner (& still am) when Sage started this thread, so I decided to exchange some thoughts here.  As most, or all, of you realize, Lane Keeping doesn't activate until above 40 mph, after it's been turned on, & I'd prefer to just keep it on, so it stays ready to work when I get above 40 in a non-highway situation or while I'm accelerating between 40 & cruising speed upon entering the freeway.  I saw a YouTube video about 10 days ago in which someone said that if Lane Centering isn't detecting one of the lines, then Lane Keeping will at least nudge the vehicle toward the center from the one discernible line, as a backup; I don't recall who posted that video, but I didn't give it huge credibility because I noted that the guy isn't an engineer.  Turning Lane Keeping on & off--then on again & off again--depending on the circumstances, would get tedious, so as I said, naturally the preference would be to simply keep it on & let it supplement Lane Centering as I've described, provided there isn't a conflict.

To reiterate, when both systems are on & I'm using Adaptive Cruise on the highway, my Lane Keeping only seems to vibrate the wheel weakly/unreliably (even with sensitivity set to high).  And, so far, I've not noticed the Lane Keeping kicking in to nudge the Edge when Lane Centering temporarily isn't detecting a line; I'll try to keep in mind to put that to the test.  Maybe I will end up configuring for vibrate-only on LK, although LK's steering torque could also be helpful if LC hiccups.

I've had both on and like I said in my last post, going around a curve, lane centering keeps it so close to the left line, that lane keeping will kick in. Usually it will just vibrate, but at least twice I have felt it kick in and push the car away from that line. They definitely do work together. 

I think if they didn't work together, if you turned one on, the other would turn on off on its own. 

Lane Keeping and Lane Centering are two independent systems that can work together or separately.  Lane Keeping uses only the camera, while Lane Centering combines input from the camera and the radar module.  If Lane Centering can't pick up the lines, then Lane Keeping won't be able to either, though Lane Keeping will still work if it can only pick up one line, while Lane Centering will not.

Lane Keeping works differently depending on how you have it set up.  If you have it in "both" mode, it will allow you to go further across the line before if gives you the vibration than if it's in "Alert" mode.  But if you have Lane Centering on and are actively steering the vehicle towards the line, then it's already applying a correction torque, even as you cross over the line.  That correction torque is probably damping out the vibration that you feel.

• Like 1