Jump to content
Ford Edge Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flymore

No source button

Recommended Posts

I'm enjoying my Edge, but one thing I really miss from my Chevy is the source button on the steering wheel.

The source button allowed me to switch from AM, FM, CD, Siris XM and alternate input.

 

The only way to switch sources is to activate the voice command or take my hand from the wheel and eyes off the road?

This is a bit annoying with other people in the car and you're talking to them.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buttons on the top right of the steering is what I use to switch source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can change the input with the 4 way arrows on the right side of the steering wheel. Its not as easy as pushing one button until you get to the source you want, but is doable. 

When your right cluster screen is showing the current channel or song, press right, and it will give you a list of sources. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I'll keep playing around with it.

 

 

wheel.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also miss the source button from my 2011. The right menu works but requires more concentration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three annoyances,

 

1. No source button. Using the menu or keypad distracts you from driving.

2. You have to turn the cruise on every single time you start the car. My previous car had a button that locked in the on setting.

3. Dual climate control has to be chosen every time you start the car - why doesn't it just leave dual climate on!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flymore said:

Three annoyances,

 

1. No source button. Using the menu or keypad distracts you from driving.

2. You have to turn the cruise on every single time you start the car. My previous car had a button that locked in the on setting.

3. Dual climate control has to be chosen every time you start the car - why doesn't it just leave dual climate on!

 

 

 

A button would be better but you can always use voice commands to change sources.  Almost all new vehicles default cruise control to off for safety.  What exactly are you trying to do with the climate control?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely agree that a source button would be helpful but with all of the available sources you would still need to do navigate to your preferred source.  You can use the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel to interact with the right side IPC and navigate your sources.  Or you can hit the sound button and that will pull you out of android auto/ car play and you can interact with your sources that way.

 

You can set the cruise control to your preferred speed. You just have to start it and stop it manually. I am not aware of any car that engages cruise control as soon as you start your car.

 

Climate control is set to resume the last setting. If you have dual climate on it will be on when you star your car. The only way that changes is if the passenger decides to make a change to their temp etc. If you do not go back into climate control to set it back to dual then it will resume the individual settings until you switch it back to dual. 

 

HTH

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, akirby said:

 

A button would be better but you can always use voice commands to change sources.  Almost all new vehicles default cruise control to off for safety.  What exactly are you trying to do with the climate control?  

With the climate control I have to go in menus and turn on DUAL, so my wife can have a different temperature on her side of the car than mine.

Would like to have DUAL on by default, there is no safety issue here with DUAL climate.


I don't see the risk with leaving the cruise on, it doesn't engage unless you press SET and the car is moving over 25mph. So how is having the cruise off safer?

 

Yes I can change the source with a voice command, I have to hold down the voice command button, wait for it to stop speaking then say what source I want and sometimes it doesn't understand me. A simple button would save time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 9:18 PM, onyxbfly said:

I definitely agree that a source button would be helpful but with all of the available sources you would still need to do navigate to your preferred source.  You can use the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel to interact with the right side IPC and navigate your sources.  Or you can hit the sound button and that will pull you out of android auto/ car play and you can interact with your sources that way.

 

You can set the cruise control to your preferred speed. You just have to start it and stop it manually. I am not aware of any car that engages cruise control as soon as you start your car.

 

Climate control is set to resume the last setting. If you have dual climate on it will be on when you star your car. The only way that changes is if the passenger decides to make a change to their temp etc. If you do not go back into climate control to set it back to dual then it will resume the individual settings until you switch it back to dual. 

 

HTH

 

 

No I don't mean cruise is "engaged" when you start the car. My Chevy had a switch for cruise you left it on, it was ON when you started the car then when the car was moving you press SET to engage it. With the Edge you always have to turn it on then press SET. Turn it on then press set. Turn it on then press set.

With Chevy it's on so you just press set. Just press set at the speed you want above 25mph. Just press set at the speed you want above 25mph.

 

With my Edge it doesn't remember that I left DUAL on so I can have different temperature than the passenger side. Every time I turn the car on I have to set DUAL and turn on cruise control.

Start the car set DUAL in climate and turn on cruise control.

Start the car set DUAL in climate and turn on cruise control.

  :)

 

I'm now using the buttons on the right hand of the wheel to navigate to source, but it's several steps and I sometimes have to take my eyes off the road.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, flymore said:

With the climate control I have to go in menus and turn on DUAL, so my wife can have a different temperature on her side of the car than mine.

Would like to have DUAL on by default, there is no safety issue here with DUAL climate.


I don't see the risk with leaving the cruise on, it doesn't engage unless you press SET and the car is moving over 25mph. So how is having the cruise off safer?

 

Yes I can change the source with a voice command, I have to hold down the voice command button, wait for it to stop speaking then say what source I want and sometimes it doesn't understand me. A simple button would save time.

 

 All you need to do to set dual mode is change the passenger temp.  You don’t need the menu.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I'll try just having her change the temp.

I noticed that if I change the temp on my side, it changed both sides.

I'll have her try it.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for cruise control every modern car I’ve seen forces you to turn on cruise each time.  It’s a safety feature so you don’t accidentally hit resume or set not realizing cruise was turned on.  Most people don’t use cruise control every time they drive.  I just hit on the. Set the first time.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, flymore said:

Yes I can change the source with a voice command, I have to hold down the voice command button, wait for it to stop speaking then say what source I want and sometimes it doesn't understand me.

 

You don't have to hold the button. Just press & release. Also, if you're familiar with the commands, you can switch voice commands to advanced which will skip most of the talk back you get from the system. Then, pressing the voice commands button the 1st button will give you beep & then you can say the command.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, omar302 said:

 

You don't have to hold the button. Just press & release. Also, if you're familiar with the commands, you can switch voice commands to advanced which will skip most of the talk back you get from the system. Then, pressing the voice commands button the 1st button will give you beep & then you can say the command.

 

The touch and release, doesn't always work...So with my Edge it's more of a hold and release.

I'll look for the advanced option and try that when i get a little more familiar with the system.

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×