2018 Edge Sport vs 2019 Edge ST

Eli

Good morning Eli,

Depends on what you're trying to do.  If you want a better performing SUV with a larger aftermarket parts support get the 18' sport.  The ST is slower stock than the Sport, its only advantage is braking capability with the performance brake package and handling primarily due to summer tires.  Good luck with your purchase and no matter which one you choose, welcome to the family!

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eli said:

Thanks very much!  That clears it up for me.  I'm looking for more straight line speed rather than handling.  Any differences in performance between the 2016, 2017, and 2018 Edge Sport?

Glad i could help, 2016-2018 are all the same (from my knowledge), stay away from 2015 as they had fwd and sync 2 (nightmare system). 

If you follow @snmjim (my father) and myself we are constantly pushing the platform and trying to do bigger and better things, for example we just released downpipes.

Also it doesn't take much to really make the edge stick to the road, shes pretty wide to start with.  just slap some H&R springs and the addco rear swaybar it will feel short of a car. Then add wheels and tires and she sticks like glue!

• Like 1

Last question:  Do you have any reliable 0-60 times for the 2016-2018 Edge Sport?  I've seen ranges anywhere from about 5.7-6.2.  And how much more torque/horsepower could you get with a Stage 1 or 2 tune?  Thanks.

The St and Sport are within a tenth of a second of each other at stock so I'm not sure that should be your deciding factor. Tunes are more evolved on the sport than st but end up currently having close to the same hp even after being tuned, 380-390hp(on motor). The St rides better and handles better than the sport i tested. St also has better headlights and fog lights that actually work and more safety features. Also most if not all bolt on sport mods will work on an ST because it's a refresh not a redesign.

The only real arguments to be made for the sport is if you wanted to save some money and/or you liked the look of the sport better imo.

Edited by Perblue
Edited to make Nick happy.
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Perblue said:

The St and Sport are within a tenth of a second of each other at stock so I'm not sure that should be your deciding factor. Tunes are more evolved on the sport than st but end up currently having close to the same hp even after being tuned, 380-390hp. The St rides better and handles better than the sport i tested. St also has better headlights and fog lights that actually work and more safety features. Also most if not all bolt on sport mods will work on an ST because it's a refresh not a redesign.

The only real arguments to be made for the sport is if you wanted to save some money and/or you liked the look of the sport better imo.

I'm sorry but that is not correct.  Livernois was only able to add 60 ft/lb to the ST due to limitations of the transmission, that is not the case with the sport.

2 minutes ago, Eli said:

Interesting.  Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Special_K said:

I'm sorry but that is not correct.  Livernois was only able to add 60 ft/lb to the ST due to limitations of the transmission, that is not the case with the sport.

But no one knows the true limits of the transmission, that is just where Livernois tunes to.  The Sport has a known trans so they push it further. 

If you are going stock for stock though then I would think go by what you like best, the 19's have some stuff 18's do not.  They are said to handle better, according to the reviews.  If you are going to tune it then of course right now the Sport will get you more power with the current tunes.  Who knows, maybe the ST will end up making more power and blowing the Sport away once someone sees just how much the new Trans can handle.  Hell Ford can't even get the damn thing to shift as good as it was intended with the current software. 

3 hours ago, Special_K said:

How am I wrong? The St started with 30 more than the Sport so doesn't surprise me they got only 60 more from the St. Their own marketing material actually even shows the sport with 360 torque and St with 385. Granted they are showing wheel numbers and I was referring to motor numbers hence the high hp numbers in above post.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631133

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631155

Edited by Perblue

55 minutes ago, Perblue said:

How am I wrong? The St started with 30 more than the Sport so doesn't surprise me they got only 60 more from the St. Their own marketing material actually even shows the sport with 360 torque and St with 385. Granted they are showing wheel numbers and I was referring to motor numbers hence the high hp numbers in above post.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631133

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631155

The Dyno sheets even show the ST with more Torque than the Sport there.  Either way if the ST was tuned to not have low boost off the line it would be much quicker.  They seem to use the same tuning strategy, stock, as they do with the FoST and FiST where they limit boost in the first two gears.  This may be the torque converter as well but it seems to hold just fine in upper gears.  Heck I can consistently hit 18-19 psi if I am in Sport and manual shift around 5500 RPM, well hit the button then.  So if they can program the trans to firm up shifts and allow more boost off the line it should be much quicker tuned.  Heck I am planning on the Livernois tune just for the better shifting and was just waiting for a few revisions or tweaks.  I am sure the Sport tune did not come right out with the power it produces now on the first try. 

Either way it depends on what the OP is looking for.  Some of the updates on the ST may be worth it or if they can find a new Sport still on the lot then and get a great deal and do not want or need the new stuff then so be it. ?  If they want a tune then I am sure the ST's will improve if they go that route.  We have not even seen what Unleashed can do yet. 

6 hours ago, Perblue said:

The St and Sport are within a tenth of a second of each other at stock so I'm not sure that should be your deciding factor. Tunes are more evolved on the sport than st but end up currently having close to the same hp even after being tuned, 380-390hp. The St rides better and handles better than the sport i tested. St also has better headlights and fog lights that actually work and more safety features. Also most if not all bolt on sport mods will work on an ST because it's a refresh not a redesign.

I've yet to see any Edge with 380-390 HP other than Jims. Also, the ST DOES NOT HAVE BETTER LIGHTING. Specially a North American Edge that is regulated to horrible US SPEC LED lighting regulations. HID is still king of lighting.

29 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

I've yet to see any Edge with 380-390 HP other than Jims. Also, the ST DOES NOT HAVE BETTER LIGHTING. Specially a North American Edge that is regulated to horrible US SPEC LED lighting regulations. HID is still king of lighting.

You obviously didn't read my other post so please read above. Livernois is a little over 370 MOTOR with just their tune. With a few other extras you could get there. When people wish it came with 400 hp from factory they aren't talking wheel numbers.

Also yes the housing and beam pattern I find much better than the hids in older models and are by far better than hids I've driven with factory equiped, no they weren't halogen. This is my opinion. You probably haven't even driven one at night.

2 minutes ago, Perblue said:

You obviously didn't read my other post so please read above. Livernois is a little over 370 MOTOR with just their tune. With a few other extras you could get there. When people wish it came with 400 hp from factory they aren't talking wheel numbers.

Also yes the housing and beam pattern I find much better than the hids in older models and are by far better than hids I've driven with factory equiped, no they weren't halogen. This is my opinion. You probably haven't even driven one at night.

I did not read that comment, motor #s are irrelevant, only none car enthusiasts even mention them besides manufacturers. I don't have to drive it at night. As an automotive lighting enthusiast and hobbyist I already know it's capabilities and lack of capabilities. No North American LED light outperforms any North American HID. Now if we are talking Euro Spec LED, thats a different ball game but even then HID will win in depth, it just wont win in lumen or lux output.

3 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

No North American LED light outperforms any North American HID.

The 2016+ Explorer low beam LEDs are much better than the HIDs on 2011-2015 Explorers or even my 2016 Edge HID. That's from my own experience. 

Though it is not much a case of LED being better than HID, but rather Ford's HID being really bad. Even the HIDs on Lincolns are better. My previous 2011 MKX had better HID than my Edge, and newer 2015 MKC & MKS I tried had even better HIDs. 

On 6/5/2019 at 6:36 AM, Eli said:

Just joined the forum because I am thinking about these 2 cars. Which would you guys go with?  Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the forum.  I have not owned a Sport, but have the ST.  I am good with the ST and expect over time more add ons will become available.  It really comes down to what you would like to have and which model offers the best choice for you.  Good luck in your decision.

6 hours ago, Eli said:

Thanks for all the input from everyone.  What does the stock Sport do 0-60?  How about with a tune?

Between  the same reviewers the Sport is 5.7 and the ST is 5.8.  So quicker than say a stock WRX or dead even with a stock STi.  Horrid comparison but there are not many SUV's other than the Euro ones to compare to and they are way more money.   Neither is slow but can be tuned to be quicker. 

7 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

Between  the same reviewers the Sport is 5.7 and the ST is 5.8.  So quicker than say a stock WRX or dead even with a stock STi.  Horrid comparison but there are not many SUV's other than the Euro ones to compare to and they are way more money.   Neither is slow but can be tuned to be quicker. 

Thanks for the info!  I think I will end up going with the Sport and tune it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

I did not read that comment, motor #s are irrelevant, only none car enthusiasts even mention them besides manufacturers. I don't have to drive it at night. As an automotive lighting enthusiast and hobbyist I already know it's capabilities and lack of capabilities. No North American LED light outperforms any North American HID. Now if we are talking Euro Spec LED, thats a different ball game but even then HID will win in depth, it just wont win in lumen or lux output.

Having driven  and owned Ford's with both headlights I will tell you that the LED implementation is better than the bi-Xenon version.  The FoST adaptive ones were nice and better than the Edge ST but only in a straight line since they were adaptive and focused more forward.  Their MKC Bi-X are worse throw and view wise than the Escape headlights.  The Edge is by far a better, brighter, longer viewing depth than the MKC and Escape.  Now compare to my 2003 Benz I had with BiX, the Ford's suck at all of their attempts I have personally driven or been in.  I am curious as to what the Adaptive LED lights look like in the Nautilus though since they are multi-reflector/lights.  But I can tell you the Edge ones are better than some other Bi-X headlights.  I really like the Benz ones though since they were Bi-Xenon main light, for low and high beam, with an added Halogen Hi-Beam for even more light.  

9 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

Having driven  and owned Ford's with both headlights I will tell you that the LED implementation is better than the bi-Xenon version.  The FoST adaptive ones were nice and better than the Edge ST but only in a straight line since they were adaptive and focused more forward.  Their MKC Bi-X are worse throw and view wise than the Escape headlights.  The Edge is by far a better, brighter, longer viewing depth than the MKC and Escape.  Now compare to my 2003 Benz I had with BiX, the Ford's suck at all of their attempts I have personally driven or been in.  I am curious as to what the Adaptive LED lights look like in the Nautilus though since they are multi-reflector/lights.  But I can tell you the Edge ones are better than some other Bi-X headlights.  I really like the Benz ones though since they were Bi-Xenon main light, for low and high beam, with an added Halogen Hi-Beam for even more light.  

Thank you!

It's like with anything there is good and bad. I don't doubt that there are really good hids out there that beat the ST leds but the ford ones I have seen don't, never tried a FoST. It doesn't matter what the specs or technical data tells you if the implementation isn't good. Theory only gets you so far.

14 hours ago, Perblue said:

Thank you!

It's like with anything there is good and bad. I don't doubt that there are really good hids out there that beat the ST leds but the ford ones I have seen don't, never tried a FoST. It doesn't matter what the specs or technical data tells you if the implementation isn't good. Theory only gets you so far.

The funny part is that in the auto industry LED are HID's as well anyway.  They fit the very definition of High Intensity Discharge.  The Euro's do it better because they have more strict rules to follow that the US seem to not use, such as auto leveling and headlight washers.  At least that was the case with my Mercedes, those were required for import but do not seem required for actual US vehicles. 

3 hours ago, cds71 said:

The sport with LMS tune is an incredible sleeper.....Ive had mine since 2015, and I still love driving it.

Not to get to much off topic.  But which tune, 91 or 93 and options. Also what else do you have?  I am looking at it for the ST and have 93 available pretty much everywhere.  I also assume the LMS tunes are somewhat safe, I come from a FoST where they push a little further with some tunes and you have to keep an eye on things.  I want enjoyable without needing to babysit it.  ?