K&N CAI/OEM Swap

Hello all!

My first post on here as I am a new member! Great info resource we have here!

I have just purchased a 2018 Titanium for my wife, and the previous owner swapped out the stock OEM air box assembly for a K&N CAI system (he didn't keep the OEM parts). He also removed the top appearance cover over the top of the engine (I would also like to get this put back on). I would rather go back to the stock look and I am wondering if anyone has put this CAI system in themselves, and if there are any issues with going back to OEM parts? 

If anyone wants to swap stock for K&N CAI, please let me know, otherwise I will just get the OEM parts here locally and sell the K&N system in Classifieds.

Thanks, and thanks for all the information on here!

20190723_161415.jpg

13 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Congrats on your purchase.

I would also look at going back to the stock air intake, which will actually draw in COLD air vs that intake drawing in warm air from the engine compartment.

Thanks for the input ONYXBFLY and 1004ron.

I am getting very crappy MPG in it right now, do any of you think the MPG goes down with the CAI in it? I know it increases HP, and my thoughts are the CAI may cause bad MPG?

1 hour ago, flyn_dutchman said:

I know it increases HP, and my thoughts are the CAI may cause bad MPG?

Actually, that's debatable.  You 'might' have the capability to draw more air into the engine with the aftermarket system but if that's just a lot of hot air and nothing has been done to get more air 'out' of the engine then all the K&N is doing is making noise. 

As for your fuel mileage, what are you getting?  At first I'd suggest using the old paper/pen method (miles/gallons) to check your 'actual' mpg against whatever the digital gauge is showing.  That way you'll know how far off the digital unit is (if any) tank to tank.

While you're calibrating to your new car, use a gps (or app on your phone) to track your MPH figure and compare it against the car's speedo.  You'll probably discover the Edge is reporting a number a little higher than what the GPS shows you. 

Cheers!

• Like 3

The hose that is kinked looks like the clean side PCV.

The MAF housing is capped off too which is strange.

Also, K&N does not list a "cold air" intake on their site for this application. I'm thinking this intake if for something else and does not belong on this vehicle.

I would remove it and put a stock air box back on (maybe with a good performance type filter) and you should see improved mileage right away.

Just my .02 cents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Project_Edge said:

Also, K&N does not list a "cold air" intake on their site for this application. I'm thinking this intake if for something else and does not belong on this vehicle.

I would remove it and put a stock air box back on (maybe with a good performance type filter) and you should see improved mileage right away.

Just my .02 cents.

Thanks for the replies from you and Perblue! I am also worried about that "kink" in the hose. I don't know what it goes to, but that can't be good in any fashion no matter where it goes? I also tried to look up a K&N for my Edge and noticed it did not list one at all, so I think you are on the right track! I am planning on going back to full stock air and appearance cover (he threw them all away!!? (AAAGHHH!)

36 minutes ago, flyn_dutchman said:

Thanks for the replies from you and Perblue! I am also worried about that "kink" in the hose. I don't know what it goes to, but that can't be good in any fashion no matter where it goes? I also tried to look up a K&N for my Edge and noticed it did not list one at all, so I think you are on the right track! I am planning on going back to full stock air and appearance cover (he threw them all away!!? (AAAGHHH!)

Try checking the wrecking yards there have been more than a few edges sold from 2015-18 with the 2.0l. A stock air box from an SE to Titanium with a 2.0L should work fine, if you hadn't considered it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

Try checking the wrecking yards there have been more than a few edges sold from 2015-18 with the 2.0l. A stock air box from an SE to Titanium with a 2.0L should work fine, if you hadn't considered it.

If no one wants to trade with you, and you can't find a used one from a yard.  A new complete assembly is available for $152.82:

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-air-cleaner-assembly-f2gz9600c?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1haXItaW50YWtlJmw9MSZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWZvcmQmbz1lZGdlJnk9MjAxOCZ0PXRpdGFuaXVtJmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

On 7/26/2019 at 10:36 AM, Perblue said:

I thought of that too, as it can't be too hard to find, right? Lol Thanks for the ideas

On 7/26/2019 at 6:08 AM, Project_Edge said:

Just my .02 cents.

So in my endeavor to go back to stock, I need to find out what other parts or hoses, tubes, etc. that I need to replace? You mentioned the "clean side PVC" and MAF housing, both which I have no idea what they are? Can you see in the pic, or is there a place where I can find a "parts list" and exploded view of the  whole system to not miss something? 

Thanks for all your knowledge and help!

11 hours ago, flyn_dutchman said:

So in my endeavor to go back to stock, I need to find out what other parts or hoses, tubes, etc. that I need to replace? You mentioned the "clean side PVC" and MAF housing, both which I have no idea what they are? Can you see in the pic, or is there a place where I can find a "parts list" and exploded view of the  whole system to not miss something? 

Thanks for all your knowledge and help!

I am not totally familiar with the 3.5L NA engine in the Edge but I do know that you will need the entire air intake (including filter) and the hose you see in your pic.

It is kinked and looks like one of the connectors was removed to attach it to the K&N.

As far as the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) I was referring to the K&N intake's MAF housing was capped off providing evidence that it was not meant for your engine.

These pics are from the links provided earlier. Maybe talk to your dealerships parts department to confirm the part numbers and start shopping for deals.2126869786_ScreenShot2019-07-30at7_04_48PM.thumb.png.c63c8c0ab0fca58445c1686691690001.png1130823260_ScreenShot2019-07-30at7_05_02PM.thumb.png.2afef74fb7481109f9784ee693987aa4.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, flyn_dutchman said:

I finally got all the parts and went back to stock Air Cleaner system. I feel better now ? We'll see how/if it changes/improves MPG?

Thanks for everyone's input and help! You guys Rock!

How's she running? Better? Did you put a good filter in like a K&N or AEM DryFlow?

1 hour ago, Project_Edge said:

Nothing really. But you can get better air-flow with a K&N or AEM Dryflow.

The stock air filter is designed to accommodate max flow (wide open throttle at high rpm) without a pressure drop that could impact performance - very few folks would operate near max flow, so unless you're racing and want to squeeze out every minute bit of performance, there'd be nothing gained paying a premium for those filters.

• Like 1