Upgrade to sync 3.4

Other than the color scheme I've got no complaints and noticed numerous hands free and sirius radio improvements. I can't stand ads and most driving around is 5 -10 minutes so get annoyed with starting streaming services so yes i pay the 70 bucks a year.

Edited by Perblue

On 9/18/2020 at 7:40 PM, Brometheous17 said:

If you use android auto it adds the map display on your dash on the right digital display. It also has updated maps. I think the radio function also might have some updated features too. I've found it works better with the ford pass for my edge.

i had read about that and was hoping that it would but i don't have navigation. i use android auto with google maps which is one of the reasons i ordered my edge without nav. but i still only see entertainment and phone on the right display on the instrument cluster.

22 hours ago, IT_Guy71 said:

I used to be able to browse my usb music collection while driving after waiting 3-4 minutes EVERY TIME THE CAR STARTS for it to index the entire drive.

this is really a long shot but just in case it helps. i was having a problem with the USB stick disappearing every time i restarted. someone suggested that the drive was corrupted or something so i stuck it in the windows machine and used the repair function and it actually worked! no more disappearing drive. hearing of your problem, i'm wondering if the cause could be something similar. i would try repairing the drive and if that fails, maybe copy everything on it onto a hard disk, reformatting the drive and then putting it back. just a thought since if i had to wait 5 min while this farking thing indexed i would drive my edge into a tree.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:49 AM, onyxbfly said:

I did a few co workers, my brothers '15 sport, my lady's '13SEL with SYNC3 swap and last but not least my '17 sport. You can install SYNC 3.4 on any SYNC 3 equipped edge. 16-18MY. The 19+ comes equipped with SYNC 3.3 which makes upgrading to 3.4 relatively easier.

I swapped out my 13LTD to sync 3.3 curious if your 13SEL with 3.4 had any issues to note. Looking to update to 3.4

7 hours ago, jmr061 said:

Use the proper update supplied by Ford through the Ford SYNC update site.

That's what I'm using and that's why I'm asking here. Here's a screenshot. That's why Im asking if it is designed to work with the 4.2" screen?

My 4.2" screen says it has SYNC3 3.3.### right now. 

Capture+_2020-10-07-08-11-23.png

2 hours ago, IcyFridge said:

That's what I'm using and that's why I'm asking here. Here's a screenshot. That's why Im asking if it is designed to work with the 4.2" screen?

My 4.2" screen says it has SYNC3 3.3.### right now. 

Capture+_2020-10-07-08-11-23.png

Install it, that is the update meant for your vehicle.  Your vehicle has what Ford refers to as SYNC3 Lite.

20 hours ago, IcyFridge said:

So it still would use the Sync3 3.4 update? right now it says I have the SYNC3 3.3.#### firmware. 

Yes, it's version 3.4 of "SYNC with MyFord" (see comparison here). When you see people talk about SYNC 3 ver 3.3 or 3.4, that's referring to the 8" screens. Your newest version of "SYNC with MyFord" just happens to the same version number as SYNC 3 v3.4.

As IcyFridge said, if you enter your VIN with Ford (as you have), just install the file they give you, it's the correct one.  If for some reason you download the wrong version from a forum or something, it will give you an error message and it won't install - so that's not something you have to worry about accidentally doing.

Edited by DaMiFo

Does anyone know what fuse to pull on a 2019 to reset the Sync? I upgraded to the 3.4 version on my 4.2" and it has a weird glitch where sometimes I start the car and it is stuck on the radio screen. The volume controls don't work. I can press anything else (as if the radio was on). I have to turn the radio on and then off to get to the clock screen.

Also after turning off the radio, the screen will go to the clock and glitch the radio screen briefly. As in glitch, I mean it will flash the radio screen a split second after the clock screen comes on.

I've tried a master reset, pulling fuse 32, and a hard reboot (power and seek up) with no change. I think I pulled the wrong fuse. The radio presets stay there, which indicates that it hasn't been truly reset. After a hard reboot, the radio works fine until the car is turned off and it goes right back to being "glitchy".

Edited by IcyFridge

45 minutes ago, IcyFridge said:

Does anyone know what fuse to pull on a 2019 to reset the Sync? I upgraded to the 3.4 version on my 4.2" and it has a weird glitch where sometimes I start the car and it is on the radio screen. The volume controls don't work. I can press anything else. I have to turn the radio on and then off to get to the clock screen.

Also after turning off the radio, the screen will go to the clock and glitch the radio screen briefly.

I've tried a master reset, pulling fuse 32, and a hard reboot (power and seek up) with no change. I think I pulled the wrong fuse.

Master Reset is the most you can do, if it did not fix your issue then it is probably something else. If it is under warranty let your dealer handle it. I don't know if the basic Sync can be re-flashed again or not without a dealer's equipment. Maybe try to run the update again and see if works.

OK. Another update here: Using the Cyanlabs sync update does not work with the 4.2" screen at all!! It did install the 8" touch screen version and the results were... interesting.  I couldn't do anything on the Sync. Fortunately I had the Ford website version saved, so I installed that again. Screen now went blank, radio volume worked, and reverse camera worked. That's it.

The only way I could get it working again was to pull Fuse 33 for the Radio under the footwell. And now it's back to the same initial glitchy mess. I just flashed it again with a new USB drive and let's see what happens.

I may have the dealer check it out regardless, just in case that blank screen wasn't just a fluke.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 6:49 AM, onyxbfly said:

I did a few co workers, my brothers '15 sport, my lady's '13SEL with SYNC3 swap and last but not least my '17 sport. You can install SYNC 3.4 on any SYNC 3 equipped edge. 16-18MY. The 19+ comes equipped with SYNC 3.3 which makes upgrading to 3.4 relatively easier.

When you did this on the Sync 3 swap radio, did you have to reflash everything with your forscan profile? Been thinking about doing this with my wife's swapped sync 3 radio as well. She has a 14 limited that I swapped last year.

1 hour ago, HUTCHRED said:

When you did this on the Sync 3 swap radio, did you have to reflash everything with your forscan profile? Been thinking about doing this with my wife's swapped sync 3 radio as well. She has a 14 limited that I swapped last year.

Yes, it's a process. Sometimes its plug and play and others you have to program via FORScan.

14 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Yes, it's a process. Sometimes its plug and play and others you have to program via FORScan.

gotcha, I was hoping I didnt have to do reprogram with forscan again since I did it when I did the swap. Was hoping I could just upgrade to 3.4 right from the current build.

Thanks for the info

Just now, HUTCHRED said:

gotcha, I was hoping I didnt have to do reprogram with forscan again since I did it when I did the swap. Was hoping I could just upgrade to 3.4 right from the current build.

Thanks for the info

In your original query you mentioned the SYNC3 swap. Hence my reply.

But if you already have completed the swap and and completed your programing etc. Then you can upgrade to SYNC3.4 with nothing needed to be changed via FORScan.

Apologies for the misinformation. Clearly I need an extra cup or two and start firing on all cylinders.

1 minute ago, onyxbfly said:

In your original query you mentioned the SYNC3 swap. Hence my reply.

But if you already have completed the swap and and completed your programing etc. Then you can upgrade to SYNC3.4 with nothing needed to be changed via FORScan.

Apologies for the misinformation. Clearly I need an extra cup or two and start firing on all cylinders.

No worries at all. My wording was a bit confusing when I went back and read it. I appreciate the info. I think I might go ahead and give this a go.

As always, I appreciate the info.

• Like 1