anyone here use an impact driver when changing wheels?

ben senise

i bought a battery electric 1/2" impact driver on sale last year. i made sure that i could return it since the torque on the lug nuts on our edges is so high. sure enough, the driver couldn't break them to loosen them so i took it back.

i just saw a great price on what looks to me to be a pretty beefy impact driver. the description states "Up to 700 ft-lbs of max torque and 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque."

does anyone here use an electric impact driver that can loosen these lug nuts? if so, what is its breakaway torque? i'm just wondering how much i would need to get the lug nuts off.

thanks

My dealership used an impact wrench on my 2017 Sport for its first couple of tire rotations, and chipped the coating on my wheels and damaged the two-part lug nuts.

Ford replaced the lug nuts and I do all tire rotations without using my impact wrench on them.

If you're home you probably have a breaker bar and 21mm socket to break the lugs loose.  For road emergencies I replaced the OEM lug wrench with this: https://amzn.to/2ZJz6Ct
It breaks lugs loose fairly easily (it extends out a ways so gives you extra leverage).  If it's used just to loosen the lugs slightly your impact wrench will have a much easier time spinning them off the rest of the way.  It collapses to a compact size and stores away in its own pouch with the spare tire. image.thumb.png.4fbc93a7dc6f32fadf31af81cad6fad7.png

Edited by Gadgetjq
Added photo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

If you're home you probably have a breaker bar and 21mm socket to break the lugs loose.  For road emergencies I replaced the OEM lug wrench with this: https://amzn.to/2ZJz6Ct
It breaks lugs loose fairly easily (it extends out a ways so gives you extra leverage).  If it's used just to loosen the lugs slightly your impact wrench will have a much easier time spinning them off the rest of the way.  It collapses to a compact size and stores away in its own pouch with the spare tire. 

yes, i have a breaker bar and socket. i even leave them in the edge so i don't have to deal with the stock stuff if i have to change a tire on the road. i have been using the breaker bar on wheels for years. i just thought about the impact wrench because of a fantastic deal that i found. it would just make changing wheels for the winter that much easier.

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Bought this one a few months ago.  Breaks loose my 150 lb/ft f150 lug nuts without even trying hard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NVSQSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks @akirby. that's exactly what i was wondering; how much torque is needed to loosen these lug nuts.

I few years ago I bought a kit with an ultra-compact (nose-to-rear-tool measurement of only 5-7/32" (132 mm) 1/2" square anvil drive with friction ring system.  Regular pricey at CAD $329.99 + tax; I bought it on sale for about 35% off, I believe.  It has 3-speed range selector switch: lower range (0-1200 RPM/0-1650 BPM), medium range (0-1700 RPM/0-2510 BPM) and higher range (0-2800 RPM/0-3300 BPM) to adjust to the task, built-in LED work light with time-delay, and remaining battery power LED indicator.  The kit came with the 1/2" brushless impact wrench, two 2Ah batteries, 35-minute fast charger, belt clip and carrying case.  It delivers up to 165 ft-lbs of maximum torque which is plenty for my 2011 Edge (100 ft-lb torque recommended by the owner's manual).  It has been able to ALWAYS bust off the wheel nuts but, I ALWAYS use a torque-limiting extension stick to avoid overtorque ;) and then finish tightening up with an accurate torque wrench.   The gun is small and light enough to fit in the glove compartment (but I put it on the cargo for the road). ...And it can change four sets of wheels (two cars, 16 wheels!) off and on only one full charge, and still it has plenty of juice left to go for more...

HIGHLY recommended.

image.thumb.png.57d8fa5fe23de079a91876c93b5b39c5.png

image.thumb.png.70787fca87cecf859d2276c7c25451ab.png

Edited by Edgingage
wrong math! lol

I am sure I am not stating something most already know, but I purchased a 21mm that is design to greatly reduce the possibly of damaging the wheel.  It has a coating on it and I leave that and my breaker bar in the Edge all the time.  

39 minutes ago, Sage said:

I am sure I am not stating something most already know, but I purchased a 21mm that is design to greatly reduce the possibly of damaging the wheel.  It has a coating on it and I leave that and my breaker bar in the Edge all the time.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XMDSJC/?coliid=I1ZARASLP4FJ20&colid=7FQZRUTL8DOG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I like them and believe they'll be of benefit to those that spin the nuts completely off with an impact wrench - I haven't bought one yet because  so infrequently take my wheels off and do it by hand.

71EGULArWtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

Just to clarify my use of the gun I posted above, no intention to "sell" off my tool, not of any personal benefit to me; in any case it's just free ad:

I don't spin the nuts completely at full torque; I just use it to break off and to tight up.  It works like a pistol trigger: set at high speed range (0-3300 BPM) with full trigger pressure gives full torque; once the nut breaks loose you release the pressure off the trigger and instantly decreases the spin to a nice very slow unscrew.  It does the same in reverse mode set at low speed range (0-1200 RPM).  You control the torque/spin with the finger pressure on the trigger...

The OP/TS was asking about an impact wrench; that's way I'm giving the info about mine. Bear in mind that my 2011 Edge requires only 100 ft-lbs torque.  This gun does a great job for that torque.

I have electric (corded) and also compressor air nut busters, one even with digital display to set the torque.  None of them compare with this little portable gun for the its job and convenience.

Edited by Edgingage

22 hours ago, 1004ron said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XMDSJC/?coliid=I1ZARASLP4FJ20&colid=7FQZRUTL8DOG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I like them and believe they'll be of benefit to those that spin the nuts completely off with an impact wrench - I haven't bought one yet because  so infrequently take my wheels off and do it by hand.

71EGULArWtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Maybe it's the other way around, for non impact-gun users.  I found the exact same product on the Canadian side (double the price: CDN $22.35 + tax), but the interesting part is that it reads:

"Not intended for use with pneumatic or air tools"

So, my interpretation is that it's not intended for use with an impact wrench.

Edited by Edgingage

1 hour ago, Edgingage said:

Maybe it's the other way around, for non impact-gun users.  I found the exact same product on the Canadian side (double the price: CDN $22.35 + tax), but the interesting part is that it reads:

"Not intended for use with pneumatic or air tools"

So, my interpretation is that it's not intended for use with an impact wrench.

I guess it depends on the seller. According to the manufacturer its rated for impact use.

Titan 211121

Scroll down to view the manufacturer information. I have the extended length version and always use the (400 ft/pound) impact gun to loosen and the torque wrench to tighten. Never had an issue with it.

You're right, impact sockets are a lot beefier.

I've watched the tech's at my dealership use the pneumatic impact tool and when the lug nut comes off the thread the nut and socket smack the wheels, and my wheels have the scars to show.

I first encountered the Ford lug nuts with the soft aluminium outer layer when I took my wife's Mustang in for new tires - I had to purchase a set of lug nuts from the fitment shop.

Ford supplied a full set of the same type of lug nuts when I found that the dealership had damaged them - because the nuts "swell" the dealership use a 22mm socket which makes it worse for the owner when they attempt to use the standard 21mm socket or the emergency wrench in the trunk.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15339991/swollen-lug-nuts-are-costing-ford-drivers-time-and-money-lawsuit-claims/

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-2.09.57-PM-626

Edited by 1004ron

On 7/20/2020 at 11:47 AM, Edgingage said:

I few years ago I bought a kit with an ultra-compact (nose-to-rear-tool measurement of only 5-7/32" (132 mm) 1/2" square anvil drive with friction ring system.

thanks, that's the kind of info i was looking for.

2 hours ago, 1004ron said:

because the nuts "swell"

i was tightening my nuts once and didn't have the socket on quite far enough and i distorted the outermost part. couldn't get the socket back on the nut and had to replace it.

swollen nuts are a pain!  ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, handfiler said:

I guess it depends on the seller. According to the manufacturer its rated for impact use.

Titan 211121

Scroll down to view the manufacturer information. I have the extended length version and always use the (400 ft/pound) impact gun to loosen and the torque wrench to tighten. Never had an issue with it.

Yes, you're right, it depends on the seller.  I also scrolled further down to the 177 reviews for the socket cited by Sage and linked by 1004ron and found out that also depends on the reviewer (I like to read the critical reviews as well).

For me that type of socket is a no-no with impact tools; but that's not the main subject in this thread.  My apologies...

Edited by Edgingage

4 hours ago, ben senise said:
On 7/20/2020 at 3:47 PM, Edgingage said:

I few years ago I bought a kit with an ultra-compact (nose-to-rear-tool measurement of only 5-7/32" (132 mm) 1/2" square anvil drive with friction ring system. 

thanks, that's the kind of info i was looking for.

Glad to help :)

Edited by Edgingage

On 7/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, Edgingage said:

I few years ago I bought a kit with an ultra-compact (nose-to-rear-tool measurement of only 5-7/32" (132 mm) 1/2" square anvil drive with friction ring system.  Regular pricey at CAD $329.99 + tax; I bought it on sale for about 35% off, I believe.  It has 3-speed range selector switch: lower range (0-1200 RPM/0-1650 BPM), medium range (0-1700 RPM/0-2510 BPM) and higher range (0-2800 RPM/0-3300 BPM) to adjust to the task, built-in LED work light with time-delay, and remaining battery power LED indicator.  The kit came with the 1/2" brushless impact wrench, two 2Ah batteries, 35-minute fast charger, belt clip and carrying case.  It delivers up to 165 ft-lbs of maximum torque which is plenty for my 2011 Edge (100 ft-lb torque recommended by the owner's manual).  It has been able to ALWAYS bust off the wheel nuts but, I ALWAYS use a torque-limiting extension stick to avoid overtorque ;) and then finish tightening up with an accurate torque wrench.   The gun is small and light enough to fit in the glove compartment (but I put it on the cargo for the road). ...And it can change four sets of wheels (two cars, 16 wheels!) off and on only one full charge, and still it has plenty of juice left to go for more...

HIGHLY recommended.

image.thumb.png.57d8fa5fe23de079a91876c93b5b39c5.png

image.thumb.png.70787fca87cecf859d2276c7c25451ab.png

This is a Canadian Tire house brand tool only available in Canada AFAIK. A few years back I bought an impact gun of this brand only to have both batteries fail in less than a year. The price for replacements was so high I gave the tool away. I see they have redesigned them to work with 20V Dewalt Max batteries now. A step in the right direction.

Yes, I also did a recent search (after my post) and found out they now have two newer models of the same tool with lots more torque, but bulkier, of course.

BTW, they say that the DeWalt batteries won't fit, have to be their proprietary batteries.  All mine over three years now, so far so good ?, but I'm not a heavy duty user, I admit.

Edited by Edgingage