First oil change 2.0 EcoBoost

JGW Texas

I just got my 2020 Edge last month. This is my first EcoBoost. Have had the v6 in older Edge in the past. I am reading about the Turbos being harder on oil and want to start using full synthetic with my first oil change. Any suggestions as to what mileage you suggest for first oil change to get the OEM blend out? 
Appreciate suggestions from Other 2.0 owners. I am not a fan of trusting the IOLM! 

Unfortunately, it is too early to provide a reliabiity rating on the SN+ full synthetic oils, as mileage has yet to accumulate on most of its' users.  If you look at the makeup of the virgin oils, they look like clones LOL.

So for normal oil change intervals, any full synthetic that has the SN+ certification should do just fine.  If you get into extended interval changes, or if you drive your vehicle hard, that's where the differentiation is.

Also recommend using a quality full synthetic filter when available, if not using OEM Motorcraft 910S.

• Like 1

You don't trust a feature designed by the engineers at Ford who know everything about the engine and have done millions of miles of testing and simulations, but you do trust a bunch of strangers on the Internet??

That being said I've always run Mobil 1 full synthetic with Motorcraft filters.  I don't put a lot of miles on my cars, so I end up changing it yearly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I plan on keeping my 2017 Sport for a long time and have been using Mobil 1 from the first oil change with Motorcraft oil filters.

Many will say I'm over conservative, but at the cost of my DIY oil changes I'm good with my chosen 5K mile interval.

I drive very sedately and at the time of my 5K mile oil changes the IOLM indicates remaining oil life around 50%, which means if I went by that I'd be doing oil changes at around 10K miles, which of course I'd never consider.

Photo_20200411_124534.JPG

Photo_20200411_124551.JPG

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Waldo said:

You don't trust a feature designed by the engineers at Ford who know everything about the engine and have done millions of miles of testing and simulations, but you do trust a bunch of strangers on the Internet??

I have had bad experience with Ford's IOLM. On the 2011 MKX, even though it was supposed to be an intelligent monitor, it was simply a miles counter. 100% would trigger at exactly 16k km regardless of driving conditions. Thankfully, that year it had the option to set a lower percentage so I used to set it to 40 or 50% and hence it will warn me at ~6000 to 8000 km.

On my current 2016 Edge Sport, the IOLM is totally broken. When changing oil at 8000 km, the IOLM would be reading 97% oil life balance! The dealer tried to fix it by replacing the PCM, which did fix it temporarily, but after a reset it went broke again. Following up with my dealer seems to be a dead end, unfortunately, he is the only dealer in this country!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

I have had bad experience with Ford's IOLM. On the 2011 MKX, even though it was supposed to be an intelligent monitor, it was simply a miles counter. 100% would trigger at exactly 16k km regardless of driving conditions. Thankfully, that year it had the option to set a lower percentage so I used to set it to 40 or 50% and hence it will warn me at ~6000 to 8000 km.

On my current 2016 Edge Sport, the IOLM is totally broken. When changing oil at 8000 km, the IOLM would be reading 97% oil life balance! The dealer tried to fix it by replacing the PCM, which did fix it temporarily, but after a reset it went broke again. Following up with my dealer seems to be a dead end, unfortunately, he is the only dealer in this country!

Ok so its not just me. In my previous edge I knew I could set the IOLM intervals. I wonder what bean counter said they can save xxx amount of dollars by removing that feature in the 15+ edges. 

• Like 3

Well, I agree that IOLM was designed by Ford engineers. I never said it’s bad. I said I don’t always trust it. It is IMO part science and part marketing. I would never run the synthetic  blend that dealers push And change at 10k per IOLM  in a turbo. Marketing wants you to believe maintenance costs are lower. If only the IOLM could know what oil and filter I use!