New Motorcraft oil filter FL-2062-A vs the FL-2062

1004ron

1 minute ago, onyxbfly said:

Say What? I have a 2017 sport as well. Never saw a PTU sensor indication. Then again I try to stay on top of my fluids so it may have never been triggered.

I too have never seen the dashboard indication.

I disconnect the sensor to get clearer access to the fill plug, and one time forgot to reconnect it so when I turned on the ignition I got an error code.

Wonder if there's a way to access the temp reading with an OBDII device?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I too have never seen the dashboard indication.

I disconnect the sensor to get clearer access to the fill plug, and one time forgot to reconnect it so when I turned on the ignition I got an error code.

I can see how that can happen. That's a great question. If it can be accessed it would be great if it can be enabled to be displayed. 

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

There is a PID for it and with ForScan I can read the temp. That's how I knew my 2016 Edge Sport had it. I use the Android ForScan lite with an OBDLink MX Bluetooth.

• Like 3

It has a sensor because that's how it knows to shut down the AWD when it overheats.  But it doesn't show you the temp or tell you that the fluid needs to be changed.   If they know how long it needs to stay over temp or at what temp the fluid breaks down then they could easily notify the driver that it needs to be changed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, omar302 said:

There is a PID for it and with ForScan I can read the temp. That's how I knew my 2016 Edge Sport had it. I use the Android ForScan lite with an OBDLink MX Bluetooth.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that Forscan was available for other OS - paid the $6 and downloaded it on my Samsung tablet that I bought for the solely for use on my BMW motorcycle.

I now have two uses for my only Android device.

i thought i had seen a ptu fluid temp indicator, at least using torque pro, not sure about forscan.  it was on the SHO platform a few years back.  should be available for the Edge/MKX as well i would think. TCFT maybe?

F2GZ-12A648-A Sensor - Engine Coolant Temperature

$68.29
Sender Assy
•    Fit Note:
6 Cyl 2.7L, Hot Weather Group, Hot
Weather Improvement Pack... Show More

EJ5Z-12A648-A Sensor - Engine Coolant Temperature
$48.07 $30.67
Sender Assy
Fit Note:
4 Cyl 2.0L EcoBoost (240PS), Hot
Weather Group, Hot Weath... Show More

DB5Z-12A648-A Sensor - Engine Coolant Temperature
$94.55 $57.20
Fit Note:
6 Cyl 3.5L Cyclone Petrol TIVCT, 6 Cyl
3.7L DOHC, Hot Weather G... Show More

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

I have personally had a warning light come up that said something like AWD is not available and the car loses power. This has happened twice, both times were when I was driving hard for a long period of time. I let the car cool down and then everything is fine. Afterward, I always change both the trans and PTU fluids to be safe. 

• Like 1

First I'd like to apologise for derailing the thread from its original topic. But just a follow-up to the above, my earlier 2011 MKX did NOT have a PTU temp sensor, nor does a 2015 MKS EcoBoost (AWD) I've seen. The AWD off due to overheating on those vehicles would trigger through other means, I don't know if it's a RDU temperature sensor (if there is any) or by some sort of algorithm.

The addition of the PTU temperature sensor, if I recall, was  (or began) for Police Interceptors and it was to trigger a PTU fluid change requirement, not for AWD functionality.

Edit: seems the sensor was first added to 2013 Taurus SHO (PP) and Interceptors as per this site. But it might have been in the 2011 Explorer due to its multi-terrain system & off road intentions. But definitely not on the Edge before 2015.

Edited by omar302

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2021 at 2:33 AM, Cerberus said:

Fair enough

But being an ASE master tech (professional mechanic, with decades of experience)  i was not looking for support, just offering my professional opinion.

Do with that what you will

On 1/6/2021 at 8:26 AM, Cerberus said:

True, but I'm sure you've heard of the 3.5L timing chain driven water pump failure causing oil contamination with coolant and subsequent engine failure, as actually did happen in my 2011 fusion sport.

And yeah, I'm slamming Ford's engineering savvy of putting a water pump inside an engine, such that it water pump replacement requires drivetrain removal

I could go on but I've already made enough people here defensive and dislike me for speaking the truth, so no one is likely to give anything I say any credence anyway.

pissing people off, its like my superpower.

Not to nitpick an "ASE master tech", but I think you mean valve train?  I'm pretty sure the "drivetrain" needs not be removed to do the 3.5L water pump.  Just sayin'.  ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MetalAnon said:

Not to nitpick an "ASE master tech", but I think you mean valve train?  I'm pretty sure the "drivetrain" needs not be removed to do the 3.5L water pump.  Just sayin'.  ?

WRONG sir!

Maybe put on your big boy pants before you try to question someone.

In the 2011 fusion sport, the entire engine & transmission had to be dropped out of the car in order to remove the 'front cover' and access the timing chains, and remove the pump & replace it. 
I bought a table lift that went up 48" to facilitate this task.

Actually in my case I bought a boneyard motor and refreshed it so i could just straight swap the motor and put it back together since i was working in my buddy's garage.. 

feast your eyes on my misery

https://photos.app.goo.gl/muhxQcfvaHDs9Z4e9

Edit, I just noticed the last line of one of the quoted posts, saying that pissing people off was like my superpower.

Somewhat apropos after the shit storm with TheFastestEdge Jim .. which i still feel bad about ..

Edited by Cerberus
clarifications and grammar
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

WRONG sir!

Maybe put on your big boy pants before you try to question someone.

In the 2011 fusion sport, the entire engine & transmission had to be dropped out of the car in order to remove the 'front cover' and access the timing chains, and remove the pump & replace it. 
I bought a table lift that went up 48" to facilitate this task.

Actually in my case I bought a boneyard motor and refreshed it so i could just straight swap the motor and put it back together since i was working in my buddy's garage.. 

feast your eyes on my misery

https://photos.app.goo.gl/muhxQcfvaHDs9Z4e9

Edit, I just noticed the last line of one of the quoted posts, saying that pissing people off was like my superpower.

Somewhat apropos after the shit storm with TheFastestEdge Jim .. which i still feel bad about ..

To be fair this is the Edge forum and the engine and tranny don’t have to be removed to do the water pump so that’s a pretty easy thing to confuse.  How about you back off on the smugness just a tad?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

To be fair this is the Edge forum and the engine and tranny don’t have to be removed to do the water pump so that’s a pretty easy thing to confuse.  How about you back off on the smugness just a tad?

To be fair, I stated the year make and model of the vehicle I was referring, in the text that he quoted.

So yeah, i am right.

Was my response a bit over the top? Sure.

Did I have a couple beers in me? It's possible.

But here's the point, if someone wants come along and question the claims I make,  and attempt impune my credibility on two levels, they better be ready to stand and deliver, or be embarrassed. 

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

To be fair, I stated the year make and model of the vehicle I was referring, in the text that he quoted.

So yeah, i am right.

Was my response a bit over the top? Sure.

Did I have a couple beers in me? It's possible.

But here's the point, if someone wants come along and question the claims I make,  and attempt impune my credibility on two levels, they better be ready to stand and deliver, or be embarrassed. 

I didn’t say you were wrong I said it’s easy to understand why someone was confused.  That’s a big difference between being confused about which vehicle (especially when you’re on one forum talking about a different vehicle) and questioning your expertise.

So here’s my point - dial it back a little or we’ll see who wins the pissing contest with the moderator and it won’t be you.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I didn’t say you were wrong I said it’s easy to understand why someone was confused.  That’s a big difference between being confused about which vehicle (especially when you’re on one forum talking about a different vehicle) and questioning your expertise.

So here’s my point - dial it back a little or we’ll see who wins the pissing contest with the moderator and it won’t be you.

Power tripping much?

I'll make it easy on you and punch my own ticket 

Peace out 

21 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Power tripping much?

I'll make it easy on you and punch my own ticket 

Peace out 

Asking you to dial it back a little is power tripping?  It’s called moderating.

You keep apologizing for acting like a dick (your words) but you keep doing it over and over.  You’re welcome to stay if you’ll just dial back the personal attacks.

• Like 3