New Motorcraft oil filter FL-2062-A vs the FL-2062

1004ron

Looks like there's a new oil filter being sold for our engines, the FL2062-A

Has anyone tried this new Motorcraft filter?

A few negative comments on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-FL-2062-Regular-Oil-Filter/dp/B010QU0SPU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3IWCU0KHXKA4V&dchild=1&keywords=fl2062a%2Bmotorcraft%2Boil%2Bfilter&qid=1604196409&sprefix=fl2062a%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1&th=1

71affaa3-a685-47d7-935a-9a4c9fa75436-jpe

a05faa0f-50aa-40f3-a6aa-b81528717949-jpe

• Like 2

• 1004ron changed the title to New Motorcraft oil filter FL-2062-A vs the FL-2062

I literally just used one. It was off putting at first, but honestly the plastic caps of the original do nothing. The 2062-A filter is a hair longer than the original 2062 but other than that they looked identical. We’ll see what happens, as I check it meticulously. Can always just go with the k&n filter or etc. if this one has issues. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaMiFo said:

Looks like a cost cutting measure (again), at least to me. What are the ends made out of now? Is it just compressed paper between the pleats? I'm glad I bought a bulk pack of the original style a few months ago!

Without having inside information you will never know which is actually better. just not having the end covers doesn't mean it is inferior. Another argument can be made that you actually have more filtering media due to the filter being longer after removing the end-covers. 

Here is a comparison on another site, seems to favor the new design a bit. From that thread the new one seems to have better sealing, o-rings and inside cage.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 2:10 AM, omar302 said:

Without having inside information you will never know which is actually better. just not having the end covers doesn't mean it is inferior. Another argument can be made that you actually have more filtering media due to the filter being longer after removing the end-covers. 

Here is a comparison on another site, seems to favor the new design a bit. From that thread the new one seems to have better sealing, o-rings and inside cage.

Oh I never claimed the original design was better. Once I run out of my bulk pack I'm still sticking with Motorcraft and the A revision, but for time being I'm glad I have a stock of the old stuff while others find more info about these. The plastic ends to me are (most likely false) peace of mind as it just appears to be stiffer, visually.  I know Mustang owners have had some issues with filters collapsing after Ford changed which part to use on their engines (I think the GT350's), so I'm just wary about a change like this.

Edited by DaMiFo

3 hours ago, DaMiFo said:

Oh I never claimed the original design was better. Once I run out of my bulk pack I'm still sticking with Motorcraft and the A revision, but for time being I'm glad I have a stock of the old stuff while others find more info about these. The plastic ends to me are (most likely false) peace of mind as it just appears to be stiffer, visually.  I know Mustang owners have had some issues with filters collapsing after Ford changed which part to use on their engines (I think the GT350's), so I'm just wary about a change like this.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you stated as "Looks like a cost cutting measure" as the filter being inferior to the one before the cost cutting. Nevertheless, Forums are for discussions like these, hope you didn't take my reply as a criticism to you, it is just my opinion on the filters themselves.

• Like 1

I've been using cartridge style filters on German cars for 25+ years and the ends have always looked like the revised filter.   Also, I'm pretty sure all of the Motorcraft filters I've used in the 2.7 look like that too, I can't remember them having the black end caps and the 1st oil change would have been in late 2016.  Once again, much ado about nothing.

Edited by todd92

1 hour ago, todd92 said:

I've been using cartridge style filters on German cars for 25+ years and the ends have always looked like the revised filter.   Also, I'm pretty sure all of the Motorcraft filters I've used in the 2.7 look like that too, I can't remember them having the black end caps and the 1st oil change would have been in late 2016.  Once again, much ado about nothing.

The A version only came on the market this year or late last year, so likely the ones you used in 2016 did have the black plastic end caps.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this thread and the reference links in it.

I was looking into alternative, higher quality filtration options and through the thread referenced on BobIsTheOilGuy site, i found a reference to the FL-2087 which is an OEM synthetic media filter, direct replacement for the 2062(&A) in the GT500 application..

I had a pending order with Amsoil for their replacement for the 2062 which from a distance looks identical to the 2087, but Amsoil's filters are back ordered and i can get this filter at a local ford dealer tomorrow, so that's a win.

FYI, It is a pricey filter ($20+) but i consider that the cost of better insurance, like the best full synthetic oil, for the life of my engine.

youtube vid comparison:

17 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Thanks for this thread and the reference links in it.

I was looking into alternative, higher quality filtration options and through the thread referenced on BobIsTheOilGuy site, i found a reference to the FL-2087 which is an OEM synthetic media filter, direct replacement for the 2062(&A) in the GT500 application..

I had a pending order with Amsoil for their replacement for the 2062 which from a distance looks identical to the 2087, but Amsoil's filters are back ordered and i can get this filter at a local ford dealer tomorrow, so that's a win.

FYI, It is a pricey filter ($20+) but i consider that the cost of better insurance, like the best full synthetic oil, for the life of my engine.

I have read multiple oil analysis reports from many owners posted online, there was never an issue reported of inadequate oil filtering using Motorcraft engine oil filters. The general consensus is that they are at minimum average or better. So I'd trust Ford's recommendation on the oil filter.

Another thing, the GT500 uses thicker oil, 5W-50 vs. the Edge's 5W-30, and probably at a different pressure/flow rate. So the filter medium might be optimized accordingly.

The EcoBoost filter is also branded with EcoBoost, might be a marketing thing, or for a reason.

Finally, the service manual has a note in engine oil drain & refill section regarding the stem o-ring that is not included with the GT500 filter:

NOTE: Failure to install a new oil filter housing stem ­to­ oil reservoir drain port seal will result with the oil flowing through the reservoir drain port and a loss of engine oil pressure.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, omar302 said:

... So I'd trust Ford's recommendation on the oil filter....

Yeah, Ford also said the PTU on my 2011 fusion sport was a lifetime fill, even though several cases of them melting down are well documented. 

A synthetic media filter has more consistent pore size and is capable of better filtration with better flow rates than your basic cellulose filter, so it would be ideal for a heavy hot oil like a 5w-50. This does not make it a bad choice for use with 5w30 though. I tend to run heavier oil than spec anyway..

About the oring, fair point, but I have a few 2062 filters which will be acting as oring donors as needed for my purposes 

20 hours ago, omar302 said:

So I'd trust Ford's recommendation on the oil filter.

Not just a recommendation, its a specification.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Yeah, Ford also said the PTU on my 2011 fusion sport was a lifetime fill, even though several cases of them melting down are well documented. 

A synthetic media filter has more consistent pore size and is capable of better filtration with better flow rates than your basic cellulose filter, so it would be ideal for a heavy hot oil like a 5w-50. This does not make it a bad choice for use with 5w30 though. I tend to run heavier oil than spec anyway..

About the oring, fair point, but I have a few 2062 filters which will be acting as oring donors as needed for my purposes 

I haven't seen a reliable source for the technical specifications for each of the two filters and without that it would be an experiment in the dark, and the same thing goes with experimentation using alternate oil grades.

Not something I would promote our members try especially if still under warranty.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Not just a recommendation, its a specification.

I haven't seen a reliable source for the technical specifications for each of the two filters and without that it would be an experiment in the dark, and the same thing goes with experimentation using alternate oil grades.

Not something I would promote our members try especially if still under warranty.

Fair enough

But being an ASE master tech (professional mechanic, with decades of experience)  i was not looking for support, just offering my professional opinion.

Do with that what you will

13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Fair enough

But being an ASE master tech (professional mechanic, with decades of experience)  i was not looking for support, just offering my professional opinion.

Do with that what you will

I won't get into any sort of competition regarding our qualifications, but need to point out that you suggested that the Ford qualified techs or engineers erred with regards the PTU lifetime fill.

Appreciate that you had good intensions presenting an alternate filter, but from my side I'd like to caution my fellow members that there's no evidence or engineering support confirming that its a safe alternative.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Several cases but still a small percentage of vehicles and some have gone 150k or longer with no problems.

I heard they suspected a build up of tolerances within the gears that caused more heat than expected in some units and operating scenarios.

I have yet to see an engine failure caused by a motorcraft filter or oil.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:48 AM, akirby said:

I have yet to see an engine failure caused by a motorcraft filter or oil.

True, but I'm sure you've heard of the 3.5L timing chain driven water pump failure causing oil contamination with coolant and subsequent engine failure, as actually did happen in my 2011 fusion sport.

And yeah, I'm slamming Ford's engineering savvy of putting a water pump inside an engine, such that it water pump replacement requires drivetrain removal. 

I could go on but I've already made enough people here defensive and dislike me for speaking the truth, so no one is likely to give anything I say any credence anyway.

pissing people off, its like my superpower.

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2021 at 7:46 AM, 1004ron said:

I won't get into any sort of competition regarding our qualifications, but need to point out that you suggested that the Ford qualified techs or engineers erred with regards the PTU lifetime fill.

Appreciate that you had good intensions presenting an alternate filter, but from my side I'd like to caution my fellow members that there's no evidence or engineering support confirming that its a safe alternative.

they did err on the lifetime fill idea of the PTU. .78qts of fluid, handling 3/4 of the total power output from the transaxle for the lifetime of the vehicle is ridiculous.

glad that you can appreciate my intentions.

if you do the reading you'll find that the 2087 if a direct replacement & upgrade for the 2062 in the gt500 application, and I can see no way that it would result in any less of an upgrade in whatever application it was placed into.  but whateves. i'm done.

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

True, but I'm sure you've heard of the 3.5L timing chain driven water pump failure causing oil contamination with coolant and subsequent engine failure, as actually did happen in my 2011 fusion sport.

And yeah, I'm slamming Ford's engineering savvy of putting a water pump inside an engine, such that it water pump replacement requires drivetrain removal. 

I could go on but I've already made enough people here defensive and dislike me for speaking the truth, so no one is likely to give anything I say any credence anyway.

That's not what forums like this are about.

Openly exchange ideas without personal attacks, but also being open to having your ideas challenged.

"speaking the truth" - its not a truth issue - you expressed/presented an opinion, not a "truth". 

9 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

when they turned the 3.5L sideways there wasn’t enough room for the water pump externally in smaller vehicles like the edge without major super expensive modifications to multiple vehicles.  They didn’t just forget that it could be a problem.  At the time, water pump failures were pretty rare.  In hindsight it looks like a terrible decision but like most things it made sense at the time.

As for the PTU fluid - it is lifetime provided it doesn’t get overheated.  Once it gets overheated it starts to fail.  It appears they didn’t anticipate whatever causes the overheating.  It is fair to blame them for not making corrections fast enough.  However, simply adding a fluid change recommendation of 50k miles wouldn’t necessarily help.  If the fluid overheats at 51K it will probably fail before 100K.  The fluid doesn’t wear out unless it overheats.

What they should have done is extend the warranty on both the PTUs and water pump to 100K miles.  But of course that costs money so it becomes a business decision.

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

If the fluid overheats at 51K it will probably fail before 100K.  The fluid doesn’t wear out unless it overheats.

What they should have done is extend the warranty on both the PTUs and water pump to 100K miles.  But of course that costs money so it becomes a business decision.

They should have done what they did with the Police Interceptor & Utility, added a fluid temperature sensor that would trigger and indicate a PTU fluid change requirement when needed.