Battery trouble, will the H6 fit in a Sport?

Xtra

I have a 2016 Sport that I purchased new. The OEM battery is dying and needs rer[placing again. This will be 3 batteries in 3 1/2 years of ownership, and that is an unacceptable failure rate...

The battery that came with the car is the 590CCA Ford (BXT-90T5-590) 9.5L X 6.75W X 7T.

I looked up some part numbers and found that another battery is listed for later EDGE models that have auto-stop / start. This is the Ford (BGAM-48H6-760) with 760CCA 10.94L X 6.89W X 7.48T.  

Does anyone know if the Ford 760CCA-H6 battery will fit in a 2016 Edge Sport that does not have auto start /stop?

The H6  difference is it's,  1.5 inches longer X  exactly the same width X 1/2 inch taller. To me, it looks like it should fit. 

If it does fit, then Optima has a YellowTop H6 Battery with 800CCA that is exactly the same size as the Ford 760CCA-H6.  I have had great luck with Yellowtop batteries, and the Optima H6 with 240CCA more than the stock 560CCA battery will fix the problem.. If it fits.... 

YELLOW TOP H6 SKU 9048-148 MSRP $295.png

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I can't look it up but I put a much larger 750 or 800 cca battery in my 3.5L 2013 SEL, your crazy if you live in the prairie provinces and run any less, and it fit perfect in the battery tray and such. Just took a little more effort to wiggle into place but once there it flopped in. Since they seem to have change the engine bay layout so little from then to now I would be surprised if it didn't fit.

• Like 1

yes, h6 will fit, but i would not recommend optima.  i have 2 redtops just gathering dust right now after only a year of service, despite regular topups and plenty of driving. 

i would go with Deka, or Napa, or Odyssey.  If you are shelling out the $$$, Odyssey is really the way to go.  They make a 34 size battery in the Extreme Performance lineup that will fit perfectly.

• Like 2

WWWP , I like the yellow top battery because it can be completely drained and recharge 300 times. And I have had good luck with them. The Red top has better starting CCA but can’t handle the abuse the yellow top can. The price is so much that I will look at Batteries  you recommend.. I built an electric motorcycle years ago and I used Odyssey on that project they worked great for lead acid tech. 

• Like 1

Confirmed,  H6 sized batteries do fit in 2016 Edge Sports. Just now finished installing an AGM  one.   Most AGM H6 batteries have 700 to 800  CCA and the H6 is a standard size offered by many different manufacturers so it is easy to obtain.

The OEM battery that came with my 2016 Edge Sport has only 610 CCA and much less reserve than an H6, it had to be replaced three times in  3.75 years. 

The only drawback to the H6 is that the H6 is a heavier battery, and the weight is in a bad place for the best handling and performance. Perhaps that is why Ford uses a small battery in the Edge Sport and reserves the H6 for the luxury versions of the Edge and those with auto stop and start. That is how I figgered out that the H6 would fit in a 2016 Sport even though every book and site said that it would not fit.

***** The battery tray is designed to hold an H6 size battery. There is even a threaded bolt hole for the battery clamp.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, mikemike19 said:

I have a titanium 2016 edge and I have the same space than in the sport the H6 is 5/8 inches more in height and do you have enough space to fit this extra height in the hole for the battery Thanks

I have a 2016 sport that I just installed and H7 in last week. H5 H6 and H7 only differ in length. .. and CCA.. and reserve capacity 

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 1

Thank you all. Finally I put an H7 in my 2016 Titanium and it fit perfectly and I find the third hole when I remove old battery because there was a wire over the third hole and I didn't think I was able to fix the battery correctly.

Now with your advice my new battery was fine and well installed in my truck. Why Ford put a small battery in a car with many many electrical accessories. Strange ?????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikemike19 said:

. Why Ford put a small battery in a car with many many electrical accessories. Strange ?????

Costs.

$10 difference times 1 million vehicles....

Plus, in all fairness, I just changed out my original battery from a 2016, so it obviously was not grossly underpowered or a poor choice battery for the application. 

• Like 2