Oil leak & rear main seal.

Toledosfinest

My 2019 Edge ST with 17,000 miles had its 1st major issue. Quick history:. Year ago the clunking from park to drive. Transmission software upgraded.

Six months ago the shifting from first to second gear. Another software upgrade. With all the shaking and clunking in this transmission for the past 1.5 years, the leaks have started. My oil pan has developed a leak. Local Ford dealer advised that the plastic oil pan has a crack. Next I was advised that the rear main seal that is between the engine/transmission is now leaking. I'm guessing all the transmission problems in the past have caused the leaking. Our local Ford dealer advised they will have to drop the transmission to get to the seal. As my car sits for weeks before they can get to it to fix, our dealer did make arrangements for me to have a car rental. For all of you out there that had the transmission problems I have had, keep an eye out for any leaking. It's going to happen. Hopefully when it happens, your Edge is still under warrantee, like mine is. I really miss my ST already.

• Sad 1

Mine is in the shop for the oil pan leak. I'm in a 2020 explorer SXT loaner for at least a week. The pre-2020 pans are not gasketed and are very prone to leaks. There is a TSB that updates it to the 2020 style gasketed pan.  Main rear oil seal leak is new to me though... that definitely sucks. Hopefully it was just oil from the pan blowing around making it appear it was the oil seal. 

23 minutes ago, omar302 said:

The last TSB I saw only updated the 2018 and newer only, not the 2015-2017. Is there a newer TSB?

The old TSB was discussed in this thread.

There is actually 2 .. one is 19-2387 for 2018-2019. the other is 19-2219 for 2015-2017.

OP said they have a 2019 ST though so the 19-2387 should apply. 

Edited by Fingernip

19 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

There is actually 2 .. one is 19-2387 for 2018-2019. the other is 19-2219 for 2015-2017.

OP said they have a 2019 ST though so the 19-2387 should apply. 

So no new TSB. Those essentially meant the 2018-2019 would get a replacement pan with a press in gasket, while the 2015-2017 still get the old type pan with RTV silicone sealant.

1 minute ago, omar302 said:

So no new TSB. Those essentially meant the 2018-2019 would get a replacement pan with a press in gasket, while the 2015-2017 still get the old type pan with RTV silicone sealant.

Yeah unfortunately. There may be design changes that don't allow the use of the 2020 pan on the pre-18 models. 

The leaking oil pan has nothing to do with your transmission woes.  It's a known issue on the 2.7.  My 2015 F-150 oil pan leaked and was fixed correctly on the 1st dealer visit and has never leaked since.  The fix is totally dependent on the tech getting the mating surfaces 100% clean and oil free before resealing.  I've read of other F-150 owners who've had the repair done unsuccessfully multiple times.  The press in gasket on the later 2.7's eliminates the assembly line/service bay variability.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 7:45 PM, Toledosfinest said:

My 2019 Edge ST with 17,000 miles had its 1st major issue. Quick history:. Year ago the clunking from park to drive. Transmission software upgraded.

Six months ago the shifting from first to second gear. Another software upgrade. With all the shaking and clunking in this transmission for the past 1.5 years, the leaks have started. My oil pan has developed a leak. Local Ford dealer advised that the plastic oil pan has a crack. Next I was advised that the rear main seal that is between the engine/transmission is now leaking. I'm guessing all the transmission problems in the past have caused the leaking. Our local Ford dealer advised they will have to drop the transmission to get to the seal. As my car sits for weeks before they can get to it to fix, our dealer did make arrangements for me to have a car rental. For all of you out there that had the transmission problems I have had, keep an eye out for any leaking. It's going to happen. Hopefully when it happens, your Edge is still under warrantee, like mine is. I really miss my ST already.

Update: Just picked up my Edge ST today after almost 3 weeks there. Yes, they replaced the oil pan and gasket, yes they replaced the rear main seal, and then they found an oil leak on the hose line going to one of the turbos. That line is on back order. Apparently that line ruptures a lot. They "Sealed" it for now. I guess we will see if everything works now. They did pay for an Enterprise car rental which I was happy with.