Ford Edge 2.7 ecoboost oil pan leak

Toby Moore

Has anyone had issues with there oil pan leaking and have you taken it to dealer to have it fixed?  We’ve taken ours to our local Ford dealer 3 times to have the seal

redone only to have it still leak.  I’m starting to reach my limit on this issue.  Any thoughts or experiences with the same issue? Thanks

On 5/31/2020 at 7:47 PM, akirby said:

Some dealers aren’t following the repair procedure.  Try a different dealer.

The oil pan is plastic and it mounts to aluminum. Because of the different expansion rates of the two materials, a leak can appear. It is critical that the dealer follows the manufactures instructions to the letter in order to do a proper repair. If they rush the job or cut any corners the new pan will leak. Beware of dealers coating the entire oil pan with great gobs of RTV,  that is not a manufacturer-approved repair and is a temporary fix at best. Here is a link to a Ford notice on the subject. It is super important to give the RTV time to cure before use.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164418-0001.pdf

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

The oil pan is plastic and it mounts to aluminum. Because of the different expansion rates of the two materials, a leak can appear. It is critical that the dealer follows the manufactures instructions to the letter in order to do a proper repair. If they rush the job or cut any corners the new pan will leak. Beware of dealers coating the entire oil pan with great gobs of RTV,  that is not a manufacturer-approved repair and is a temporary fix at best. Here is a link to a Ford notice on the subject. It is super important to give the RTV time to cure before use.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164418-0001.pdf

There's far more of these engines on the road, and far less reports of oil pan leaks, so a clear indication that they have found a reliable solution, the one you mention above.

• Like 1

The 2.7L in the F-150 also has the same issue. Ford updated the Oil Pans to a design with a "press in place gasket", but as far as I know this only applies for 2018+ models as the Oil pans are not interchangeable with 2015-2017 models. So hope that Ford releases a similar redesigned replacement for 2015-207 models.

The newer TSBs ("NHTSA link for F-150" & "NHTSA link for the Edge") mention the replacement Oil Pans. Also for the Edge the procedure seems much simpler than before, though it still depends on the detailed procedures in the Workshop Service Manuals.

• Like 2

Unfortunately leaky oil pans are a fairly common issue on the 2.7 EB - many on the Fusion Sport forums are having the issues (as well as the F-150 owners), so it's not just an Edge Sport issue.  As akirby said, a LOT of dealer techs just don't follow the proper procedure. Some instructions state a minimum of 4-hours is needed for the RTV to cure before even putting oil back into the engine/pan. I'm sure many techs just don't pay attention and don't seal things well, too.  I also recommend you try another dealer, or ask the SA if they're actually following the procedure for this issue.  Last, I'm sure the dealer is aware by now but it still has to be said - make sure they are replacing the pan every time it comes off the engine!

Interesting to see that the newer 2.7's have a regular gasket tho.

Mine is leaking again.  I don't know the exact mileage since it was last replaced but its over 30,000 I do know that.  I think its inevitable that they leak unfortunately.  Next time the oil needs to be changed I will be taking it in for the pan replacement...again.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Smittyjf said:

Here we go! ST is at the dealer. I've read nightmares about this but now it's happened to me. We'll see if it works. Hopefully only 1 and done. Not like the several others who have had it replaced several times. 

Please consider adding your location and Model/Year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

9 hours ago, dajo2012 said:

What year is your ST you did not say. 

It really should not matter what year the OP's ST is! There are only two years to choose from. Ford has been dealing with the Edge sport oil pan debacle since 2015. 6 years later and they're still having problems.  To add insult to injury MY18+ oil pan requires a gasket. Not bashing Ford. I love my edge. Just not a Ford apologist.

• 1004ron changed the title to Ford Edge 2.7 ecoboost oil pan leak
5 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

It really should not matter what year the OP's ST is! 

If it was a 2018 or 2019 Edge built on or before 1-Aug-2019, then it has has the old sealing method & TSB 19-2837 addresses that with a new oil pan equipped with a press in place gasket.

Howerver, if it was a 2020 (or 2019 built after 01-Aug-1019), well.... (more insult?)

Link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169894-0001.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omar302 said:

If it was a 2018 or 2019 Edge built on or before 1-Aug-2019, then it has has the old sealing method & TSB 19-2837 addresses that with a new oil pan equipped with a press in place gasket.

Howerver, if it was a 2020 (or 2019 built after 01-Aug-1019), well.... (more insult?)

Link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169894-0001.pdf

I'm picking up what you're putting down. Hopefully the op chimes in and he can get some help from the forum and he can help guide his dealership in the right direction.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I joined this forum hoping to find people that have experienced this issue and can offer advice.

I purchased the vehicle used, approx 10k miles 7 or so years ago. Factory Warranty up to 60k miles.

At 35k, oil pan is leaking. The seal. Ford covers reseal under warranty. Within a short time (couple days) leaking again. Returned vehicle. Oil pan is drained, revealed, and allowed ample time dry before oil added. This works for some time.

62k miles, oil pan is leaking. I bring to Ford to diagnose and they state a new oil pan is needed along with a new seal. I decided to go to a local garage this time as it saved me $100+/hour in labor. This task is 5+ hours. Oil pan is replaced. All good for 6 months. Oil pan is leaking. Return to local garage. Within 2 months, its leaking.

I return to Ford (dealer where vehicle was purchased). Vehicle now has approx. 65k miles. Ford states it needs a new oil pan. Ok, sure, why not? They think I'm crazy at this point. Like I know what the heck is going on. Pay out of pocket again for an oil pan and reseal. Within 24 hours, you guessed it, leaking! Return to Ford. They reseal, this time trying to "scrub" or "lightly scrape" texture to help the silicone sealant. Give it ample time to dry. Within 3 days, leaking AGAIN. All techs are perplexed. They call in a senior tech whom has seen it before but does not have a solution. They tell me they contacted Ford Engineers in Michigan who they say are well aware of this issue and even created a part to resolve it. They say it's a Block Stiffiner; the tech explained a lot of diesel engines have this to avoid flex which may be why the oil pan seal keeps getting damaged. Sad piece, Ford will not cover, and it is a costly part and repair. My car is still in the shop. I am angrily awaiting for the estimate.

Have you heard of this?