Walmart Supertech fluids

14AWD3.5

OK at the risk of automotive fluid heresy, having watched a couple Farm Project videos, one of which was on Supertech oil vs others, the result was that it was fine to use.  Question is, what about the Walmart non-branded Mercon LV?  And strangely enough it also says Dexron usage too...  

I had drained the trans pan, appx 6 qts 2 weeks ago and used the $18 jug (1 gallon) of WM Mercon LV instead of O'Reilleys $6.85/qt Mercon LV.  Trans sounds and shifts the same after about 1,000 miles on it (course that's less than 50% mixed).  What say you all?

A - it's ruined, get ready to replace it

B - maybe not the best practice but ok

C - oil branding is all hype

Appreciate the input.  As opposed to my finicky RAM that can only digest real AT-4 fluid or suffer tranny damage, perhaps the Ford 6 speed can handle it.  Hope so.  It sure is an easy pan drain, takes maybe 20-30 minutes total including the cleanup.
Makes keeping the trans fluid fresh not so much of a chore.

• 5 months later...

Edit update. Car now has 105K and I have used the (Walmart sells it) Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic  Mercon LV equivalent (gallon gray jug) for the last 3 tranny pan changes.

The transmission shifts are smooth and everything is quiet so I guess it likes it enough.

At $17 + tax for a gallon, that's way cheaper than the auto parts stores by the quart Mercon LV (which costs around $8 a qt).

I'm using Supertech DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid for the (turkey baster) siphoning of the brake fluid reservoir about every 3 months. I don't bleed the brakes due to being just me here but I figure it recirculates as it's always a light brown coming out as opposed to clear going in. That's only like $3 a bottle (pint?) and it makes 3 siphon and fills. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do simular thing here also, with both the 2001 ExSportTrac & 2008 EdgeAWD,

handpump both Steering & Brake reservoirs down near empty & refresh with those respective new fluids,

plus handpump ~1qt of fluid out of the Tranny DipStickTube & refresh that ATF,

all along with the usual Engine Oil+Filter change,  as part of the  6mth maintenance routine.

Also have added doing the PTU GearOil drain+refresh every 6mths,

since adding Fumoto DrainValve & OilCatchCan+Fill@FireWallUnderHood for that.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
30 minutes ago, flymore said:

So what do you use? Redline, Amsoil, Motorcraft, Valvoline, Royalpurple?

For the PTU I would go for one of the top rated ones in the below list, which is for 75W90, but still a good guide for 75W140.

I've been using Royal Purple and Redline but considering a change to Amsoil, oil Mobil-1

Gear-Luble-Study-19-X3.jpg