3.5 cylinder 1 misfire again and again and UGH!!!

tclappe

I have a dilemma with my 2011 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L, 113,000 miles. About 2 weeks ago the Edge started having hesitating either going up a steep hill or under heavy acceleration loads (Over 4,000 RPM's). The checking engine light will start to flash and the engine will run rough, but when the light stop flashing the engine ran smooth again. When checking for the engine codes, I retrieved 2 check engine light codes P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1) and P0301 (Cylinder 1 misfire). Now originally about a year ago  I did a spark plug change at 100,000 miles, I know I should have change the coils but they were out of my budget at the time and the engine was running great.  Then a week ago I decided to replaced all the spark plugs with new Motorcrafts, replaced all the ignition coils, replaced the Catalyst sensor and checked for vacuum leaks. After completing this I had the engine codes erased. The Edge started up great and sounded great. But when I drove it under a load, the check engine light started to flash. The engine code was again P0301. I took the intake off again. Removed all the coils and plugs. I did a compression check and all the cylinders were all good. I checked the fuel injectors and they all were clicking. I decided to replace cylinder 1 fuel injector. After putting everything back together, check all the electrical wiring and I switch the coil/spark plug to cylinder number 4 (just to see if the problem changes code) I cleared the codes and test drove under heavy load and again the check engine light flashes. Ran the codes and it was again P0301. So I called an old friend of mine who is a Ford Master Senior Technician. I explained everything I did. He said 99% of the time it is usually the coil or plug. Then the fuel injector. He said the Ford do have issues with the PCM and I may need to have another one put in and reprogrammed to this vehicle Vin codes. So I ordered a refurbished PCM from Flagship one. I installed the PCM and had the PCM reprogrammed with an updated Ford program. After that was complete, the vehicle ran great. I drove it and even under heavy load, no flashing engine light. I was happy but then after 15 minutes of driving and return home up a hill the check engine light started flashing. I ran the code and again P0301. I am out of ideas. Same symptom's as before, go up a hill or under heavy load, flashing check engine light and engine runs rough, engine light stops flashing, engine runs smooth. I thought maybe the fuel pump pressure could be low but I would think it would cause other misfire codes. Any ideas? Otherwise I am going to have to take it to the dealership. 

• Sad 1

If you do end up taking it to the dealership, don't take it to the one where that Ford Master Senior Technician works.

There was more diagnostics needed before his recommendation to replace ECU / PCM.

I would do a compression and leak-down test to confirm that everything mechanical is good on the cylinder that has the misfire.

• Like 1

I have done a compression test and all the cylinders were good. I haven't done a leak down test. I have used Liqui Moly Jectron fuel system cleaner. But did replace the #1 injector. I checked codes again and p0420 is back again. I read that the catalytic converter could be getting plugged and that can cause a misfire under load. So I am thinking about removing the converter and looking at it. If its showing plugged then I will have to let it soak overnight with a cleaner or dawn dish soap. If the honeycomb is broken then replacement is needed. Only fun part is soaking the exhaust nuts for a while so I don't break the bolts. 

17 minutes ago, tclappe said:

I have done a compression test and all the cylinders were good. I haven't done a leak down test. I have used Liqui Moly Jectron fuel system cleaner. But did replace the #1 injector. I checked codes again and p0420 is back again. I read that the catalytic converter could be getting plugged and that can cause a misfire under load. So I am thinking about removing the converter and looking at it. If its showing plugged then I will have to let it soak overnight with a cleaner or dawn dish soap. If the honeycomb is broken then replacement is needed. Only fun part is soaking the exhaust nuts for a while so I don't break the bolts. 

Where did you read that?

Don't you think that a blocked exhaust would effect all cylinders?

7 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Where did you read that?

Don't you think that a blocked exhaust would effect all cylinders?

Some systems will blame cylinder 1 be default when a random miss fire is detected.

The cat is likely toast, considering O2 sensors are already replaced, and I would have replaced the cat already since I've seen a lot of miss fire codes and have rarely seen a cat code show at the same time.

I would run a pro level fuel system cleaner like BG 44K through the system.

Equally important is cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body.

Did you clear codes after the injector/coil/plug work, and have them come back afterwards?

I have yet to hear of a PCM issue with 2011+ MY vehicles  related to misfires.  It has been plugs or injectors, never coils unless a substantial amount of mileage has been accumulated.  Granted yours is only 10K miles annually but it is not just sitting around.

Ford moved the coil driver wiring around in 2011+ MYs compared to 2007-2010, where they were all bunched together.

You may actually have a bad wire between the coil and PCM.  Very rare, but it happens.  A replacement PCM would not resolve this issue ...  Test the resistance values.

BTW you can pick up coils relatively cheap as the 2011+ use the same coils as 2007-2010.  Ford makes a kit due to Gen 1 issues, and the coils can be used for 2011+.  plugs and gaskets are different.

P/N BA5Z-12259-A search at any online Ford dealer website, it is not openly listed.  If asked for your MY of vehicle, specify 2007 or 2008 to avoid being hassled.

OR order from swagperformance on ebay.  shipping times are currently quite faster than dealers, who may take 3 weeks or more.

EDIT:  PCMs can be repaired by a service such as circuitboardmedics.com

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 3

The advice about a bad wire between the coil and PCM came to mind also.  A fault that the PCM can't identify often confuses mechanics. Accurate trouble shooting often requires thinking outside of the proverbial box.   I will be interested in hearing your eventual resolution, as i have a similar situation in a Toyota Sequoia.

• 3 months later...

I replaced the catalytic converter and the P0420 code is gone. The misfire is still present. I took it to a 2 Ford Dealers and they are confused. They did compression checks, leak down checks, check the wiring, fuel injectors flow tests, moved the spark plugs and ignition coils around.  Drove it 40 miles. They just dont know. The tech decided to replace all 4 camshaft sensors because another tech had the same type of issues and the cam sensor fix his problem. They even think it could be the crankshaft sensor but are not sure. Just seem they want to keep throwing parts on it hoping to fix it.  So 4 new cam sensors and misfire code is still there. They pretty much told me to trade it in and get a new vehicle and $600 bill. I then took it to another dealer and they said they would of done the same thing and are not sure where to start because all the tests that were done by the 1st dealer is the same tests they would do. So no help there. So confused what to do now.

Edited by tclappe

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, KYHunter said:

Any resolution on this issue?

Unfortunately I hit a deer on the highway. Totaled the Edge. Insurance gave me more money than I bought it for, but broke even from the dealership bills. They towed it to Copart auction yard. So its either sitting in a salvage yard somewhere or was sold to a body shop. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...