Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

Fabrication of the hinge clip and installing it completes the V3 Adaptor. Working with Aluminum is is way different than ABS. Everything on the V3 CAI is rust proof ,it's built from Stainless Steel, Aluminum and ABS. Now that the Adaptor is complete it is time to work on the Lids and finish up the Aux Air Intake and Sensor port. 

IMG_1764.thumb.JPG.760f201e5311aa952b4d5b7e9a1982bf.JPG

This video shows the completion of the Adaptor. These little hinges take a lot of hand shaping, filling, polishing and time to get correct. The results are worth it :)

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

This video is a bit out of order as this work was done before the Adaptor was finished. Once the saw was setup all the aluminum parts were cut on the same day.

Cutting the Aux Air Intake blanks to length from a tube of 6061 aluminum.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Was able to get a couple V3 shipped today. The rest will go out later this week. 
Will be contacting the members receiving these later tonight or tomorrow with tracking and expected delivery date. 

6D4D52FA-632C-4036-969A-216DF95DDC75.jpeg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have been busy the last few weeks with charity work and now that the 4th is over , I am back to work on the V3 as promised. I ran into a glitch when cutting the Reducer Elbows. I was  shipped the wrong size 45* elbow and I did not realize it until I had made the first cut. Now I will have to reorder a new 45* elbow before I can proceed. 

The competed 30* elbow ready to weld.

IMG_1994.thumb.JPG.87c36e09c5d5f6c8f5040e9033c01cba.JPG

I have made the adaptor rings for both Elbows and after I cut the 45* elbow I did a test fit..And this is what I saw. 

IMG_1996.thumb.JPG.41fbd3fa78f27256e00f2371cdebfded.JPG

Not good, I did not need this setback as I already had to stop work for a few weeks. I thought that I would do the fab today and the welding and polishing tomorrow. Ship by Friday . Now after posting this I will reorder up the new Elbow, and finish after they arrive.  

IMG_1997.thumb.JPG.4272e1460db980845249f71a377ed4f7.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going out of business sale. There is one remaining V3 in stock ready to go. 

This is the last one that I will ever build. Everything is polished  even the rivets and clamps. PM me for more info. 
@ Below cost to make 

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 2

I have followed the Xtra V3 build since it's inception and it is with profound sadness to hear that he'll be no longer building the air-box.

I purchased my V3 last year and I continue to be impressed every time I open the hood. Dealer tech's eye's are immediately drawn to this "masterpiece".

I hope all is well and I would like to say thank you for your time, patience and fortitude for building a product that no-one else would.

Happy motoring!

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It really is sad but understandable. Just going by pics and comparing it to what else is available on the market, I'm positive there is nothing that matches the passion and quality that is put into this. The amount of, well everything, put into this is truly amazing and very much appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank all of you for your support and positive feedback. I hope that everyone enjoyed watching the development and implication of the V3 CAI. I decided to stop making them because of the high cost to make them. I have kept my price the same for years now. The pre-covid price is the same as now., but as everyone knows the price of everything has increased a lot in the last few years. I buy in bulk to save, and with this last batch I had to restock on a lot of the items. I posted a photo of a large pile of boxes that contained the parts needed to restock. As I have said in the past this is a hobby for me, and I am happy as long as it does not cost me anything to make them ....break even. But on this last run I lost money and it has become necessary to increase the price just to break even. As many now find the price of a V3 to be excessive, the cost of the V3 is just under $400, and I would have to increase the price to keep going , I have decoded to just stop and call it quits. When you add in the high cost of shipping and PayPals fees. It is just too much for me to ask for any price increase.. While aFee has improved their intake, the V3 with Aux Air is still the king and nothing out there outflows it. Sometimes it is best to stop when still on top.  

I have two remaining Carbon Fiber V2 Ram Air Intakes available at a discount. I will stop making the CF V2 for the same reason, the price of materials has increased too much to continue with them . I might continue with the ABS V2 as I can still maintain a good low price on them and keep them affordable. It depends upon the demand if I do another run of V2 or not.

Thanks again,

Xtra. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 3:00 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

are we seeing the end of an era? i sure hope not! but you know you have a sizeable fan following, so keep creating!

Thanks so much for your support over the years. Though I have ideas of what I would like to do next. I doubt that it will happen.