Any one useinga K&N air filter

I am looking for feedback if anyone is running a K&N . If so any problems ? Maintiang Idel ,etc ? Impact on milage ? Even better can you feel it in your acceration ?

I am asking as I have had problems running K&N's in somer late model engins. It can screw up the mas aire flow sensore etc .

"I am asking as I have had problems running K&N's in somer late model engins. It can screw up the mas aire flow sensore etc" .

It can/will also screw up the engine. The efficiency is not good and allows a lot of schmutz into the engine.

Unless you religiously maintain an oiled foam element, you might as well run no element at all.

"I am asking as I have had problems running K&N's in somer late model engins. It can screw up the mas aire flow sensore etc" .

It can/will also screw up the engine. The efficiency is not good and allows a lot of schmutz into the engine.

Unless you religiously maintain an oiled foam element, you might as well run no element at all.

:beerchug:

I've read that it's more of a Fanatically religious maintenance that causes the MAS problems.

Regular maintenance = a ok (not great) filter

Over maintenance, too much oil on the filter = oil on the MAS = PROBLEMS

I've used them on a few cars and have not had any problems but only ok (not great) performance results, verified with a Passport GTimer.

I quite using them when I read that when first installed they don't filter all that good but filter better the longer they are on but you start losing the performance gains.

ab

I use a drop in on our MKX. Performance wise I'm not sure if I could tell a difference. Mileage wise I believe it helps based on just looking at the mileage WAG'd by the computer. Where I think it really help is $$$. You don't have to spend money on new paper filters every 5k miles so that makes it worth it right there.

If you drive in an urban area you don't have to worry about getting any unwanted particles in your engine. We run ours on dirt roads all the time and have had no problems in 25k miles.

I use a drop in on our MKX. Performance wise I'm not sure if I could tell a difference. Mileage wise I believe it helps based on just looking at the mileage WAG'd by the computer. Where I think it really help is $$$. You don't have to spend money on new paper filters every 5k miles so that makes it worth it right there.

If you drive in an urban area you don't have to worry about getting any unwanted particles in your engine. We run ours on dirt roads all the time and have had no problems in 25k miles.

I always had great luck with the "TRUE-FLOW" air filters. They are a foam filter.

http://www.trueflow.com/

Watch the test video

Edited by Boogie

I also have used the K&N in my vehicles and have never had a problem. Just put one in my 08 Edge about a month ago.

I know I've heard the mileage computer on the Edge is not that accurate but since I'm to lazy to figure it out myself that

is what I use. Checked it yesterday and it said I was getting 21.3 MPG, and that's mostly city driving, I'm older so I don't

have a heavy foot like some. Seems pretty good to me. I was getting a little less than that before installing the K&N

so whether it helps or not I'm not sure. Engine seems to run pretty much the same as before.

I only have 4550 miles on the vehicle so it's not really broken in yet.

My trucks have always had an intake kit installed as well as a Stang. You can also purchase these from a dealer ( ford racing, Dodge SRT etc.. ) for some models. Just do not over oil them, if you do, buy a can of MAF cleaner and spray the MAF off, then replace the filter. Been running the k&n drop in for 8k miles now with the snorkel tube thing removed off bottom of air box as well as a 93 octane performance tune. The little Edge kicks a$$ ! Now where is this intake kit we have been hearing about !!!!

Edited by kdd01

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

just put mine in today and took off the side cone resonator thingie....

i haven't disconnected the battery or removed the main fuse yet... i'm waiting to install a ground on the TB first...

so far it sucks... i've been mostly HWY miles on CC @ 55mph for best mileage (the computer says 27.5, mostly mild hills and flat areas)... put it in today and it really takes long to respond... i think if i can reset the learning program... it'll be good.. well.. in my experience anyway.

it growls tho !... just that the auto tranny suxx.

I got an amsoil nano air filter. Its supposed to have a higher flow that stock and capture particles that K&N doesnt. Ive always used K&N filters with no problems but I usually get rid of my vehicle in a couple years.

I have an AMSOIL EaA 221 drop for my 2009. Its a 100K filter. Just use a shop vacuum and gently blow it from the clean side every 5-10K or so and you are good to go. IMHO an oiled filter is just too much hassle.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got my K&N drop-in filter. My Edge seems to be shifting a little weird, but I only got 150 miles on it since the switch. Question, will the car adjust the transmission shift points automatically or do I have to force it to recalculate?

The calculated gas mileage appears to have gone up about 1.5 mpg since the new filter was installed.

the engine should always make its own adjustments this minor... unless you went to something more radical like a CAI. then, to really benefit from the device, you would need to use a "tuner" to "tune" the engine for the massive amount of extra air.

the engine should always make its own adjustments this minor... unless you went to something more radical like a CAI. then, to really benefit from the device, you would need to use a "tuner" to "tune" the engine for the massive amount of extra air.

Yup...I'm using a K&N... After I installed it, I did not disconnect, then reconnect my battery; I just left it connected. What did I notice...perhaps more throttle response, but not certain what else.

I've used K&N filters for years...never had any issues what-so-ever. (Had a 1990 Bronco w/ a K&N air filter...put 340,000 miles on it before I got rid of it...no engine problems; engine never used any oil per the dipstick).

As others have mentioned, I have heard of problems which can happen if the filter element is 'over-oiled'. I never 'over-oiled' mine...no problems.

As for my (or I should say my wife's) milage, I don't know if it helped; I put it in when I got the car, so I don't know what the milage would have been w/ the paper filter. The Edge is an '09, AWD, and is getting a combined 21.0 mpg (w/ the K&N).

Good luck,

H

Hi there folks, hope you are all having a nice day. I usually don't do much posting, and I do a lot of reading, seems to be better for me. Anyways here goes, I have a 08 EDGE and I am very happy with it. I"v done the KN filter and taken out the cone on the side of the air box and disconnected the battery overnight for the relearn and then connected it back up the next morning and went driving for the day and all went well. I live in Canada so my information center reads up in kilometers instead of miles. It sounds like I have better performance(lol) but I will leave that along. I did get better gas mileage with it reading 11.5 litters to 100 kilometers the night I did the change to 10.5 litters after I got done driving for about 4 houris the next day. I"m pleased with that, but I'm trying to understand this part of one of the posts that its4myhonee wrote (I have not removed the main fuse yet... i'm waiting to install a ground on the TB first...) could someone please explain this to me I hate to be slow but it would sure be appreciated. I"m not sure what TB means either I"m just guessing here Throttle body? Anyhow thanks in advance fore the help.

How did you get the snorkel off the side of the air box ? I tried twisting that beeotch so hard, I think I popped a blood vessel in my forehead. Thanks.

I just used force and it popped out. BUT, I think I am going to put it back on as it makes the car "feel" and "sound" like it is struggling for power from inside the cabin - not sure the outside sound, but even so, it is kind of disconcerting sensation to me. if you gas it to pass or climb mountains, it feels and sounds as though the engine is working harder.

I just pride on it with a screwdriver and it came right out . It is almost the same size as the hole just a little bet bigger. I shoved a end piece that goes to 3in"duck work in the hole and it sticks out of the other side of the hole toward the fender about 4in". Thats enough to but a flexible tub on and run it to the bottom of the front end for cold air.

• 1 month later...
I just used force and it popped out. BUT, I think I am going to put it back on as it makes the car "feel" and "sound" like it is struggling for power from inside the cabin - not sure the outside sound, but even so, it is kind of disconcerting sensation to me. if you gas it to pass or climb mountains, it feels and sounds as though the engine is working harder.

Not sure if you can do this on the Edge grill but on an MKX, the "snorkle" draws air right up a path behind the grill but is open facing the grill. I simply marked out where it was on back and drilled out the solid plate in between the waffle grill openings, thus a boost of cold air going in, kind of a ghetto ram air system, along with the K&N. You cannot even see the holes unless you go down to eye level with them.

Computer MPG went up a few 10'ths than before..