2020 Edge ST bee-buzzing noise around 2k RPM under acceleration

ZcO123

2020 Ford Edge ST with around 8k miles on it. Developed a bee-buzzing noise at around 5k miles that occurs around 2k RPM under acceleration. Lasts for about a second, but you can hold the noise if you keep steady at the RPM the noise occurs prior to gear shifts. Dealerships can’t figure it out and won’t do anything. Have had the car in several times with nothing being done/replaced to resolve the issue. Any ideas, friends? 

Short video clip of the noise:

https://streamable.com/gw7dhv

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda wonder if the tranny is involved. 

The 2020 Edge has a powertrain recall, (NHTSA Campaign Number 20V550000) which talks about certain vehicles that are missing bolts from the start/stop accumulator endcap.

These also one for the RDU. (NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V011000).

(Currently there are three recalls on the 2020 Edge). Check the NHTSA site, enter your VIN to see if any of these affect your car.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/FORD/EDGE/SUV/AWD

Could also be something as simple as a part of the underfloor shield or exhaust system vibrating. (Loose, touching). 

• 11 months later...

I could be wrong, but I thought the ANC worked on the low frequency engine sounds. If you can turn it off via forescan will prove it, one way or the other. 

Do you hear the sound with the radio off? 

Does the sound get louder when listening under the hood?

Do you hear the sound only when driving, or does it also exist standing still?

35 minutes ago, JenniferT651 said:

I hear it with the radio on and off while idling or traveling at lower speeds. As I accelerate, the vibratory sound seems to get higher frequency/faster. It stops when the car cuts off at red lights. I can hear it better when I open my door or hood.

Yeah that sounds like an actual physical source. Mine only occurs during acceleration, like throttle feedback through the sound system. Its only heard in the cabin 

19 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I have a high pitched noise. I believe it is the active noise cancellation. Some stray off frequency tone its generating when attempting to cancel engine noise. I plan to deactivate via forscan to test my theory. 

When a door ajar the active noise cancelation (ANC) is disabled. So you can test it quickly by just opening a door slightly, for the door ajar warning to come on, and if the noise is from ANC it should disappear/change immediately.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, omar302 said:

When a door ajar the active noise cancelation (ANC) is disabled. So you can test it quickly by just opening a door slightly, for the door ajar warning to come on, and if the noise is from ANC it should disappear/change immediately.

I never heard this. Brilliant! Easy test.

And for those who hate the ANC, just driving around with a door ajar will kill it. ?

Wonder if a faulty door latch (where the interior lights stay on) would also kill the ANC?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 9:21 AM, JenniferT651 said:

Did you ever find out what this was? My 2020 edge SEL is doing the same thing. 

I’ve had the 2020 Edge ST up at the dealership several more times since this post, and they still can’t figure it out.

They are going to contact a Ford engineer and have him come out to the dealership to drive it and hopefully come up with something.

I will definitely provide an update if this gets resolved. However, I am selfishly hoping more people have this issue/have a solution so this can get fixed faster. It is an all-day ordeal going to the dealership every couple weeks, and depressingly not having a fix yet.

Yes! So I took the car to the dealership twice and they finally told me that it is normal for this car. It’s the high pressure fuel pump operating normally. Because there is no engine cover in this model (great engineering, Ford?) the sound is not dampened and we can hear it. It sooooo annoying and I have to blast the stereo to drown it out. If I had noticed when I test drive it I would not have purchased- talk about rose colored glasses! Plus it was raining, so I had that competing sound plus the sound of the wipers. There is a service alert/announcement/bulletin about it- I don’t have the paperwork on me or else I’d give the specific number. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 6:20 PM, JenniferT651 said:

Yes! So I took the car to the dealership twice and they finally told me that it is normal for this car. It’s the high pressure fuel pump operating normally. Because there is no engine cover in this model (great engineering, Ford?) the sound is not dampened and we can hear it. It sooooo annoying and I have to blast the stereo to drown it out. If I had noticed when I test drive it I would not have purchased- talk about rose colored glasses! Plus it was raining, so I had that competing sound plus the sound of the wipers. There is a service alert/announcement/bulletin about it- I don’t have the paperwork on me or else I’d give the specific number. 

Just to clarify one more time, is the noise your Edge experiences similar to mine: https://streamable.com/gw7dhv (the vibrating-hum noise after the turn signal-click)?

Again, this happens on mine just before OR just after it shifts gear around 2-2.2k RPM. You can get the noise to stick if you can keep that specific RPM steady. It can be very quiet, but most other times it is so loud that it can easily be heard over music/talking/etc. 

Anyways, I had the Edge at the dealership again yesterday and today (with the Ford engineer to help troubleshoot this) and they are pinning the noise to the transmission. They are now doing the paperwork to have Ford cover a full transmission replacement to see if this is going to be the fix for this noise-issue I've been dealing with for years now.

I've seen several people complain about there being no engine cover to dampen the sound, but I can FEEL this noise-vibration with my feet (in the driver, passenger, rear, etc.) and on the gas pedal when the noise occurs. It almost feels like a drone that some cars get with more "beefy" exhaust systems. So I just wanted to make sure again that we are possibly diagnosing the same issue here. 

Also, I would love to have that bulletin number if you find it.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give an update on the issue here in case anyone searches for this problem in the future:

They pinpointed the noise and issue to be coming from the transmission. My dealership replaced the entire transmission and I haven't heard the noise for ~3 weeks of driving now. Ford seems to be pushing for the entire transmission to be replaced instead of ripping it apart and trying to find the exact problem. So I can't say exactly what went wrong with the transmission, but it saved a lot of time/labor replacing the whole thing. Several years with this noise-issue, that no one could figure out coming from this 2020 model, has finally come to an end... and hopefully stays that way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 2:12 AM, enigma-2 said:

Kinda wonder if the tranny is involved. 

The 2020 Edge has a powertrain recall, (NHTSA Campaign Number 20V550000) which talks about certain vehicles that are missing bolts from the start/stop accumulator endcap.

These also one for the RDU. (NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V011000).

(Currently there are three recalls on the 2020 Edge). Check the NHTSA site, enter your VIN to see if any of these affect your car.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/FORD/EDGE/SUV/AWD

Could also be something as simple as a part of the underfloor shield or exhaust system vibrating. (Loose, touching). 

You were right! Thank you! After years of trying to figure out this, they finally had an engineer come to pinpoint it to the transmission and had the entire transmission replaced to resolve the issue. Appreciate the help!

Edited by ZcO123

On 8/21/2023 at 10:35 AM, ZcO123 said:

Just wanted to give an update on the issue here in case anyone searches for this problem in the future:

They pinpointed the noise and issue to be coming from the transmission. My dealership replaced the entire transmission and I haven't heard the noise for ~3 weeks of driving now. Ford seems to be pushing for the entire transmission to be replaced instead of ripping it apart and trying to find the exact problem. So I can't say exactly what went wrong with the transmission, but it saved a lot of time/labor replacing the whole thing. Several years with this noise-issue, that no one could figure out coming from this 2020 model, has finally come to an end... and hopefully stays that way!

Did they charge you? Or was it a recall issue? 

21 minutes ago, JenniferT651 said:

Did they charge you? Or was it a recall issue? 

Everything was covered under either Ford’s new vehicle/powertrain warranty. 

My car wasn’t under any recall for this. Hopefully if more people continue to bring this up when they have the issue, it will become a recall/bulletin.

This was a new car lease that I ended up buying out (due to COVID availability and since I love this car and thought this issue would eventually be resolved). Again, this was an issue that started at only ~5K miles. It just took forever (multiple years and countless visits) for my… lovely… local dealership to eventually have a Ford engineer come listen to it and point to the transmission to be replaced. 

• 5 months later...

Hello Members,

My 2019 ST started making this noise this week. I have 71,146 miles on it and the transmission oil has been changed every 20,000 miles. I have the same exact sound that happens as the engine rpm gets up to about 2,000 rpm and it goes away as soon as the transmission shifts. I have noticed that the noise goes away as the transmission gets to operating temp. It's much more pronounced when it is cold. I wonder what my dealer is going to do for me. I have the Ford 100,000 mile Premium Care warranty.

Edited by MENINBLK

Perhaps take your ST to the dealership the evening before its Service appointment, so the technician can test drive it from a cold start when the transmission noise is most evident.

Since your ST is beyond its 5 -year/60,000 mile Powertrain warranty, likely the only thing you'll pay is your Ford ESP PremiumCARE deductible -- if your contract includes one.

On a tangent -- That Marauder must look really good on the streets of Yonkers.

Good luck!

On 2/23/2024 at 10:13 AM, MENINBLK said:

Hello Members,

My 2019 ST started making this noise this week. I have 71,146 miles on it and the transmission oil has been changed every 20,000 miles. I have the same exact sound that happens as the engine rpm gets up to about 2,000 rpm and it goes away as soon as the transmission shifts. I have noticed that the noise goes away as the transmission gets to operating temp. It's much more pronounced when it is cold. I wonder what my dealer is going to do for me. I have the Ford 100,000 mile Premium Care warranty.

Think I read where it was related to something in the planetary gear assembly. Bearing or something. If so, could be a good reason why they replace the xmission rather than tear it down. 

Let us know what they find.