Battery Replacement stopped center console buttons from working

I changed my battery today on my 2017 SEL. In doing so everything started up just fine except all of the buttons on the center console. No temperature controls, no radio buttons, no lights for airbags. The hazard button still works. The volume controls from the steering wheel still work. The radio still functions and the Radio display still works.

What could I possibly have done to stop all of these buttons from working? I have tried pulling fuses (as per searching on this website has suggested) to no avail.

Below is a PDF download link to a section of the 2017 Edge Workshop Manual describing Battery Monitoring System operation, which includes this passage...

Battery Replacement

If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the BMS Reset using a diagnostic scan tool. If the battery monitoring system reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions.

If you don't have a diagnostic scan tool, you may be able to find a national auto parts store willing to scan your Edge's programmable modules for any existing Digital Trouble Codes, which could reveal other contributing factors.

Good luck!

Charging System - 2.0L EcoBoost - Sys Op and Component Description - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Multifunction Electronic Modules Diagnostic and Testing - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rabbitslayer said:

Well I took it to the store and did the reset but, code more error codes like the attached screenshot

PXL_20220406_205451352.MP.jpg

The error code that you have their in your pic speaks to the exact problem that your facing!  THE FCIM is the interface with the buttons that do not work for you.  Have you tried disconnecting the negative cable for 10-20 min to see if that will reset the modules? Some have even left it disconnected over night!   If you search the forums you will see that some people have had success disconnecting the negative cable.

Good Luck!

That's bizarre! Sorry to hear that you're still dealing with this!  Usually removing the negative cable does the trick! Personally, I would get the code reader because, I like to have an idea of what of I'm potentially dealing with when going to any mechanic. There are lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum. Perhaps they can shed some light!  @WWWPerfA_ZN0W @1004ron @enigma-2 @jmr061 @omar302 @macbwt

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

Rabbitslayer  reading the codes is the best first step in diagnostics, but learn from my lesson when buying an OBD2 device.

I suspected that I had a stored evap code, but it didn't show up with the cheap OBD2 device I had, then I bought the OBDLink MX+ and it downloads Ford specific data, and it found that I did have a pending evap code.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Recommended adapter for FORScan, Torque, BimmerCode, Dashcommand, AlfaOBD, Carista and many more
  • Enhanced OEM support for Ford, GM, Mazda, Nissan/Infinity, Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Honda, Hyundai, Kia

More Data

OBDLink MX+ supports GM-LAN and Ford-MSC proprietary vehicle networks that provide access to thousands of additional parameters that are off-limits to all other wireless OBD scanners, including BlueDriver and FIXD.

You could also get it read free of charge at a place like Autozone, although I have read reports that their readers don't always find existing codes.

I see a few folks recommended that you reset the BMS, but you never responded to them.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

I did do the BMS reset (flash headlights 5x, then pump brake 3x and battery would flash). That didn't do anything either. I found that I did have to do this procedure again when I reattached the negative terminal this morning.

I am going to borrow another (a generic one I tried today didn't work) from a friend next week. I think this one will work with Forscan?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Edited by Rabbitslayer

I understand the hesitancy in regards to not wanting to spend monies for something that may or may not used more than once. I also understand that we have to work with the budget that we have available to us.

Point your browser in this direction....

OBDLink-EX-FORScan Adapter

This adapter was exclusively designed by the FORScan team.  The main difference between the adapter and the one that 1004Ron mentioned is that this adapter is limited to FORScan use only. Although it is fully compatible and compliant with all OBDII specifications and fully bilateral. You may or may not have to pay for 3rd party apps to diagnose other vehicles. 

Unfortunately you do not get access to the full diagnostic suite that comes with the OBDLink MX.

Two possible causes come to mind, 

1. when replacing the battery you moved a  harness and either shorted to conndctor opened one or more pins, breaking the connection to the front controls interface module. Try retracing your steps and wiggle the harnesses you may have moved during the battery change. 

Or 2, you sparked the battery when reconnecting and sent a voltage spike into the system. I know that CAN networks are supposed to be resistant to spikes, but these are still voltage senstitive components.

If you take to the dealer for troubleshooting,  believe it has a one hour labor cost. Don't know what the cost to replace is, but you could ask for a rebuilt or remanufactured unit to keep the costs down. (Do you have an extended warranty on the car)?

• Like 1

The above photo of the Innova 5410 scan tool shows a U0256 DTC, associated with the Powertrain Control Module's continuous memory, as being the third of three DTCs discovered by the scan tool, though it's unclear if all three DTCs involve the PCM.

If the other two Digital Trouble Codes are known, please post them, and we'll work our way through, but for now, let's examine the U0256 PCM DTC.

The following is the diagnostic routine prescribed in the 2017 Edge Workshop Manual for determining U0256 DTC cause(s) and corrective action(s), Pinpoint Test K.

The total file size of my document attachments are limited here, so I'll post any specific Workshop Manual sections the Pinpoint Test references after your results show a need for the additional information.

If you are comfortable providing me your Edge's VIN, feel free to use the Forum's private Message feature, and then any subsequent Guided Diagnostic Routines can be specific for your vehicle, based upon its Build information.

Good luck!

DTC Fault Trigger Condition-PCM

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions
U0256 Lost Communication With Front Controls Interface Module "A" The PCM sets this DTC if data messages from the Front Control Interface Module (FCIM) through the Gateway Module (GWM) are missing.

Normal Operation and Fault Conditions

REFER to: Communications Network - System Operation and Component Description (418-00 Module Communications Network, Description and Operation).

Possible Sources

• Communications network concern
  • FCIM
  • BCM (Body Control Module)
  • GWM
  • PCM
PINPOINT TEST K: U0256

K1 VERIFY THE CUSTOMER CONCERN

• Ignition ON.
  • Verify there is an observable symptom present.

Is an observable symptom present? 

Yes GO to K2 The inoperative center stack controls are your observable symptom.
No The system is operating normally at this time. The DTC may have been set due to high network traffic or an intermittent fault condition.

K2 CHECK THE COMMUNICATION NETWORK

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform a network test.

Did the FCIM pass the network test?

Yes GO to K3
No
REFER to: Communications Network (418-00 Module Communications Network, Diagnosis and Testing).

K3 PERFORM FCIM (FRONT CONTROLS INTERFACE MODULE) SELF-TEST

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform a FCIM self-test.

Are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) recorded?

Yes
REFER to: Information and Entertainment System (415-00A Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: AM/FM/CD/SYNC, Diagnosis and Testing).
OR
REFER to: Information and Entertainment System (415-00B Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: Touchscreen Display, Diagnosis and Testing).
OR
REFER to: Information and Entertainment System (415-00C Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: Sony Audio System, Diagnosis and Testing).
No GO to K4

K4 CHECK THE BCM (BODY CONTROL MODULE) DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, retrieve the BCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

Yes
REFER to: Body Control Module (BCM) (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules, Diagnosis and Testing).
No GO to K5

K5 PERFORM THE PCM (POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE) SELF-TEST

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the PCM self-test.

Is DTC P0562 or DTC P0563 recorded?

Yes REFER to PCM DTC Chart in this section.
No GO to K6

K6 RECHECK THE PCM (POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE) DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)

NOTE: If new modules were installed prior to the DTC being set, the module configuration may be incorrectly set during the PMI, or the PMI may not have been carried out.

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
  • Wait 10 seconds.
  • Repeat the PCM self-test.

Is DTC U0256 still present?

Yes GO to K7
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The DTC may have been set due to high network traffic or an intermittent fault condition.

K7 CHECK FOR DTC (DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE) U0256 SET IN OTHER MODULES

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, clear all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Wait 10 seconds.
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, retrieve all Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTCs) from all modules.

Is DTC U0256:87 set in any other module?

Yes GO to K8
No GO to K9

K8 CHECK FOR CORRECT FCIM (FRONT CONTROLS INTERFACE MODULE) OPERATION

• Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect and inspect all FCIM connectors.
  • Repair:
    • corrosion (install new connector or terminals – clean module pins)
    • damaged or bent pins – install new terminals/pins
    • pushed-out pins – install new pins as necessary
  • Reconnect all the FCIM connectors. Make sure they seat and latch correctly.
  • Operate the system and determine if the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes CHECK OASIS for any applicable Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs). If a TSB exists for this concern, DISCONTINUE this test and FOLLOW TSB instructions. If no Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) address this concern,
INTDIAG.GIF  bancircle.png VIN required to access Guided Routine (FCIM)
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by module connections. ADDRESS the root cause of any connector or pin issues.

K9 CHECK FOR CORRECT PCM (POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE) OPERATION

• Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect and inspect PCM connector.
  • Repair:
    • corrosion (install new connector or terminals – clean module pins)
    • damaged or bent pins – install new terminals/pins
    • pushed-out pins – install new pins as necessary
  • Reconnect the PCM connector. Make sure it seats and latches correctly.

Yes CHECK OASIS for any applicable Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs). If a TSB exists for this concern, DISCONTINUE this test and FOLLOW TSB instructions. If no Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) address this concern,
INTDIAG.GIF  bancircle.png VIN required to access Guided Routine (PCM)
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by module connections. ADDRESS the root cause of any connector or pin issues.

Edited by Haz
  • Like 5

I was able to connect up a BT device from a friend tonight and it was able to get more information. Here is what I have found. I did do the Battery Monitoring System Reset successfully (FORScan reported success). I have omitted the VIN below...

Thinking back to when I replaced the battery there was only once cable that was "jiggled" and I have checked that connection and don't see any issue. No other cables were in the way.

Hope this is enough information!

Interface:
Adapter: ELM327 v1.5
Min.delay: 18 ms ( Good)
Errors: None

Vehicle:
Model: Ford Edge
Engine: EcoBoost Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection
Capacity: 2.0L
Year: 2017
Generation: 2017 MY
Fuel: Gasoline
Transmission gear: Automatic
PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Part number: G2GA-12A650-BSA
Calibration level: H2GA-12A650-BTA (latest known: H2GA-12A650-BTD)
Strategy : H2GA-14C204-BTA
Hardware type: FB5A-12B684-CA
Total Distance: 49370.0 km

OBDII - On Board Diagnostic II

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: FR3T-14D212-RB
Calibration level: FR3T-14D212-RB (latest known: HM5T-14D212-AA)
Strategy : E1BT-14D205-AJ
PAM - Parking Aid Module
Part number: FU5T-15K866-BK
Calibration level: FU5T-15K866-BK (latest known: FU5T-15K866-BL)
Strategy : FU5T-14C090-BK

BdyCM - Body Control Module
Part number: HU5T-14B476-BAK
Calibration level: HU5T-14B476-BAK (latest known: HU5T-14B476-SAA)
Strategy : HU5T-14C184-AAK
BECMB - Battery Energy Control Module B
Part number: HU5T-14G490-AF
Calibration level: HU5T-14G490-AF
Strategy : HU5T-14G499-AE

Code: P193E - A/C Clutch Request Signal

Code: U0164 - Lost Communication With HVAC Control Module

Code: U0256 - Lost Communication With Front Controls Interface Module A

Code: U3006 - Control Module Input Power A Circuit / Open

Code: U3007 - Control Module Input Power B Circuit / Open

Code: U3013 - Control Module Input Power C Circuit / Open

Code: U3014 - Control Module Input Power D Circuit / Open

Additional Fault Symptom:
 - Circuit Voltage Below Threshold

Code: B1448 - Right Rear Stop/Position Lamp Output

- Circuit Short To Battery Or Open

Code: U0256 - Lost Communication With Front Controls Interface Module A

- Missing Message

Code: B1438 - Battery Current Sensor

- Frequency Modulated / Pulse Width Modulated Failures

Rabbitslayer, when you read all of those codes mentioned, were you able to clear them?     After my battery died and the dealer checked it out and said everything appeared to be okay, I ran FORscan Lite and had almost two handfuls of codes related to "..Lost communication with ..."   I was able to clear all of them, they didn't return and everything appeared to be good.  

A year later I go to the dealer to have my trans updated to the latest TSB and then I notice my interior lighting wasn't working correctly.  I ran another full scan and this time I only saw a few "...Lost communication with ....module" codes.   Again I clear everything and the interior lighting returns to normal.  It appears the interfaces between all of these modules and systems are rather wonky.  If you can, try resetting any errors that you see (after documenting them) and see what happens. 

• Like 1

The action of clearing DTCs, and running self-test routines on involved modules afterward, is repeatedly mentioned in the Pinpoint K diagnostic in my prior post, above.

It is entirely possible that your Edge's failing/failed battery condition is the root cause of the many DTCs that Forscan revealed.

Clearing the DTCs very well may restore the operation of your center-stack controls.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Body Control Module DTC U0256 Pinpoint P diagnostic routine from 2017 Edge Workshop Manual...

Good luck!

U0256:87

DTC Fault Trigger Conditions

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions
U0256:87 Lost Communication With Front Controls Interface Module "A" : Missing Message A continuous memory DTC that sets in the BCM if messages from the FCIM through the GWM are missing.

Possible Sources

• Communication network concern
  • Battery voltage concern
  • GWM concern
  • FCIM
  • BCM

PINPOINT TEST P: U0256:87

P1 VERIFY THE CUSTOMER CONCERN

• Ignition ON.
  • Verify there is an observable symptom present. Center Stack Controls Continue To Be Inoperative ?

Is an observable symptom present?

Yes GO to P2
No The system is operating normally at this time. The DTC may have been set due to high network traffic or an intermittent fault condition. CLEAR the DTC.

P2 CHECK THE COMMUNICATION NETWORK

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform a network test.

Does the FCIM pass the network test?

Yes GO to P3
No DIAGNOSE no communication with the FCIM.

REFER to: Communications Network (418-00 Module Communications Network, Diagnosis and Testing).

P3 CHECK THE BCM (BODY CONTROL MODULE) CONTINUOUS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (CMDTCS)

• Wait 10 seconds.
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, check the BCM Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTCs).

Is DTC B11D9:16, B11D9:17, U3006:16, U3006:17, U3007:16, U3007:17, U3013:16, U3013:17, U3014:16 or U3014:17 recorded?

Yes For DTC B11D9:16, U3006:16, U3007:16, U3013:16 or U3014:16, GO to Pinpoint Test J
For DTC B11D9:17, U3006:17, U3007:17, U3013:17 or U3014:17, GO to Pinpoint Test K
No GO to P4

P4 RETRIEVE THE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) FROM THE FCIM (FRONT CONTROLS INTERFACE MODULE) SELF-TEST

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the FCIM self-test.

Yes
REFER to: Information and Entertainment System (415-00A Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: AM/FM/CD/SYNC, Diagnosis and Testing).

REFER to: Information and Entertainment System (415-00B Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: Touchscreen Display, Diagnosis and Testing).

REFER to: Information and Entertainment System (415-00C Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: Sony Audio System, Diagnosis and Testing).
No GO to P5

P5 RECHECK THE BCM (BODY CONTROL MODULE) CONTINUOUS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (CMDTCS)

• Wait 10 seconds.
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, check the BCM Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTCs).

Is DTC U0256:87 still present?

Yes GO to P6
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The DTC may have been set due to high network traffic or an intermittent fault condition.

P6 CHECK FOR DTC (DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE) U0256 SET IN OTHER MODULES

• Ignition OFF.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Wait 10 seconds.
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, retrieve all Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTCs).

Is DTC U0256 set in any other module?

Yes GO to P7
No GO to P8

P7 CHECK FOR CORRECT FCIM (FRONT CONTROLS INTERFACE MODULE) OPERATION

• Disconnect and inspect the FCIM connector.
  • Repair:
    • corrosion (install new connector or terminals - clean module pins)
    • damaged or bent pins - install new terminals/pins
    • pushed-out pins - install new pins as necessary
  • Reconnect the FCIM connector. Make sure it seats and latches correctly.

Yes CHECK OASIS for any applicable service articles: TSB, GSB, SSM or FSA. If a service article exists for this concern, DISCONTINUE this test and FOLLOW the service article instructions. If no service articles address this concern,
INTDIAG.GIF  bancircle.png VIN required to access Guided Routine (FCIM)

P8 CHECK FOR CORRECT BCM (BODY CONTROL MODULE) OPERATION

• Disconnect and inspect all BCM connectors.
  • Repair:
    • corrosion (install new connector or terminals - clean module pins)
    • damaged or bent pins - install new terminals/pins
    • pushed-out pins - install new pins as necessary
  • Reconnect the BCM connectors. Make sure they seat and latch correctly.

Yes CHECK OASIS for any applicable service articles: TSB, GSB, SSM or FSA. If a service article exists for this concern, DISCONTINUE this test and FOLLOW the service article instructions. If no service articles address this concern,
INTDIAG.GIF  bancircle.png VIN required to access Guided Routine (BCM)

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1