Sluggish New to me 2013 Edge - Code P0012, P0014, P0022 and P0024

Ollie45

So i picked up this 2013 Edge last weekend, rough idle, sluggish accelerating etc.. I was told it sat for 3-4 months before i bought it. The battery was dead i was told but the guy had it on a charger and it started right up when i got there.

Took it for a ride, noticed the sluggish accelerating and rough idle when sitting at a stop sign or in the driveway, to the point where it did stall once.

Bought the car, drove it approx. 55 miles with just the issues i stated above, runs and drives great once up to speed.

Got home, checked the air filter.. OMG it was horrible, dirtiest air filter i've ever seen. Put a new one in, may have helped some but not much.

Took it to work on Monday and scanned it. 

Code P0012 was new, P0014, P0022 and P0024 also were old codes that had been erased.

I changed the oil and noticed the cap had some crud on it, so i can only assume the internals are sluggy as well.

The more i read about these codes make me believe it could be the VVT solenoids?? So i want to order new ones as well as a new valve cover gasket kit. On the gasket kits it is asking if it is with or without Variable Valve timing.

I thought this motor has two of the Solenoids so i need two of those gaskets along with the valve cover gaskets, spark plug gaskets and bolt seals. One kit has 4 seals for the VVT and the other has 2.

Can anyone help me with this and have any thoughts about the issues i'm having? 

Really hope it isn't the timing chain or guide issue.

Thank you for your help.

• Thanks 1

• 1004ron changed the title to Sluggish New to me 2013 Edge - Code P0012, P0014, P0022 and P0024

I suppose that if maintenance was lacking or an internal issue that causes a lot of metal or other contaminants, it could clog all 4 VVT solenoids at the same time. I also wonder if low pressure could cause the same thing all at the same time. Both banks jumping time is a possibility also. I would guess that removing a VVT solenoid to check it would be the easiest thing to help narrow down the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the Forum!

All Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) share the same Possible Causes, and Diagnostic steps.

From the Ford Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual - 2013 Gasoline...

image.thumb.png.123e67d3ecea0d74108a5e671940a3c9.png

image.thumb.png.04e99c7130dda35e634669f5116f3f2e.png

image.thumb.png.89156acaac4e84780057301a96133844.png

image.thumb.png.84bec848b6cfbd06779294e49225133b.png

image.png.1613612bf83f11468a02a23ee7cd65a5.png

Document download links>

Pinpoint Test HK - Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) - Powertrain Control-Emissions Diagnosis Manual - 2013 Gasoline.pdf

Variable Camshaft Timing Solenoid - Wiring Diagram - 3.5L-3.7L TIVCT - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Variable Camshaft Timing 11 (VCT11) Solenoid - Connector C1451 Details - 3.5L-3.7L TIVCT - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Variable Camshaft Timing 12 (VCT12) Solenoid - Connector C1452 Details - 3.5L-3.7L TIVCT - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Variable Camshaft Timing 21 (VCT21) Solenoid - Connector C1610 Details - 3.5L-3.7L TIVCT - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Variable Camshaft Timing 22 (VCT22) Solenoid - Connector C1611 Details - 3.5L-3.7L TIVCT - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - Connector C175E Location - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Variable Camshaft Timing 11 & 12 (VCT11-12) Solenoid - Connector C1451 & C1452 Location Illustration - 3.5L-3.7L TIVCT - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Variable Camshaft Timing 21 & 22 (VCT21-22) Solenoid - Connector C1610 & C1611 Location Illustration - 3.5L-3.7L TIVCT - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) Oil Control Solenoid - Removal and Installation - 3.5L Duratec.pdf

Valve Cover, LH - Removal and Installation - 3.5L Duratec - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual - RP.pdf

Valve Cover, RH - Removal and Installation - 3.5L Duratec - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual - RP.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm suspicious a TimingJob was done on this engine, done incorrectly.

And Internal ChainDriven WaterPump may have failed  & been replaced, original cause\need for the TimingJob..

Considering sludge under OilCap, as said, sludge likely throughout engine & VVTSolenoids; is the Sludge "MilkShake" colored?

If so then definitely had a WaterPump failure that dumped Coolant into OilPan.

Believe the 2011~2014 3.5L Engine was built with 4 VVTSolenoids (2 on each head);

the earlier 2007~2010 3.5L Engines only had 2 VVTSolenoids (1 on each head).

Link to Pic showing 2011~2014 3.5L with 4 VVTSolenoids (2 on each head).

Edited by DILLARD000

56 minutes ago, DILLARD000 said:

I'm suspicious a TimingJob was done on this engine, done incorrectly.

And Internal ChainDriven WaterPump may have failed  & been replaced, original cause\need for the TimingJob..

Considering sludge under OilCap, as said, sludge likely throughout engine & VVTSolenoids; is the Sludge "MilkShake" colored?

If so then definitely had a WaterPump failure that dumped Coolant into OilPan.

The oil was not milky at all, just very dirt Dark Brown. I did not notice sludge in the Drain Pain, just inside the fill cap. I stuck my finger inside the cover and didnt feel any others sludge.

To me it sounds like the VVT solenoids are clogged or something because of the noise from that side of the motor (if i am hearing them correctly) can hear ticking and as the RPMs rise under acceleration the tick get louder.

Thanks for the reply.

• Thanks 1

Believe the 2011~2014 3.5L engines were built with 4 VVTSolenoids (2 on each head);

the earlier 2007~2010 3.5L engines were built with 2 VVTSolenoids (1 on each head).

SeaFoam might help clean out the engine sludge?

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DILLARD000 said:

Believe the 2011~2014 3.5L engines were built with 4 VVTSolenoids (2 on each head);

the earlier 2007~2010 3.5L engines were built with 2 VVTSolenoids (1 on each head).

SeaFoam might help clean out the engine sludge?

If the code says bank 1, that means the side thats close to the firewall is how i understand it.

Can i change just the two on bank 1 or should i just do all 4 at the same time.

it is the 3.5 non turbo.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well tonight i plan on draining the oil and hope to find out how much sludge is in the motor. I bought a new open drain pain so i can filter the oil and see how much crap is at the bottom of the pan.

I'm also thinking about dumping a couple quarts of Kerosene into the motor by itself but not run the engine. I'm thinking maybe this will break up whatever is sitting at the bottom of the drain pan and oil pickup and/or filter.

Once it sits for a couple days, drain the kerosene, add new filter and oil and run it and see what happens before I tear into the motor and change the solenoids.

The motor doesn't really have any rattle yet, so hopefully the timing chain and components are still ok.

I was driving it yesterday for about 20ish miles and the low oil pressure light came on and went off a couple of times, this makes me think the sludge is at the bottom and getting into the pump and filter area.

We shall see what happens.

I doubt that kerosene would do much for the sludge build-up on the oil pump suction strainer and the screens on the VVT control valves if the engine isn't run.

Most folks are very wary of using an engine flushing product, but I think when an engine has been allowed to sludge up like this it may be the only option - if you do this plan to do a good few short interval oil & filter changes.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...