2020 Edge ST PTU fluid drain & fill

CTEdgeST

The service kit that I saw looked to be all aluminum - which should mimic the original part - and ought to provide long service life.  

I am 100% with you on a drain plug (even with the cooler) and a MUCH larger fluid capacity.  This design choice was a major screw up on the part of Ford.

For what it is worth - this design as been in service for some years in really hot climates (middle east) and seems to have held up in those environments - just an interesting aside.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:13 PM, TourGuide said:

The service kit that I saw looked to be all aluminum - which should mimic the original part - and ought to provide long service life.  

I am 100% with you on a drain plug (even with the cooler) and a MUCH larger fluid capacity.  This design choice was a major screw up on the part of Ford.

For what it is worth - this design as been in service for some years in really hot climates (middle east) and seems to have held up in those environments - just an interesting aside.

As much as I like a lot of their products, I have to agree with the design choice error statement.

On my 2016 sport, I have seen PTU temps north of 270F from a spirited (HARD) drive through a local twisty road.. and a constant climb to around 230 at highway cruise speeds.

Considering how much direct surface contact there is to the transmission, there has to be a fair amount of heat dump to the trans which does obviously have a means to dump that heat.

This makes me think that the heat soak from the rear turbo & cat are the primary sources of the heat in my case, so that is something that I plan to address/test at some point. 

PTU cooler is not an option on mine AFAIK but the loss of fluid volume to add a cooler core would make it a hard decision for me anyway, I'd probably just plan to drain & refill the PTU every 30K miles. 

Its cheap an easy enough. 

But I am not in the middle east, and our ambient temps here are not ridiculous.  

• 2 months later...

Just purchased my 2012 Edge a couple months ago & i was researching problem areas for the vehicle. When i did the drill & tap on my PTU case, not one drop of fluid came out of mine. So after talking with my brother i installed transmission fluid in mine, because it is a great detergant for breaking down grease.  Have run about 300 miles & done 2 fluid changes. Used bore scope & looks almost new inside again, compared to first time being all grease covered.  Plan on doing 1 more fluid change before winter & am sticking with transmission fluid. The transmission fluid seems to take the heat generated from exhaust better than gear oil & dosen't gum up as bad.

5 hours ago, schrack said:

Just purchased my 2012 Edge a couple months ago & i was researching problem areas for the vehicle. When i did the drill & tap on my PTU case, not one drop of fluid came out of mine. So after talking with my brother i installed transmission fluid in mine, because it is a great detergant for breaking down grease.  Have run about 300 miles & done 2 fluid changes. Used bore scope & looks almost new inside again, compared to first time being all grease covered.  Plan on doing 1 more fluid change before winter & am sticking with transmission fluid. The transmission fluid seems to take the heat generated from exhaust better than gear oil & dosen't gum up as bad.

The only real downsides to  using trans fluid are that trans fluid does not have the same film strength, sheer stability or viscosity..,

but if you're going to keep on it for maintenance, it will not be  a problem. Probably.

Just know that a leak will empty it much faster than it would with OEM fluid, and the grease that was in there (dried up gear lube) had more lubricity to it than the film left behind by transmission fluid if it leaked out.

the right side seal should be monitored closely. 

I'm curious how this will turn out. Keeps us updated?

• Like 3

Seems sketchy  to me.

Ford truck forums had discussion about this, seems xfr cases explode when Mercon V was used.

In-fact, if you look at the back of the Mercon V container, it specifically states "not for use in transfer cases". 

Guess it's ok to use to clean out case, but I wouldn't run it more than a few miles. 

There was also a discussion on BITOG 

about a mechanic using ATM in a MKX. Told client that's what they all use. Of course the guy was an idiot, PTUs that use use ATM are built differently and use a lot more fluid. Our PTUs only use a few onces and sit right next to the cat.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2011-lincoln-mkx-ptu-oil-vs-atf.318911/

I've read several guys are well satisfied with Redline Lightweight Shock Proof fluid. Couple switched because the Motorcraft turned to a grease consistency too quickly.

I just have the dealer change the fluid every couple of years. No way I'd run ATF in there however. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well I just got a 2020 Edge ST last week with 38 k on  Nov 8, 2023. With PTU info out there. Can any 75 140 synthetic gear oil work ? I have this laying around still new and bottles never opened but also saw this at Walmart …. Let’s see if I can get the pics to show 

Edited by xalexakaspyderx
Trying to add gear oil pics

6 hours ago, xalexakaspyderx said:

Well I just got a 2020 Edge ST last week with 38 k on  Nov 8, 2023. With PTU info out there. Can any 75 140 synthetic gear oil work ? I have this laying around still new and bottles never opened but also saw this at Walmart …. Let’s see if I can get the pics to show 

It calls for 75w85 premium synthetic and not 75w140.

When it comes to things such as this - I operate by the simple thought that fluid is cheaper than parts and labor - no matter what.  By that logic I try to get the best OE - or BETTER than fluid I can get as long as it meets and or exceeds spec.  I would hesitate to put anything that did not meet or exceed the OEM requirements.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 8:49 PM, TourGuide said:

When it comes to things such as this - I operate by the simple thought that fluid is cheaper than parts and labor - no matter what.  By that logic I try to get the best OE - or BETTER than fluid I can get as long as it meets and or exceeds spec.  I would hesitate to put anything that did not meet or exceed the OEM requirements.

The ford PTU fluid is actually the best you can use for Ford PTU's. Personally, I really  don't believe that any other fluid is equal (or better.)

The Ford fluid is made by US Lubricants. Pretty certain it's their "300 Waylube"; which is rebanded under the Ford label.

These are at the top of the line lubes, which is why the Ford brand is so expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, xalexakaspyderx said:

Yeah I been doing my research and reading the manual and the dealer today sold me 75w 80  NOT 75w 85 as the manual says hmmmm. Gonna go back tomorrow

not for nothing, but the difference between the two is so insignificant that I personally would not waste your time.. 

unless your PTU leaks, it won't matter. If it does leak, it will leak slightly faster since the 80 weight is slightly less viscous when at full temperature.

however, as an observation, my 2016 Sport model uses 75w-140, but the PTU is right next to the rear catalytic converter and close to the rear turbo, so the ambient heat load is pretty high in the summer.

I don't know what you're driving or whether this issue is relevant for you.