Rear brakes squeal

Guys, just replaced my rear brake pads on my 2009 Edge. Everything works fine except when I back up the left rear wheel squeals awfully. I jacked both rear wheels up and checked the parking brake. Seems to work fine, relaxed or fully engaged. However, when the parking brake is only about half engaged, I can turn the right wheel forward and backward with some drag. The left wheel can only be rotated forward with some drag but not at all backwards. Time to replace the parking brake hardware? 

• Like 1

I had the same sort of issue but with a 2004 Crown Vic.  It had the same parking brake in a hat assembly with little brake shoes as your Edge.  

It would lock up in reverse only.  Turns out one of the linings separated from the metal shoe from rust and luckily it only caught when in reverse.

Working in that confined area between the hub and backing plate was not fun.  Glad I had worked on ancient drum brakes decades ago, so i knew how they worked.

You are probably going to have to open everything up.

Guys, I've just removed the rear disc/drum to replace the parking brake shoes but I don't have the foggiest idea how. I've searched the internet but can't find a youtube which explains the details. Can't figure out how that C-shaped one-piece is attached to the back plate. Can someone point me to a video that shows that?

Thanks!

OK guys, current status: I checked the parking brake pads and the piston movements. The pads look almost like new, no difference in thickness to new ones. The pistons in the calipers move nicely, everything seems to be in ship-shape. So I closed everything again. The squeal is still there, louder than ever!

3 hours ago, edgemaster said:

OK guys, current status: I checked the parking brake pads and the piston movements. The pads look almost like new, no difference in thickness to new ones. The pistons in the calipers move nicely, everything seems to be in ship-shape. So I closed everything again. The squeal is still there, louder than ever!

Would be good to get photos of your installation.

Does yours have separate pads for the parking brake, not shoes like the above YT video ?

If its pads squealing I would put a small bevel/chamfer  on the leading and trailing edge of the pads.

• Like 1