Dead battery

jimgalli

I have 2010 Edge, four weeks old with 1000 miles on it. When I tried to start it for the last two days, the battery appeared to be "stone" dead. i.e no interior lights, no dash warning lights. It was towed to the local Ford dealer today.

The battery and charging system tested OK and there was no electrical draw found. They charged the battery and will hold it overnight and try it again in the morning. Has anyone else had this problem?

That really sucks. I am not much help but my Dad had a Aviator that did the same thing, he had to back to the shop several times, everything would test ok but if it sat more than a couple of days he would have to jump it. They never found what the cause was but he did have a remote start installed and we think it might have had something to do with that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I have 2010 Edge, four weeks old with 1000 miles on it. When I tried to start it for the last two days, the battery appeared to be "stone" dead. i.e no interior lights, no dash warning lights. It was towed to the local Ford dealer today.

The battery and charging system tested OK and there was no electrical draw found. They charged the battery and will hold it overnight and try it again in the morning. Has anyone else had this problem?

A couple of weeks ago, I had a dead battery for no apparent reason. It had enough juice for the lights (dim) but all the starter would do is click. I put a charger on it over night and have not had a problem since. I never knew what caused it.

The same thing happened to my 2010 yesterday. After a jump it immediately started. What was outcome of your service call.

Somebody correct me but don’t these thing “go to sleep” when turned off after a few minutes?

Our BMW (04) wouldn’t “go to sleep” if we left anything plugged into the power outlet = dead battery if not started in a few days.

I have a friend that worked at GM.

It was his job to change the batteries at the end of the assembly line that were bad from the manufacture.

Another friend’s brother works at a Honda dealership it’s his job to change the dead batteries when they unload them at the dealership.

One of the batteries in my 05 F250 died this year.

ab

Shot in the dark. But it almost sounds as if the battery didnt have a solid connection from the factory. If the connections isnt good then the battery wouldnt have a good chance to fully charge while the car is running. Almost like the factory didnt tighten either the positive or negitive connetion wires fully. Or it could just be a lemon from the factory. I havent had any problems yet, but this will be in my mind if I have any problems like this.

Matthew

• 2 months later...

No solution, but am having similar problem. Have had to jump start 3 times. Academy Ford dealer tested battery, alternator, nothing wrong. Thinks it may be the Panoramic roof. Called Ford, they said take it to another dealer for a second opinion. Just bought a JUMPSTARTER since Ford Road Assistance has an 8 hour delay.

Edited by bryan

No solution, but am having similar problem. Have had to jump start 3 times. Academy Ford dealer tested battery, alternator, nothing wrong. Thinks it may be the Panoramic roof. Called Ford, they said take it to another dealer for a second opinion. Just bought a JUMPSTARTER since Ford Road Assistance has an 8 hour delay.

I had that happen to my 08 AWD, (with BAMR) I hooked up the jumper cables and it started no problem.

Went straught to the dealer and they took me right in. The Edge was just about 8 months old and of

course they could find no problems. The battery, alternator etc... checked out fine.

The dealer ended up replacing the battery anyways (under warranty) with a higher AMP rated unit and

no problems since.

One thing the machanic did point out is that the battery terminals where loose and corroded more than would be expected at

only 8 months. I got the feeling he had seen this before. So now I keep an eye on the terminals and no problems.

By the way this was one great dealer, fixed my PTU leak first time, looked after any problems, questions promptly, I got my

Edge back washed and vacuumed (even if only doing an oil change), knowledgable techs. Unfortunately they shut down.

I guess either Ford downsizing (independanht dealer) or tough times. Either way I'm out a great service dealer.

Hope your dealer solves your problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Charge and load test the battery.

Check alternator output (S/B 14+ volts)

Clean all terminals - battery and grounds. (If you get 14 volts from the alternator when grounded to the engine and only 11 volts when grounded to the vehicle body, you have a bad ground connection somewhere.)

• 1 month later...

I experienced the same problem after the car sitting at the airport for four days and had to have it jumped! Car was totally dead!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I went out to my 2008 Edge Monday about 10 minutes after getting home and nothing !

I am ashamed to say that the terminals were completely covered in several inches of caked on "stuff". Its a company car so it just gets oil changes and basic maintenance and no one (including me) ever looked under the boot that covers the positive terminal. After wire brushing off the corrosion I found two things. One, I was able to remove the postive wire without using any tools. Two there is a secondary pole/nut that looks like a fastening point for additional connections attached to the main clamp that goes around the battery pole. This part seems to be designed with a fuse like connection as it was burned through and it came out of the main clamp when I cleaned it. You could see either a break due to melting or corrosion.

My neighbour had a battery pole cleaner and we gave the pole and the inside of the clamp a really good cleaning, set it back on by hand (no apparent fastening/tightening bolts/screws...) and the car fired right up with no jump.

It has worked fine for 3 days now but when I get a chance I am going to the garage and have them replace the whole cable with one that tightens to the pole.

Anyone have any idea what that fuseable connector was ? I cant see how it would have anything to do with securing the main clamp to the pole given its location, lack of tightening options and general gauge/size.

Just wondering

Edited by CorporateEdge

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced the same problem after the car sitting at the airport for four days and had to have it jumped! Car was totally dead!!!!!

I just experienced the same thing on an 08 Edge Limited with 13,500 miles. The likely culprit in my mind is the automatic headlight sensor. $89 for a replacement battery at Advanced Auto Parts. And not in the most accessible location--you have to use a flat wrench on the negative terminal instead of a ratchet and socket.

Edited by lanceandamym

I just experienced the same thing on an 08 Edge Limited with 13,500 miles. The likely culprit in my mind is the automatic headlight sensor. $89 for a replacement battery at Advanced Auto Parts. And not in the most accessible location--you have to use a flat wrench on the negative terminal instead of a ratchet and socket.

Hi lance. :D Welcome to the club, and sorry to hear about your problem. However, unless you really wanted to get an aftermarket battery, why did you pay to replace it yourself? The battery is a Warranty item and covered for 3 years/36,000 miles. And by having the Dealer check/replace the battery, they would have performed a vehicle check to be sure there were no other problems that may have lead to the dead battery (e.g. a bad "automatic headlight sensor").

Anyway, hope your problem is solved. Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 7 months later...

I had the same problem with mine 2010 SEL. My car was in the garage and just overnight battery went completely dead. I leave in So Cal, so weather is not a problem. I called Ford's road assistance, and when he hooked up power source car started right away. Battery and alternator tested ok and leads were tight. It is not battery problem ether. I think it somewhat relay or something get stuck some time to time and draining the battery when car is not driven. So far it happened once. Dealer could not find anything wrong ether.

I also had the mysterious dead battery about three weeks after I took delivery of my new car. I think it was manufactured in May, 2010..[/size

Anyway - they towed the car into the garage, did all the tests, and nothing showed up. Then I took a trip and my tailgate locked up. Then the motor in the tallgate died. Since then, my battery has worked fine.

At the time, they told me there were no service bulletins. I had taken my car through a car wash prior to the first incident. Dealership said that they had also water -tested and showed no problem.

I had the same battery issue with my Ford 500 and they finally decided it was the radio.

I had the same problem with mine 2010 SEL. My car was in the garage and just overnight battery went completely dead. I leave in So Cal, so weather is not a problem. I called Ford's road assistance, and when he hooked up power source car started right away. Battery and alternator tested ok and leads were tight. It is not battery problem ether. I think it somewhat relay or something get stuck some time to time and draining the battery when car is not driven. So far it happened once. Dealer could not find anything wrong ether.

I went through all this when I bought a new 2005 Mustang GT.

Lot's of Mustangs were shipped with bad batteries.

Replaced with another from the dealer,no more problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess I'll chime in on this one now too. Just this afternoon I went to start up my 2010 Edge AWD Limited w/ Panoramic roof and no go. Not even enough juice to use the key fob or even a dim interior light. It was like the battery had been taken out. My first thought was security feature or something because it was so odd that it would be dead. We were out shopping and such most of the day Saturday and got home around 5pm. No issues. Then today at about 3pm.. dead. So I don't know what the deal is. Nothing was plugged in, no lights left on. I've left the Garmin plugged in overnight before and on without any issue (by accident). So yeah, this one is bugging me because there is no reason this should have happened. We went on a grocery run today and shut it off and it started fine again on a couple stops. So the alternator is charging and the battery is holding a charge... Well, holding it for short periods anyways. We'll see how it goes tomorrow morning.