DRL's on American 2011 Edge

tpm419419

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called my dealership to ask about activating the DRLs. They didn't know for sure if they could do it but were willing to try. If they are successful then they would charge me 49$. No charge if that can't figure it out.

I just might do it when I get a chance

I went to the dealer and watched them while they looked through the options on the laptop while it was hooked to my car.

No option for turning on DRLs

Bummer.

This seems impossible! There has to be a setting somewhere to make this adjustment. How frustrating!

Ā 

Frankly I'm surprised that those LEDs aren't used as DRLs. I don't even know what the point of having them is now... every european manufacturer is coming out with LED DRLs (Audi, MB, Porsche, VW, BMW - well not exactly with those halo/corona lights).

Ā 

I'd love for someone who lives in Detroit and owns a 2011 Edge to drive over to Windsor and see if a Canadian dealer can flip on those DRLs.

Ā 

I'll buy you a Molson if it works! ;-)

This seems impossible! There has to be a setting somewhere to make this adjustment. How frustrating!

Ā 

Frankly I'm surprised that those LEDs aren't used as DRLs. I don't even know what the point of having them is now... every european manufacturer is coming out with LED DRLs (Audi, MB, Porsche, VW, BMW - well not exactly with those halo/corona lights).

Ā 

I'd love for someone who lives in Detroit and owns a 2011 Edge to drive over to Windsor and see if a Canadian dealer can flip on those DRLs.

Ā 

I'll buy you a Molson if it works! ;-)

Good point! Is it the dealer's software that is limiting???

Good point! Is it the dealer's software that is limiting???

Ā 

Yes, it is a software issue. The DRL module can be configured, you just have to change the DID DE0A from 00 (off) to 01 (low beam), 02 (fog lamps) or 03 (turn lamps). But this is not part of the standard dealer software package. They must have the software that allows them to go right into the SPDJB to change this.

Ā 

Canadian dealers get the same software as US dealers.

Yes, it is a software issue. The DRL module can be configured, you just have to change the DID DE0A from 00 (off) to 01 (low beam), 02 (fog lamps) or 03 (turn lamps). But this is not part of the standard dealer software package. They must have the software that allows them to go right into the SPDJB to change this.

Ā 

Well Well Well. How can I get my hands on this. My guess if it is available on the market, it would be expensive.

I would need the dealy wop that connects to the car/laptop plus the software (my guess it's windows only)

Ā 

I wonder how I can locate someone with this ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Waldo you sound like you know your stuff.

Ā 

So two questions then - 1. Can the DRL module on the 2011 Edge be configured to keep on only the LED accent lights as DRLs? and 2. Can anyone find a dealer who is actually able to perform this functionality?

Ā 

This is just one of those tiny little things that will annoy me. Not a dealbreaker, but those LED lights really have no real purpose (I guess they look cool when on), unless to fulfill the role of DRLs like on many other makes.

Ā 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

[

If you turn the light dial to the parking light position, the amber parking lights will be on and the LED strip.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

quote name=wilsons66604' date='03 October 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1286144451' post='43595]

The LEDs are really cool.

I'm in KS and have been too lazy to jump out of the car while driving to see if they were lit. Can anyone confirm that they stay on? I think the amber lights may stay on also.

Having no luck at the dealer, with respect to programming the LED's to act as daytime running lights, I decided to go the hardware route.

Ā 

I installed a 12 volt DPDT (double pole double throw) relay that activates when the engine is running. Power for this was taken from the engine bay fuse panel.

Ā 

The hot wire to each LED is interrupted, and both the + LED wire and the +12v LED feed are fed to the relay from both left and right. The LED + wires from left and right are connected to the relay wiper. Left & Right +12 v LED feed wires are connected to the Normally closed terminals on the relay, so that when the Edge is off, the LED's operate normally, when doors are locked/unlocked.

Ā 

+12v from the fuse panel is connected to the normally open relay terminals. When the engine is running, the relay energizes, and the LED's are connected to the +12v from the fuse panel.

Ā 

Attached is a basic schematic of how to wire this:

post-11406-047371600 1289570149_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if the Canadian Edge's come with something as simple as an extra fuse in the large fuse box under the hood? Maybe someone from Canada can take a photo of their large fues box and we can compare it to a similarly equipped US version? Maybe we can figure out if its just a fuse?

Edited by Edgieguy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if the Canadian Edge's come with something as simple as an extra fuse in the large fuse box under the hood? Maybe someone from Canada can take a photo of their large fues box and we can compare it to a similarly equipped US version? Maybe we can figure out if its just a fuse?

Ā 

As I posted on the previous page, DRL is purely a software device. There are no additional fuses or wires.

To date, there has been no real reports of anyone getting the DRLs activated in the US.

My dealer showed me the options they had to modify and there was no DRL option.

Where are these elusive software fixes?

Could it be that the 2011 Edge is a bit different than the 2007 Edge?

Ā 

I suspect that this feature is intentionally deep-disabled in US vehicles to discourage Canadians from importing them. Since the vehicle must have DRL in Canada, the harder it is to implement it, the fewer sales our dealerships lose to lower priced imports. It's how the game is played when it comes to implementing artificial differences in US vs. Canadian specs.

• 1 month later...

I installed a DPDT 12 volt relay, which will activate when the Edge is running. When the relay energizes, it will disconnect the LED's from the vehicle's electrical system, and supply +12v to the LED's. By using a relay, the LED's are lit when the Edge is running, but when the ignition is off, the LED's will operate normally with the lock/unlock function. Power for the relay is supplied from the under hood fuse box, using a Littlefuse tap, available at Pep Boys.

Ā 

Here is a link to the wiring diagram:

Ā 

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/5566-drls-on-american-2011-edge/page__st__20

• 3 months later...

I'm in Chile and I just bought a 2011 Edge SEL. I'm guessing the car was imported directly from Canada (where it was manufactured) but the dealer can't find the DRL option in the software. I know this because I was standing right next to the mechanic while he had the computer plugged in the car. No DRL option anywhere. As a matter of fact, I didn't notice anything different than the option that we get on our dash save a few thing I couldn't decipher with my limited "Ford" knowledge.

Ā 

The main reason why I wanted the DRL other than the safety and cool effect is that the auto lamp sensor takes too long to turn on the headlamp. It take about 10 seconds after I go into a tunnel or underground garage. Here in Santiago there's an expressway built under/next to a river and it's mandatory(and for safety reason) to have the lamps on while driving in it. The other day, as soon as I went in it, a car cut in front of me, probably because he didn't see me because the headlamp didn't come on right away. 2~3 second delay is what I'm used to from other cars but 10 seconds is too long. Do your Edge take that long?

Ā 

If I have LEDs as DRL, at least it will cover me until the auto sensor catches on. Might have to go with Tarponbeach's route and install a relay.

• 1 month later...

I got the DRL activated by my local Ford dealership on my 2011 Ford Edge Sport that I purchased in the U.S. and imported into Canada .They turned them on through the computer but had to set the amber parking lights as the DRL instead of the headlights because U.S. models don't have that option as per the service advisor.