Fuel Economy Impressions

tenstepn

Hey gang, I have officially owned my FWD 2011 Edge SEL for one month and thought I would share my fuel economy findings....these of course apply to me personally and may not reflect the fuel economy others.

Number of tanks burned = 4.

55% city and 44% highway driving

24.1 MPG based on my calcualtions and NOT the computer.

The computer is telling me 22.0 MPG.

My driving style has been relatively consistant with smooth acceleration and shifts occurring at 3000ish RPMs. HWY speed = 70 MPH.

Fuel used has been Mobile, Shell, BP and Shell - 87 octane.

When the low fuel light says 0 miles to empty is means 0! -- 2 of the 4 tanks I pumped 17.6 gallons!

:redcard:

I wouldn't recommend running the tank down that low. As time goes on, you can pull up crap from the bottom of the tank,and screw your injectors, and more. I try and refill our cars when I'm down to 1/3 tank, unless on a trip.

Joe

I usually refill at 1/4 but in the spirit of finding out the accuracy of the fuel gauge I thought, what the hell!

• 1 month later...

You are lucky. My EDGE SEL AWD has much worse MPG than yours. The computer tells a good number, by my own calculation is much worse.

Hey gang, I have officially owned my FWD 2011 Edge SEL for one month and thought I would share my fuel economy findings....these of course apply to me personally and may not reflect the fuel economy others.

Number of tanks burned = 4.

55% city and 44% highway driving

24.1 MPG based on my calcualtions and NOT the computer.

The computer is telling me 22.0 MPG.

My driving style has been relatively consistant with smooth acceleration and shifts occurring at 3000ish RPMs. HWY speed = 70 MPH.

Fuel used has been Mobile, Shell, BP and Shell - 87 octane.

When the low fuel light says 0 miles to empty is means 0! -- 2 of the 4 tanks I pumped 17.6 gallons!

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, I'm doing better than you with an AWD 3.7L Sport. On a recent trip (A lot of highway) with winter blend fuel I managed 19.2

EDIT: After approximately 4200 miles, I'm averaging 20.3mpg. I only have a 16 mile 20 minute commute, not the best for raising fuel economy, but all things considered I don't think that's too bad.

Edited by Edgieguy

I haven't seen over 19mpg for a tank yet. I drive >80% hwy and <20% city. I did take one trip of a couple hundred highway miles and managed about 19.8mpg. Looking on Fuelly, it looks like the 2011s are having a tough time coming close to the 25mpg (or 27 for FWD) rating:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/edge/2011

I'm hoping this is just a combination of winter gas, cooler weather, and not being fully broken in yet... although I'm not very optimistic.

I haven't seen over 19mpg for a tank yet. I drive >80% hwy and <20% city. I did take one trip of a couple hundred highway miles and managed about 19.8mpg. Looking on Fuelly, it looks like the 2011s are having a tough time coming close to the 25mpg (or 27 for FWD) rating:

I'm hoping this is just a combination of winter gas, cooler weather, and not being fully broken in yet... although I'm not very optimistic.

The day after I bought my 2007 AWD SEL, I had it packed down with 3 adults and my two kids and drove from MN to NY before deployment and we got an average of 21-22 MPG and that was pretty much all HWY other than to get gas and Chicago traffic. I was excited to get the Edge and get at least 25 on the HWY, wasn't happy with what I seen after that trip. I might have well as kept the 2000 Expedition with AWD because it got the same MPG and it weighs considerably more!!!!! I still love the Edge though, don't get me wrong. Just disappointed with the false advertising put on by Ford on this one and I have owned nothing but Fords! I am blue oval through and through, so is my family! I have to give chevy the props on the mpg class in this AO as much as I hate to say it! Ford needs to get their head out of their fourth point of contact on this one!

2011 SEL FWD

Just returned from a 500+ mile trip from Central Indiana to southern Michigan and back. driving was all on US31 which is a 2 lane devided highway that goes through several small towns. traveled at the speed limit which is mostly 60-65 .. very suprised and happy to get a combined MPG of 28.1

Well, about 750 miles already, mostly city, and I see only about 10 mpg when going around citi and about 15 if I hit the road .... I wonder how they got those ratings.....

I'm right on 20 with a mix of highway/city. I recently went all highway and didn't really see an increase from that 20. Not sure how to get the 26 that was on the sticker!

I am with "Tulsa" here. And I'm sorry to inform you Tulsa, it ain't gonna get any better on the highway unless you 'throttle' back to between 60-65 MPH.

I have a 2010 Edge "SPORT". (Which b/t/w I do not recommend the sport edition) with 45000 miles (yes I drive a lot)

I have yet to get better than 20-MPG highway, city or a mix of both, though my commute is 60 miles every day, and I average 19 MPG.

One caveat: I have done some research and have discovered that huge wheels/tires do cost fuel economy. The rotational inertia and cross sectional area take energy to get them put into motion (in this case the energy is spelled 87 octane fuel) and to change the rotational speed takes energy as well (IE accelerate). Unfortunately the Sport edition has huge wheels/tires! ^:- (

??: Does anyone notice that to get their Edge to accelerate when at highway speeds(70-75), especially if in overdrive, that you have to depress the accelerator enough to get the transmission to shift down about 2 gears or so and bring the RPM up to about 3K before their Edge will speed up? (This could be another cause/repercussion of the 22" wheels)

I have also noticed like "KYEDGE" that the Ford Edge is very speed sensitive in relation to MPG. 65 does seem to be the top of the 'sweet' spot, with anything over that speed (at least in the doggy 'SPORT' edition) causing MPG to drop off rapidly. With the cruise control set at 75-80 MPH, (yes, of course I'm in a state with 75 MPH speed limit) my MPG is barely 19. Also, If you have ANY head wind...MPG can easily drop to 17 and I have once gotten 15.5 with a strong head wind! I know that Ford has realized they made a "dog" in the 2010 Edge Sport edition, and they have attempted to fixed the problem for 2011 with 3.7 liter 300+ horsepower engine, but that does not help me one bit since I have a 2010. My next move is to get ride of those 22" mamba wheels that the Sport edition comes with and get much smaller/lower frontal area 18 or 17" wheels. Especially as it looks like we will be staring $4.00 a gallon gas in the face very soon now! (Oh, also, those big 22" tires are have a soft compound rubber and look to only last about 50,000 miles. WAIT till you price out replacement tires for the Sport edition! Yikes....$250 a tire is cheap!)

?? So, does anyone know if 5 bolt ford explorer wheels fit an Edge? I can get a good deal on a set of 4 that look very similar to the Edge 18" wheels.

Thx

Edited by Duckman

2011 SEL FWD

Just returned from a 500+ mile trip from Central Indiana to southern Michigan and back. driving was all on US31 which is a 2 lane devided highway that goes through several small towns. traveled at the speed limit which is mostly 60-65 .. very suprised and happy to get a combined MPG of 28.1

You have "broken" the code Jim. The Edge does 'pretty good' at 60-65 MPH. BUT (there's always a but isn't there). The Edge is ANYTHING but aerodynamic, in fact it seems to be pretty 'draggy'. Try interstate driving at 75-80 and watch what happens!! Yikes!! and OUCH...

Just finished a trip from northern Oregon to San Francisco area and return in a new 2011 AWD Limited. Mostly interstate running 65-75 with a weight of about 5100#. MPG varied from a low of 19.2 up to 21.6. The computer vs. actual calculation seemed to be about 0.2 mpg difference with the computer saying worse than actual.

I think I figured out how to get better mileage. We recently had a decent snow storm and I had to do a lot of driving that day. Since everyone slows down during the snow I was only able to go between 45 and 55mph on the highways and I noticed that I was averaging about 23 mpg by the end of the day. So, if you want better gas mileage keep it under 55!!!

Which bring up an interesting point. How exactly are the EPA estimates calculated? There's no way they were going over 60 or 65 and got anywhere close to 25mpg in the Edge.