SPORT grill for SEL

drevv

I like it. I'm actually thinking of going "the other way" - hoping to pick up my sport in the next month or so. Right now, the front runner is the Black Sport, as I like a "consistent" look of the grill with the rest of the body.

However, since I had a bit of time, I photoshopped my 2 favorite non-black colors, and got an idea as to what painting grill panels would do to the look.

edgecolors.png

What do you think?

Would it be possible to have a photoshop done in Platinum White (or just plain white) to get an idea as to how it will look?

I'm tossed between body-color or black to mimic a Sport...

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go the vinyl route as I will be on a 36mo lease and it will be removable.

3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber twill vinyl is pretty awesome. It comes in a multitude of finishes and colors. If you don't like the finish on the dash, easily changed. Or if you have a Limited and don't like the woodish treatment etc,

Personally, I will end up putting the same finish on both the grille and dash... I'm thinking Charcoal or Black CF ... maybe even White CF (have to see how it looks next to the Platinum Met. White)

Edited by cal3thousand

• 3 weeks later...

I just wrapped mine with FLAT BLACK vinyl, including the Logo as i didn't like that huge stamp on the front with the unmatching blue backing on the logo. So i blacked out the whole grill, including the top chrome lining that goes between the headlights and hood, which the Ford Sports grill does not black out, keeps chrome. So i like mine a bit better. I also blacked out the long chrome piece in the middle of the Edge's liftgate in the back, covering that logo too.

Here are before and after pics of what i did.

post-15106-050905200 1302728514_thumb.jpg

post-15106-075910200 1302728529_thumb.jpg

I just wrapped mine with FLAT BLACK vinyl, including the Logo as i didn't like that huge stamp on the front with the unmatching blue backing on the logo. So i blacked out the whole grill, including the top chrome lining that goes between the headlights and hood, which the Ford Sports grill does not black out, keeps chrome. So i like mine a bit better. I also blacked out the long chrome piece in the middle of the Edge's liftgate in the back, covering that logo too.

Lookin tough! yup.gif

Mind me asking where/what vinyl and how much (sq ft) did it take? I'm pretty sure this is one of my next mods.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

how much did you pay to wrap it

I'm going to go the vinyl route as I will be on a 36mo lease and it will be removable.

3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber twill vinyl is pretty awesome. It comes in a multitude of finishes and colors. If you don't like the finish on the dash, easily changed. Or if you have a Limited and don't like the woodish treatment etc,

Personally, I will end up putting the same finish on both the grille and dash... I'm thinking Charcoal or Black CF ... maybe even White CF (have to see how it looks next to the Platinum Met. White)

Looks like crap. Might be okay for inside, but not outside. It's more of a cream color.

2011-07-20184422Small.jpg

2011-07-20184523Small.jpg

2011-07-20184518Small.jpg

• 6 months later...

The 2013 Edge SEL is available with the "SEL Appearance Package". This package includes color-matched grille inserts. It seems to only be available in Deep Impact Blue, Ruby Red, Ingot Silver, and White Platinum Tri-Coat. The 2013 Edge Sport keeps its blacked grille inserts.

In my opinion, the black inserts create a "void" area between the forward flanks of the bumper cover. That accentuates the aggressive front end design and its use of depth to create tension. The use of the black also fools the eye in to thinking the intake area is even larger, which conveys additional intake requirements due to increased power. Notice that many "sport" models from various manufacturers include larger and more distinctive intake cutouts than the non-sport models (whether or not they are needed). Using colored inserts fills that "void" and makes the Edge look less unique. With the high-volume SEL model now available with painted inserts keeping the grille inserts black on a Sport may actually become the more unique choice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome job in photoshop... how about a pic with just the lower black piece white? I bought the kit that has all three pieces and was going to paint just the bottom piece. Your pic with all three has me 'undecided' now. I would appreciate it. Oh yes, white is the color. cozzz Email me

Here you go - quick and dirty version.

OEM:

2zf5r8g.jpg

Custom:

1247sb5.png

I also want to praise you on your eloquent prose and use of spacial and contrasting relationships in describing the visual composition the designers created for the front end.

Not too shabby on your wording either ;)

I would've just been like "Whoa nicee..." LOL.

I just painted the Black Sport Grille on mine too because I LOVED the huge contrast between the black and the white. It really sticks out.

well you'll have to let me know how it goes. doesn't look hard to take those pieces out except they have that stupid star pattern with a peg in it, so gotta find one of those.

They're called "Tamper-proof Torx," and the auto parts stores have them.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the 3 piece inserts and had the local body shop paint them White (same color as the car). The White Pearl Tri-Coat paint cost $120 a pint (ouch)! Pulling the grill off is easy. Just follow these instructions: http://mechanixtrix.com/Article/Article.aspx?ArticleId=405

I popped the black inserts off in just a few minutes. All white grill on the Sport looks cool. I'll post pics after I put the grill back on.

Also painted the chrome above the headlights and hood edge with Plasti-Dip. That was real easy. Waiting for the Plasti-Dip clear to arrive so I can finish.