SPORT grill for SEL

drevv

Hi everyone,

I just became an owner of a brand new 2011 FORD Edge. I absolutely love the way SPORT' black grill looks like, however i ended up getting SEL with 202a w/Nav and BLIS. So basically a Limited w/o Sony radio on a cheap :) Anyways, i'm looking to see if anyone has been able to replace a silver SEL/Limited grill with the one from SPORT model on their EDGE. i would like to know what exactly i need to order and how hard would it be to do it yourself, or if i need to involve my dealer . I would appreciate any info on this subject matter.

Thank you

Andrew.

Ask a local body shop. They can prep and paint your grill with the same tuxedo black metallic that the sports have. or you can order a new grill set and have that painted.

Any advantage of ordering a new grill instead of using the original? Also would you recommend going to the FORD dealer to get it painted in order to get the color right, or you think a regular body shop would be able to do it?

Thank you,

No advantage of having Ford do it. Just find a quality shop and look at their work. Every shop has access to the right color. As far as ordering a new grill? If you have license plate holes you want to get rid of that could be one. Or just to have the Chrome to change back to in case you want to sell the Edge could be another reason. Up to you really.

• Like 1

Any advantage of ordering a new grill instead of using the original? Also would you recommend going to the FORD dealer to get it painted in order to get the color right, or you think a regular body shop would be able to do it?

The advantage to ordering a new one is you can have it painted and ready to install then just switch it out and you don't have to drive without one while you wait for the body shop to paint it.

The other advantage is if you decide to sell it you can always swap the oem grille back in.

A lot of dealers don't have their own body shop anyway - they use a local one. I'd check with the dealer first either way to see who they use. It's a very easy paint job so any decent shop should be able to do it easily.

The advantage to ordering a new one is you can have it painted and ready to install then just switch it out and you don't have to drive without one while you wait for the body shop to paint it.

The other advantage is if you decide to sell it you can always swap the oem grille back in.

A lot of dealers don't have their own body shop anyway - they use a local one. I'd check with the dealer first either way to see who they use. It's a very easy paint job so any decent shop should be able to do it easily.

Awesome! I appreciate your quick responses and the advice. Can't wait to get my SEL lookin' like a SPORT :)

I went to the local body-shop, today to get my grill painted tuxedo black metallic to match the one of the SPORT models. As i learned before on this forum the grill can be dismounted and painted separately. However after the guy tired to take the grill off and partially dislodged the top piece of the grill, he informed me that the bottom piece appeared to be bolted to the front bumper, making it difficult to take completely apart. I have previously dealt with this body shop and had service done to my other vehicles, so i can assure you that the guy isn't a complete moron. But i'm suspecting that he has never had to do this before on this type of a vehicle and was clueless on how dismount the grill for paint. He advised me that it would be best if i left the car in his shop for a few days and have it painted right on the car, i decided not to do it at this time and figured i would do more research regarding this procedure. I recall reading that this is a relatively easy process and something that almost anyone can complete in one afternoon. I was wondering if anyone has a diagram or detailed instructions on how to dismount the grill on 2011 EDGE, so i can take it back to the shop, so i'm not left without a car for a few days, and i certainly don't want it being painted right on the car, in fear that paint can get into nooks and cranes and ruin the overall pain and end up looking like a hack job.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Nice...How much did it cost you? My wife has a red Limited coming in a few weeks.

The owner of the shop is a friend of a friend, so he gave a good deal (i think). He charged me $175, but said a job like this would cost at least $225. I dropped it off yesterday morning and picked it up this afternoon, so I had to get a rental for a day ($30). Well worth it i think, the original looks good and everything , but way too much chrome for my taste :)

Edited by drevv
  • Like 1

I like it. I'm actually thinking of going "the other way" - hoping to pick up my sport in the next month or so. Right now, the front runner is the Black Sport, as I like a "consistent" look of the grill with the rest of the body.

However, since I had a bit of time, I photoshopped my 2 favorite non-black colors, and got an idea as to what painting grill panels would do to the look.

edgecolors.png

What do you think?

I like it. I'm actually thinking of going "the other way" - hoping to pick up my sport in the next month or so. Right now, the front runner is the Black Sport, as I like a "consistent" look of the grill with the rest of the body.

However, since I had a bit of time, I photoshopped my 2 favorite non-black colors, and got an idea as to what painting grill panels would do to the look.

edgecolors.png

What do you think?

I absolutely love candy red with a black grill combination. I actually almost bought one just like it, but had to walk away due to high price tag (the one that got away!) I think that silver with silver (not chrome) looks pretty cool as well. Believe it or not I saw black on black sport at the dealer where i bought mine and didn't really like it that much. it looked way too grim...but that's just my opinion. I also liked a white Sport with black grill. If i were u i would lookup the inventory of your local dealers and go see each color in person, you'll get a completely different perspective than looking at pictures. it's a sharp looking vehicle and so whatever color/combo you pick it's a guaranteed head-turner. Best of luck with your purchase!

That looks awesome. I'd drop off your wheels next and have him paint the insides of the spokes tuxedo black.

Thanks! Painted wheels might be a bit much :) i don't think painted 18' will ever look as good as factory Sport's 22' Now i got HIDs on my mind, once i make heads and tails of it.

Thanks! Painted wheels might be a bit much :) i don't think painted 18' will ever look as good as factory Sport's 22' Now i got HIDs on my mind, once i make heads and tails of it.

Drevv: the grill looks awesome, thanks for sharing. I am guessing the shop painted in on the car because you had to use a rental correct? I might have to give that a try with Blue (named by my girls) once I know I can get the grill off.

Drevv: the grill looks awesome, thanks for sharing. I am guessing the shop painted in on the car because you had to use a rental correct? I might have to give that a try with Blue (named by my girls) once I know I can get the grill off.

Thanks, i think it looks awsome and i'm glad i got it done :) They ended up taking the grill of the car completely, because they had to sand it and then prime it to get ready for paint. But i'm guessing it was a difficult process because he also said that they had to remove the front bumber to get it done.

How about photo shopping a White Suede 011' Edge with that same white grille. I've been in search of seeing what that would look like.

Thanx a ton

edgecolors.png

What do you think?