Engine noise

Tractor

Since new, there is always a very noticeable clicking noise from the engine when cold, and gradually quiets when warmed up... similar to a sticking valve lifter. The servicing dealer checked with Ford and said the engineers are working on the issue, but there are no repairs for this condition and it will not harm the engine. I hope they find the fix for it soon...totally unacceptable for ANY vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

Tractor, looks like we have something in common, I too have a new 2011 Edge (purchased in December) that has a clicking/ticking in the engine. I took delivery on a Thursday and discovered the noise over the following Weekend.

I took the vehicle to the dealer who looked at it, agreed there was a noise, and gave me a copy of the Service Bulletin issued by Ford saying that engineering is looking into the concern and that they recommend that repairs not be attempted at this time. That was on a Friday and, the following Monday I went back to the dealer and \met with the sales manager/service manager. I explained that had I heard the noise or Ford had disclosed to me that some of these vehicles have an engine concern being looked into by engineering, I would never have purchased the vehicle. I left the vehicle with the dealer for 2 weeks while they tried to get a repair procedure, a replacement vehicle, or my money back. Needless to say they were not successful on any account.

I escalated my concern to Ford Customer Service in Dearborn. I requested a replacement vehicle (one that didn’t have the engine noise) or my money back since they did not know what was causing it and did not have a repair procedure. The rep said engineering explained to her that the noise was only happening because the “engine oil pressure was not up to maximum” (not what I wanted to hear). My engine makes the clicking noise for several minutes while warming up. It doesn’t make me feel good to think the engine oil pressure may be low while it is warming up. Well, just today the representative called me and said that my request was denied. She again said engineering is continuing to monitor the concern and they feel it does not pose a safety issue and that it will not cause engine damage. I thought it was interesting that she said there have been 5 reports in the US of this concern. Tractor and me makes 2 so, there are at least 3 more 2011’s Edges with the same problem out there.

I don’t know about you but, I have a hard time believing that a metallic sound in an engine that occurs because the oil pressure is not at maximum will not cause excessive wear over time. Like I told the Ford rep, I can only image what kind of problem I will have trying to sell this vehicle in 3 years with a noisy engine.

Not sure what I’ll do next. That’s why I’m here on this forum. Trying to find if others have had this kind of problem and if so, how they resolved it. Needless to say, I’m not a happy camper!

Anyone want to buy a 2011 Ford Edge?

Hello Guys,

I dont have a Edge yet but my actual car is a Skoda Octavia 1.8 Turbo. I remember when I got this car, it made the same ticking sound you talking about.

Factory, my car use 10W-30 oil and I fix this thiking sound problemo changing to 0W-30 Castrol Sintetic Oil. Belive it or not, after I switch to that oil, never hear again the hidraulic lifter clicking sound in the morning

Its my undertanding that the Edge use 5W-20 oil. Can you try 0W-20? Many well know oil brands make Sintetic 0W-20. I recomend you to try it.

Hope this help you,

Regards,

Isaac

Edited by Turbo_Boss

• 4 weeks later...

The noise you are probably hearing are the cam phasers.

My 2008 does it when cold, then after warm up, it goes away. It does this for about 4 minutes or so.

My Ford dealer told me that these phaser noises are normal. We even went outside and checked a 2008 and 2010 Ford with the 3.5L engine.

One was a Taurus X, the other an Edge.

I just make sure that synthetic oil is installed every 5 months or so.

I have to admit that was not the answer I was looking for, but for my own protection, I keep with the synthetic.

I have the same ticking noise when cold on my '08 Limited. This is the sound of the fuel injectors opening and closing. It has nothing to do with oil pressure. A car takes a matter of seconds to fully lubricate the over-head cams. Fords have been making this ticking noise at start-up for years. My 2001 mustang GT makes the exact same noise during warm-up and it has a completely different engine but the same ford designed fuel injectors. I use fuel system cleaner every oil change and finally decided to give lucas upper cylinder lubricant and fuel injector cleaner a try. Car still had ticking noise but it was much quieter and went away much quicker....proving that the noise has nothing to do with the lubricity of the motor or viscosity of the oil. BTW, when switched from Mobil 1 to pennzoil ultra synthetic, I picked up a soild mpg......computer calculations.

I have the same ticking noise when cold on my '08 Limited. This is the sound of the fuel injectors opening and closing. It has nothing to do with oil pressure. A car takes a matter of seconds to fully lubricate the over-head cams. Fords have been making this ticking noise at start-up for years. My 2001 mustang GT makes the exact same noise during warm-up and it has a completely different engine but the same ford designed fuel injectors. I use fuel system cleaner every oil change and finally decided to give lucas upper cylinder lubricant and fuel injector cleaner a try. Car still had ticking noise but it was much quieter and went away much quicker....proving that the noise has nothing to do with the lubricity of the motor or viscosity of the oil. BTW, when switched from Mobil 1 to pennzoil ultra synthetic, I picked up a soild mpg......computer calculations.

My new SEL makes some clicking noises too. Hard to tell if fuel injectors or valvetrain. Now if you want to hear some rattling that will make you wince, you should hear my 2000 Ford Explorer with 200,000+ miles 4.0 SOHC. When it starts, sounds like a metal chain is being dragged off the end of an aluminum table. But still gets close to 18mpg if i baby it.

• 3 years later...

Bump

My 2007 Edge SEL make a clicking-ticking sound on cold starts. After warming up for a few minutes it goes away. I was told by the Ford dealer in town that it is normal for the 3.5 engine line up for those SUV and cars. Best thing to do is make sure you change the oil on a good and tight schedule.

Thanks, Josh

What oil and filter are you using, Josh? This engine seems to prefer the OEM Motorcraft FL400S, due to the location of the bypass valve at the base end as opposed to most other filters, providing lubrication that much quicker to the engine on startup.

If the sound goes on for a few minutes, it could be due to inadequate lubrication through the cam phasers, so keeping a tight schedule on OCs is an excellent recommendation.

My 2007 Edge SEL make a clicking-ticking sound on cold starts. After warming up for a few minutes it goes away. I was told by the Ford dealer in town that it is normal for the 3.5 engine line up for those SUV and cars. Best thing to do is make sure you change the oil on a good and tight schedule.

Thanks, Josh

Hey Josh,

Have you considered bringing your Edge to a different Ford Dealer for a second opinion? You may locate one here.

Todd

• 1 year later...

We traded our 2011 MKX in that didnt have that noise, for a 2015 MKX, that does.

Been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks now. Hotline has instructed to check valce clearences, which are to spec. They are having a hard time diagnsing the noise, since it goes away after 3-5 minutes and wont likely do it again the same day.

From what i read here, it's supposed to be "normal", but if thats the case, all of them should do it. Something dont jive here. Furthermore, if Ford claims it to be norman (which they havent said), one would think the Hotline would be aware of that.

It is worth trying full synthetic oils from different major mfrs (and a 0W instead of 5W oil) to see if this is indeed a cam phaser issue. The oil passages are very small in the phasers and get easily clogged, but better lubricants may be just what are needed. Nobody has mentioned a 2015 with this issue, hope they chime in if they too are experiencing it.

For those interested in a little experimentation with their vehicles, if you have tried everything else to quiet the "ticking", there is one thing that you can add to your fuel that might actually work. It is not cheap, but it is used mostly in commercial fleets to improve mpg & engine service life.

The product is called ACES IV, and you can purchase it from:

http://bndautomotive.com/aces-formulas/aces-iv-gasoline-formula/

A thread on the Charger forum about this product:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101392

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W