twincam1450

Interior Lights won't come on when Door Opens

The interior lights & vanity mirror lights, are not working properly. They will not come on when the doors open or when you click the unlock button, nor will they come on when you roll the Dimmer switch to the ON position. However they will come on when you toggle each switch individually.

I have checked the fuses and they are all good. I saw somewhere that this is a common problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

I have never experienced this problem. When you say 'they will come on when you toggle each switch individually' what switches are you referring to???

Sorry, I understand what you mean now. But I'm not sure why it's operating the way you've described.

I had the opposite problem. Couldn’t turn the dang things off – and couldn’t keep the parking lights from coming on every time a door was opened. It interfered with star-gazing and stalking my ex. Seems that some model-years allow you to turn these functions on/off by pressing various buttons at certain intervals. If so, it’ll be in your owner’s manual. For my 2010 Edge, the Factory Trained Service Advisor, at my Authorized Ford Dealer, initially told me it couldn’t be changed. But, after arguing with him, he agreed to have a Knowledgeable, Factory -Trained, Service-Technician take a look at it. Conclusion: It could be changed, but since the change would require an actual connection to an actual computer, the cost would be $118.

Do the interior lights come on when you rotate the dimmer switch to the dome lamp position? If yes, it's probably one of door ajar switch(s) hanging up for dirt, old grease, etc.

Try opening each door and spraying WD-40 into each door latch. Then open and close each door several times to free it up.

If the interior lights do not come on with the dimmer switch, the smart junction box probably has a fault in it.

(Secondary options include broken wires, corroded connections, etc).

Edited by enigma-2

I have a 2014 Edge. A couple of weeks ago I left the lift gate open all night. Now the dome lights will not come on when I open any of the doors. The map lights work when you turn them on manually and the puddle lights and vanity mirror lights work. I checked all the fuses and I disconnected the battery for a while in hopes something would reset. I checked all the bulbs and they all work. I opened and closed all the doors many times with no success. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you,

On 3/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, DPMS said:

I have a 2014 Edge. A couple of weeks ago I left the lift gate open all night. Now the dome lights will not come on when I open any of the doors. The map lights work when you turn them on manually and the puddle lights and vanity mirror lights work. I checked all the fuses and I disconnected the battery for a while in hopes something would reset. I checked all the bulbs and they all work. I opened and closed all the doors many times with no success. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you,

Did you ever find a fix?