Am I missing something ???

tneison

So... I was about to pull the trigger on an 11 Edge Limited with the 302A package. I can get one at $2,500 below invoice with the zag/usaa pricing so no argument on the price.

I then found this forum, which is great, however I became paranoid about the MyFord Touch issues ( I have probably read TOO much). I noticed most of the real bad issues go back 6+ months ago, and I know the most recent patch seems to have made it more stable, but there is still a lot of emotion over MFT. I'd be pissed if I had to go to the dealer 4+ times as well - and even if it ended up fixed I'd have that bitter taste in my mouth. In this case, it's hard just joining a forum and filtering out how much is lingering resentment vs. CURRENT issues if you buy one now.

I'm an IT guy, so I am probably a little more I'll say patient regarding of the importance of software updates, bug fixes, etc. and I'm also willing to deal with a few minor hiccups here or there as long as I know it will be resolved. One of my concerns was the delay or touch/feedback issues people were reporting when using the touchscreen. So I went to the dealer today and wanted to test it out more thoroughly. I was able to sync my iPhone 4 and stream Pandora (important) in about 30 seconds. I keyed in addresses in the NAV system and found it to have a similar response I have had on any other auto's NAV system, and it was actually far quicker than the p.o.s. one in a Passat one we had a year or two ago. The touchscreen at first was different than say an iPad, but if you use deliberate pushes on the screen that seemed ok too. I Played around with the voice commands, etc. and everything worked fine. I understand that this wasn't a thorough test, and obviously something can always break, but what else do I really need to check out before pulling the trigger? I obviously can't test drive one for two weeks.

Having read this forum at length for the past 2 days, I have no reservation about the other aspects of the Edge, you can tell people love it for the most part.

Good for you for reading with a grain of salt.

Yes there are frustrations and someone people have major issues. Some have had hardware failures too -

I was one of the early purchaser's (Last September) and I am still on the original 1.8 version that came with the car. I have had my oil changed once and just over 10k miles. I love the car. I have a limited AWD 301A with Navigation. I will say my maps are a bit off, but more in the sense of driving a half in off the road in the picture - not missing major streets.

I love this car and would purchase it again.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm driving an 08 limited now with sync and nav and it's been great.

I'm ready to make the leap to a 11 or 12 and the selling point is the MFT.

Needless to say I'm having second thoughts also from reading this board or just Google searches.

Im kind of in a holding pattern.

Lenny

So... I was about to pull the trigger on an 11 Edge Limited with the 302A package. I can get one at $2,500 below invoice with the zag/usaa pricing so no argument on the price.

I then found this forum, which is great, however I became paranoid about the MyFord Touch issues ( I have probably read TOO much). I noticed most of the real bad issues go back 6+ months ago, and I know the most recent patch seems to have made it more stable, but there is still a lot of emotion over MFT. I'd be pissed if I had to go to the dealer 4+ times as well - and even if it ended up fixed I'd have that bitter taste in my mouth. In this case, it's hard just joining a forum and filtering out how much is lingering resentment vs. CURRENT issues if you buy one now.

I'm an IT guy, so I am probably a little more I'll say patient regarding of the importance of software updates, bug fixes, etc. and I'm also willing to deal with a few minor hiccups here or there as long as I know it will be resolved. One of my concerns was the delay or touch/feedback issues people were reporting when using the touchscreen. So I went to the dealer today and wanted to test it out more thoroughly. I was able to sync my iPhone 4 and stream Pandora (important) in about 30 seconds. I keyed in addresses in the NAV system and found it to have a similar response I have had on any other auto's NAV system, and it was actually far quicker than the p.o.s. one in a Passat one we had a year or two ago. The touchscreen at first was different than say an iPad, but if you use deliberate pushes on the screen that seemed ok too. I Played around with the voice commands, etc. and everything worked fine. I understand that this wasn't a thorough test, and obviously something can always break, but what else do I really need to check out before pulling the trigger? I obviously can't test drive one for two weeks.

Having read this forum at length for the past 2 days, I have no reservation about the other aspects of the Edge, you can tell people love it for the most part.

I just updated to version 2.8 which is currently shipping in Edges and MKXs right now.

I have to admit, the touch sensitivity is MUCH better. I don't have to hold my finger there for a period of time like I did with v2.7

Of course it will never be like an iPad since that screen is capacitive and the one in our vehicles is resistive.

So don't expect capacitive smoothness and you should be happy. Also note that the Navigation maps are pretty weak if you are used to Google Maps.

I just updated to version 2.8 which is currently shipping in Edges and MKXs right now.

I have to admit, the touch sensitivity is MUCH better. I don't have to hold my finger there for a period of time like I did with v2.7

Of course it will never be like an iPad since that screen is capacitive and the one in our vehicles is resistive.

So don't expect capacitive smoothness and you should be happy. Also note that the Navigation maps are pretty weak if you are used to Google Maps.

Good feedback so far.And yeah I never expect OEM nav system maps to be all that great - they are what they are (I have had 3 or 4 by now all from different automakers - I'd have to say Acura's was the best too bad that company just ruined itself with its styling).

If I need the absolutely best map I just whip up Google map on the phone.

Good feedback so far.And yeah I never expect OEM nav system maps to be all that great - they are what they are (I have had 3 or 4 by now all from different automakers - I'd have to say Acura's was the best too bad that company just ruined itself with its styling).

With that attitude you will easily enjoy all the pluses of this car without letting the little things get in the way.

It's a great vehicle.

I'm an IT guy also and I can tell you that I've tested many Beta apps that were more polished than this Touch. I hope the rumors of a new version are correct!

I've been drivin' mine since September and have had a several issues with the Touch system.

While your test drive seemed to be OK, the real test comes after a few days of use. My Touch system has a habit of getting confused after a while (that's why they built in the reboot feature).

When I start the car, the audio source is selected by some random algorithm. Sometime it surprises me and starts playing the BT Audio only to be disappointed with it switching to FM!

During a recent road trip, the system rebooted several times while trying to change waypoints on the nav system. Oh and the Nav seemed to work OK most of the time. It was strange how periodically it would show me a couple of miles off of the interstate I was on.

The Backup camera works great as well as the BLIS feature. I can't live without it now.

• Like 1

I'm an IT guy also and I can tell you that I've tested many Beta apps that were more polished than this Touch. I hope the rumors of a new version are correct!

I've been drivin' mine since September and have had a several issues with the Touch system.

While your test drive seemed to be OK, the real test comes after a few days of use. My Touch system has a habit of getting confused after a while (that's why they built in the reboot feature).

When I start the car, the audio source is selected by some random algorithm. Sometime it surprises me and starts playing the BT Audio only to be disappointed with it switching to FM!

During a recent road trip, the system rebooted several times while trying to change waypoints on the nav system. Oh and the Nav seemed to work OK most of the time. It was strange how periodically it would show me a couple of miles off of the interstate I was on.

The Backup camera works great as well as the BLIS feature. I can't live without it now.

So, would you buy the car again knowing what you know know?

Yes, most of the early problems were improved with the 2.8 upgrade and I have had only minor problems in the last 3 months. The car drives great and handles well too. Pretty large inside as well. Waiting for the Fall Sync upgrade.

So, would you buy the car again knowing what you know know?

I would buy the car again but not the 2011 model

I must admit that I would not have considered a Ford Edge normally but I had a drink of Ford's kool-aid after the 2010 auto shows. Ford managed to sell me on what they had hoped would be functional for the 2011 model year. Who would have thought Ford would have released the Touch system before it's time. I sure didn't. I assumed Ford had their shit together more that they do.

From the rumors I've seen here, I don't think they will have it right until the 2013 model year!

• Like 1

I'm an IT guy, so I am probably a little more I'll say patient regarding of the importance of software updates, bug fixes, etc. and I'm also willing to deal with a few minor hiccups here or there as long as I know it will be resolved.

For me, being an IT guy actually makes the MFT problems worse because I know the reasons we're in this situation to start with. Ford was probably trying to cut costs and/or bring it to market too quickly so they contracted the work out to BSQUARE, who does what every software vendor that I've ever worked with does, and makes a mess of the whole thing.

The other thing that kills me is the complete lack of communication. If some project I'm working on has a lot of problems, the last thing I do is keep my customers in the dark about it. They want to know exactly what the issues are, what's being done to fix them, and when it will be completed. The only way I find out about any sort of MFT updates is by coming to this forum and reading about what others have been getting installed. My dealer has no clue about what or when updates come out and the syncmyride.com website has been absolutely worthless.

I'd also like to be able to use all of this system's features, like the wifi hotspot, but at this point I just want my damn phone to work as it's supposed to. I've been on v2.8 for a few months now and although it is better than what I started with, it still has a LONG way to go. My most annoying day to day issue is the phone either not connecting or when it does, it doesn't always transfer the audio to the speakers during a call. So I'll call someone or answer a call and it's a 50/50 chance as to whether I'll have to fumble around and dig my phone out of my pocket or if it will come through the speakers. And it's all random - there's no rhyme or reason for when it works and when it doesn't. I know it's not my phone because right after the system crashes and resets itself (every 2-3 weeks), the phone connection will work perfectly for a few days and then go right back to intermittently working / not working.

Anyway, as you've read, I like the vehicle otherwise but I'm starting to get very frustrated with paying as much money as I did and then being left in the dark about when or if these issues will be fixed.

The other thing that kills me is the complete lack of communication.

That's a very valid point. Given how much Ford has committed to this, rolling it into all their new models, they clearly need to step up and put out something acknowledging the issues and confirming their corporate commitment to fixing it. In other words this isn't an Edge issue, it is across their entire product line. They clearly made a lot of mistakes, and hopefully they learn from that but the first step in that is to admit it.

It's funny at the local dealership the other day I mentioned how many issues there are with MFT, and the salespeople of course acted like I was making it up. The eventually admitted that 'one or two of the very first people' that bought one had to bring it in for updates. Because of forums like this, we know what really is going on and obviously Ford knows, so it does sound like they need to step up.

I think the reason why I'm 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger, is that it seems like a general consensus everyone likes or even loves the car itself. The fact that the MFT issues are software and not the underlying technology or hardware, means it is fixable and should continue to get better with each release. That doesn't mean I want to take it in 4x in the first 3 months, but I'm willing to take it in one or two times the first year to get some updates. I'm hoping if I buy now I'm going to miss most of the growing pains that you all went through since the fall. I'm saying this under the assumption that the system will work w/ my iPhone and be more stable than what your experience has been. Also, I'm not trying to make light of the issues but I'd rather have problems with some of the technology features than say a major safety related issue or an engine problem that will leave me on the side of the road.

I do wish I could do my own updates though, I'd rather do it myself than a dealer tech but that's just me, or even better the updates should get pushed out automatically like phones have worked for 5+ years.

I'm like carrie above. Have had my edge since early last october and love it. I currently have 15600 miles on it. (I drive a lot for work) I have not updated anything in it, matter of fact, haven't done anything, not even an oil change yet. System says I still have 20% oil life left.

I use the NAV all the time to find client locations, I use google maps to send it to my car, hop in, connect to services and viola, my destination is downloaded. I use the system to find places to eat, car washes, even shopping areas.

The touch system will occassionally reboot itself, but no worse than the average computer. The voice activated system isn't perfect. I admit I once tried to tell it to f*** off, it responded it did not understand:)

Once in a while when in reverse, the backup camera doesn't come on. Again, not a really big deal to me, unless it begins to happen all the time.

I love the way the car drives, the way it looks, how comfortable it is. Only minor complaint is that the headrests are not good if I have a ponytail in my hair, because then my ponytail rubs too much on the headrest.

I would buy again. The software can be fixed and I'm sure that it will be.

• Like 1

I'm like carrie above. Have had my edge since early last october and love it. I currently have 15600 miles on it. (I drive a lot for work) I have not updated anything in it, matter of fact, haven't done anything, not even an oil change yet. System says I still have 20% oil life left.

I use the NAV all the time to find client locations, I use google maps to send it to my car, hop in, connect to services and viola, my destination is downloaded. I use the system to find places to eat, car washes, even shopping areas.

The touch system will occassionally reboot itself, but no worse than the average computer. The voice activated system isn't perfect. I admit I once tried to tell it to f*** off, it responded it did not understand:)

Once in a while when in reverse, the backup camera doesn't come on. Again, not a really big deal to me, unless it begins to happen all the time.

I love the way the car drives, the way it looks, how comfortable it is. Only minor complaint is that the headrests are not good if I have a ponytail in my hair, because then my ponytail rubs too much on the headrest.

I would buy again. The software can be fixed and I'm sure that it will be.

Way past due for an oil change. Read the owners manual

I finally just cut my hair off - no more pony tail to deal with! That was my only major complaint too. :)

I thought the owner's manual said to change the oil when the vehicle says to change the oil.

Before 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. I think 10,000 miles is stretching it.

Cheap insurance for your engine would be to change it every 5,000 miles. I have the dealer do it for 34.00

Before 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. I think 10,000 miles is stretching it.

Cheap insurance for your engine would be to change it every 5,000 miles. I have the dealer do it for 34.00

To be fair it does say to go by the monitor but it says the monitor should not go beyond 1 year or 10K miles. 10K miles should be no problem depending on operating circumstances, but I agree 15K is pushing it.

I thought the owner's manual said to change the oil when the vehicle says to change the oil.

It would be interesting to do some used oil analyses and see how closely they match up with the % oil life number.

I'm not sure what kind of oil it's filled with from the factory, but a quality synthetic can easily go 15k miles between changes.

It would be interesting to do some used oil analyses and see how closely they match up with the % oil life number.

I'm not sure what kind of oil it's filled with from the factory, but a quality synthetic can easily go 15k miles between changes.

Pretty sure its a blended oil. That is whats used when I get it changed at the dealer

Pretty sure its a blended oil. That is whats used when I get it changed at the dealer

Synthetic blend 5W-20 Motorcraft. Under the right conditions it could easily last 15K miles. But it could also only last 5K under the wrong circumstances.

The Edge computer calculates cold starts, temp, RPM, etc. to determine the right time to change it. It doesn't actually sample the oil like more expensive systems.

Synthetic blend 5W-20 Motorcraft. Under the right conditions it could easily last 15K miles. But it could also only last 5K under the wrong circumstances.

The Edge computer calculates cold starts, temp, RPM, etc. to determine the right time to change it. It doesn't actually sample the oil like more expensive systems.

That's assuming that nobody reset the oil life indicator at some point without changing the oil.