Tinted Head/Tailights

jwallace410

Well this weekend i got in the tint I ordered from eBay for the head n tailights. It was actually a film rather than the reg paint most use. I was having bad luck with the power inverter n heat gun I had so I had to install all the tint with a Squeegee and a freakin BIC. Headlights went on no problem but the Taillights were a pain because of the curve. Im going to have to take em of and man up and get em painted. Plus just got the new Grille for the edge which will be hitting the body shop this week. Blacking out the grill and possibly buying the Sport Front End but we'll see. Will post pics after the grille is installed.

Has anyone used those ford emblem overlays? I wanted to black out the backround on the ford emblem but still have the chrome lettering.

post-17679-0-03996300-1315818300_thumb.jpg

post-17679-0-70820800-1315818314_thumb.jpg

post-17679-0-91045600-1315818326_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well this weekend i got in the tint I ordered from eBay for the head n tailights. It was actually a film rather than the reg paint most use. I was having bad luck with the power inverter n heat gun I had so I had to install all the tint with a Squeegee and a freakin BIC. Headlights went on no problem but the Taillights were a pain because of the curve. Im going to have to take em of and man up and get em painted. Plus just got the new Grille for the edge which will be hitting the body shop this week. Blacking out the grill and possibly buying the Sport Front End but we'll see. Will post pics after the grille is installed.

Has anyone used those ford emblem overlays? I wanted to black out the backround on the ford emblem but still have the chrome lettering.

Did I see you asking about the HID temp? You were wanting to go with a brighter headlight bulb?

I don't understand the logic.

You tint the headlights lenses then you have to find brighter HIDs.....

Why tint in the first place??

I would rather my headlights and taillights be at full power

No, i wasnt looking up information or going with a brighter bulb because i put tint on my headlights and taillights. And actually with the lights on you cannot tell that the lights are tinted because it isnt that dark. Gotta love how people are so quick to bust your balls when you dont know as much as the next guy. Know it all's so quick to criticize instead of lending their knowledge. Thanks for the comments.

No, i wasnt looking up information or going with a brighter bulb because i put tint on my headlights and taillights. And actually with the lights on you cannot tell that the lights are tinted because it isnt that dark. Gotta love how people are so quick to bust your balls when you dont know as much as the next guy. Know it all's so quick to criticize instead of lending their knowledge. Thanks for the comments.

Sorry, This post had me thinking you were looking for brighter headlights

What temp is the lights on a 2011 Edge Limited with HID's? I want to get a brighter light but do I need to change out the ballasts along with the bulbs for a a brighter look or just the bulbs since my edge is already fitted with HID's?

I've seen cars with tinted lenses and I can tell that the intensity is effected.

Edited by wilsons66604

Reading this thread reminded me of many moons ago. I puchased a new Mustang GT back in 1987 and one of the 1st things I did was install smoked head and tail light covers. I think they where made by a company called GTS and you couldn't see a frickin thing when they were installed. Can't believe I never got a ticket!!! After all the covers were stolen for the 3rd time, I gave up. Todays mild blackout tints are a much better option but I need all the light I can get to spot the deer I'm about to hit. My preferred method for a venison dinner is the bow & arrow!

Hey man, I tried.

even explained my current knowledge of the HID setup in our cars versus the current industry trends. I even tried to defend your choice by saying a manufacturer has also compromised performance for the sake of design.

I certainly know that when I darkened my last headlights, I instantly went for the brighter bulb to compensate. I also dropped LEDs in my tail lights to increase the safety as they fire quicker. Nothing wrong with modding for looks and compensating.

(just read over this thread and noticed that my suggestions for bulb options must have been in the other thread you posted in: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/8190-quick-question-about-stock-hids/page__p__65436&do=findComment&comment=65436)

Edited by cal3thousand

Yesterday afternoon just after 4 pm I was behind a pickup truck that had tinted tail lights. I could barely see his brake lignts or turn signals. A potentially dangerous situation.

doesn't the tint reduce your illumination of your front and rear lights? On foggy days and heavy rain will you be able to see and be seen?

Agreed, while it looks nice, it reduces the visibility. Just last week I almost rear ended a guy in a Tahoe who had tinted his taillights...were so dark the brake lights looked like his running lights...I would have been very upset if my new MKX was damaged due to someone trying to look "cool". :angry:

Agreed, while it looks nice, it reduces the visibility. Just last week I almost rear ended a guy in a Tahoe who had tinted his taillights...were so dark the brake lights looked like his running lights...I would have been very upset if my new MKX was damaged due to someone trying to look "cool". :angry:

At least you'd have that bit of argument on your side, that his light were not to spec.

I didnt buy the roll of tint out of wlmart or anything. I belive the percentage was around 35-40%. I mean ythe lights are more clear than the stock tint on my rear windows. Maybe its the pics from my cel phone but in person they arent really that dark. I bought the tint of e-bay and they came pre-cut to the specific year n model. they offered darker but igot the lightest possible. I will post pics at night to show you.