Tire Pressure, What are you Running?

hunter306

This past holiday weekend, I wanted to try a little experiment since we were taking a good 500 mile drive.

Rather than run at the stock 35psi, I upped the pressure to 37.5psi for the trip. So far, I'm extremely pleased with the difference in the fuel economy.

My last 3 tanks are notably higher than I was doing at the stock pressure. As far as I can tell, the ride quality hasn't suffered much for the 2psi (it's a bit stiffer in real rough transitions - IE Parking lot to road) but overall for the better mileage I'm going to stick with it. Certainly no surprise here that the increased pressure is helping reduce the rolling resistance, but I wondered if anyone else had run them a bit high and what their thoughts were?

TPMS doesn't seem to mind either.

This past holiday weekend, I wanted to try a little experiment since we were taking a good 500 mile drive.

Rather than run at the stock 35psi, I upped the pressure to 37.5psi for the trip. So far, I'm extremely pleased with the difference in the fuel economy.

My last 3 tanks are notably higher than I was doing at the stock pressure. As far as I can tell, the ride quality hasn't suffered much for the 2psi (it's a bit stiffer in real rough transitions - IE Parking lot to road) but overall for the better mileage I'm going to stick with it. Certainly no surprise here that the increased pressure is helping reduce the rolling resistance, but I wondered if anyone else had run them a bit high and what their thoughts were?

TPMS doesn't seem to mind either.

I run 38. 2.5 PSI should not dramatically affect fuel economy. If you want to be sure go back to 35 for a tank or two.

31-32 psi cuz the roads here in Michigan have to be some of the worst in the entire country. A little lower psi smooths her out a little and does not seem to effect mpg on the idiot gauge. I've been getting 26-28 on the highway and 22-24 mixed in my 2011 SEL FWD. I do use a few of Hypermiling tricks and they really do work.

31-32 psi cuz the roads here in Michigan have to be some of the worst in the entire country. A little lower psi smooths her out a little and does not seem to effect mpg on the idiot gauge. I've been getting 26-28 on the highway and 22-24 mixed in my 2011 SEL FWD. I do use a few of Hypermiling tricks and they really do work.

Can you explain your Hypermiling tricks?

Can you explain your Hypermiling tricks?

There's lots of info on the net about hypermiling. Some of the tips are pretty good and some are ridiculous. I really just use common sense to increase mpg. The best way is to pay attention to what's going on around you and what your right foot is doing with the gas pedal at all times. Having an instantaneous mpg readout can really help drivers learn how to get better mpg. I kinda treat it like a game. The higher I can get that average mpg readout, the better I'm playing. No need to get carried away and become a danger to other drivers but most could really improve their octane usage by changing a few driving habits.

Good to hear others chime in.

I'm in Michigan as well, though I don't do much commuting- so I've been able to avoid most of our terrible infrastructure. I may up the PSI to 38.5 and see how that does out on the road.

I agree on the instant 'MPG' readout, I have been conscious of it since I bought the truck and it's been a great way to retrain some bad habits. I finally saw it hit 27.1mpg on the freeway coming home this past weekend =)

• 3 weeks later...