20" Chrome Clad Wheels

SharkDiver

Ouch. And I've had 7 sets of wheels done so far in black chrome PVD.

Cal, let me guess... $3100?

Shop is taking her apart and coming up with a quote. The trailing arm is all bent up and I suspect some other pieces because it looks like the opposite side's camber was affected. It was a pretty violent hit since I don't think Audi S4 rims explode that easily.

Probably more than $3100. The whole rear bumper cover is jacked as well. I'm thinking over $7500.

Edited by cal3thousand

Shop is taking her apart and coming up with a quote. The trailing arm is all bent up and I suspect some other pieces because it looks like the opposite side's camber was affected. It was a pretty violent hit since I don't think Audi S4 rims explode that easily.

Probably more than $3100. The whole rear bumper cover is jacked as well. I'm thinking over $7500.

Wow that sucks,

Hope everyone is okay!

Wow that sucks,

Hope everyone is okay!

Thanks. Everyone is ok, maybe some soreness but that should go away. (hopefully)

I just got a call from the Collision center.

Parts = $3700 which includes paint, and replacing everything on the affected corner as well as replacing the cross member

Total = $8400

Target date for completion Dec 12, 2011.

Thule K-Summit

Thanks, but OMG.... $450-$500 a pair! I guess I didn't mention that I live in California and travel through snow only a couple of times a year. And even then, chains are not always required. I do like the Thule K-Summit though. Looks so easy to put on! But will the wheels be safe from damage, or will I need to find a way to protect them?

Anyone ever check out chain alternatives like these: http://www.flextrax.com/default.htm ? These are under $200 a pair.

Or maybe Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ435, Cable Chain for Pickups & SUVs? Only ~ $100 and a lot easier to justify for occasional use.

~SAC

If it's that occasional, just stay home until the roads clear. :)

Here in Atlanta, the whole city is paralyzed if you even say the "S-word." Grocery stores sell out of bread, eggs, and milk almost instantly. I guess Atlantans eat more french toast than I ever realized.

Funny you should say that. I just went to Kroger and they were sold out of the most popular bread brands. Then I remembered the S-word being used (only flurries) and I figured I would be SOL by the time I got to the milk cooler. But it was just the bread - milk and eggs were fine.

If it's that occasional, just stay home until the roads clear. :)

Here in Atlanta, the whole city is paralyzed if you even say the "S-word." Grocery stores sell out of bread, eggs, and milk almost instantly. I guess Atlantans eat more french toast than I ever realized.

lol, I am a warm weather lover more so than the snow, but I promised my girlfriend that I would take her to Yosemite for Christmas. There, the Park Rangers insist that it is mandatory that chains be in your possession, even if you have a 4x4 and snow tires. Hah, I was thinking well then, I'll just have an empty box and flash that to the rangers, but then it would be just my luck that they make me show them the chains... or put them on.

At least when I go to Lake Tahoe, you can get away with chains if you have 4x4, all wheel drive or snow tires.

• 3 years later...

I know this is old post. But this can help some

Boy there are some interesting (dumb) comments regarding snow on these forums. California requires chains/cables to drive in any mountains that have snow or ice conditions. Don't waste your money buying snow tires for a once a year trip, especially considering they will still make you put chains/cables on under bad conditions even with snow tires. May sound unbeilavble to many other parts of the country, but its true. Hell I'm from Chicago where chains are illegal and we just learned how to drive thru it all, but Cali is different so here is the fix.

You can use SCC Super Z6 SZ435 or the Z-575 cables with no problems. There is plenty of clearance to fit them and the Z-575 don't touch the wheel if you're worried about scratching the wheels. I've driven a few hundred miles in Big Bear with them this season, and they work great with no problems.

Before anyone wants to bash me for using them, if you don't know they are required to even go up the mountain when anysnow or ice is present. Put them on the front by the way.

• 1 month later...

All,

I just bought a new 2011 AWD Edge Limited with the "shinny" chrome 20" wheels. I didn't realize until I was washing it that they are plastic caps!! It sounds like I wasn't the only onewho didn't notice this at the dealer but whatever.... After looking closer, it looks like they are painted silver and clear coated under the plastic caps. I didn't want to pull back any harder with worries of breaking the plastic but, does anyone know what is actually under the plastic?? Also, how do you get the plastic covers off? They must be replacable because you can buy them seperately for around $200 for all four. Do they snap on, glued, what....??? There might be a pretty cool looking aluminum wheel under there. Or at least, one that can be powder coated...........

Thanks!!

I uninstalled these caps and now my wheels without them. These are the forged wheels of silver color. Caps were pasted on sealant of white color. I will show images later if there is an interest.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I come back to a subject of disks 20" with chromic caps, I removed them because the master who removed tires with summer on the winter was stunned and scared such design, he was afraid to break the edge of plastic at analysis of a disk and all the time whispered:" as it can be done without breaking" (the machine the taking edge of a tire leans on edge of a disk and can break plastic). I did fascinating hour tearing off plastic caps that they would remain are serviceable, but now I ask:" it is good, I understand these tires all-weather, you don't change them as, I, it is clear but how you sort them when they need to be repaired, you take off a plastic cap? How it occurs? in the operation manual, I read, what there is a special solvent which dissolves silicone on which the plastic disk is attached? It is right? or there are other ways and machines which don't break plasticity?

post-16857-0-91272100-1447510966_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-17421900-1447510977_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-20682000-1447510987_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-30404500-1447510996_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-51879100-1447511008_thumb.jpg

Edited by EDST777

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...