Major Upgrade (Rewrite) Details

He he,

I like the announcement about the performance upgrade and I hope I can download it from syncmyride.com. Btw I have a question regarding the SD card. My 2011 Sport has the navigation system installed but it came without a SD card. Currently I am not able to enter the navigation menu or use the compass. In 2012 MFT will be launched in Europe. Does anyone know if Ford will offer a SD card for Europe?

I remember seeing both Navteq and Telenav mentioned at the same time in one of the press releases but I don't know which one is doing which. But it sounded like both were involved.

That would be strange if Navteq was involved. I have another older Garmin with 3 year old maps from Navteq on the device and they were way more up to date than the maps on the Edge system.

That would be strange if Navteq was involved. I have another older Garmin with 3 year old maps from Navteq on the device and they were way more up to date than the maps on the Edge system.

Navteq provides the raw map data. Telenav packages it (ex: GUI). That's what the Edge had, has and apparently will continue to have. That does not mean every package contains the latest data; as some of you have mentioned, othe "packagers" may use more recent maps.

Navteq provides the raw map data. Telenav packages it (ex: GUI). That's what the Edge had, has and apparently will continue to have. That does not mean every package contains the latest data; as some of you have mentioned, othe "packagers" may use more recent maps.

If that's the case, Navteq must have provided them with some awfully old map data. I have had navteq maps since 2007 and some of the map data on the Edge Nav is as old as my 2007 map, or at least for my area.

If that's the case, Navteq must have provided them with some awfully old map data. I have had navteq maps since 2007 and some of the map data on the Edge Nav is as old as my 2007 map, or at least for my area.

I would hope not but things in the OEM auto world do seem to take a long time. The CPU they are using was released in 2007 so maybe this whole thing was started back then and that is the data they had available at the time. I know there is a date on the SD card indicating 2010 but maybe that is just when Telenav completed the data pack???

The more I read about the update the more excited I get....I just really hope I don't get let down.

I would hope not but things in the OEM auto world do seem to take a long time. The CPU they are using was released in 2007 so maybe this whole thing was started back then and that is the data they had available at the time. I know there is a date on the SD card indicating 2010 but maybe that is just when Telenav completed the data pack???

The more I read about the update the more excited I get....I just really hope I don't get let down.

I checked my maps from Navteq on my old Garmin 660, bought in 2006/2007 & the 2010 version maps + updates for that year, for my area they have more up to date maps than on my Ford Edge. Sounds like I am complaining about the Edge but actually almost a year into ownership and running 2.7 I really love the car. None of the irritating issues that others have encountered (minor issue with the clock/gps sync). But I have kicked my butt many times over ordering the Nav. system.

Do you think the new update will include any fixes for us Canadians and being able to use sync services and apps?

The short answer is No! The long answer is "I Wish". Regulations sometimes get in the way of the "I Wish" part of the answer. My new Garmin has lifetime maps and traffic, so I am set for driving around DC and Fairfax VA.

I would love to be able to maximize myfordtouch and have those services, but I have to say I still love my edge regardless. I've been lucky and have never had a problem with mft yet. I have the SEL AWD with some options. Basically I have everything but leather and sunroof. I feel like I am driving a high end,luxury car everyday! It's so quiet and smooth!

The only issue I've had with mft is not being able to load the browse feature for sirius radio. It just hangs trying to load. I hope this fix helps that. I love technology and can't wait to see the changes!

Did anyone else notice that the pictures of the HVAC screens show that the heated seats are three stage rather than the current two stage?

Here is an image of the new screen

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/MyFordTClimateScreen.pdf

I also noticed the "Added a power button to the rear climate element"

Is this just a Lincoln feature?

Edited by wilsons66604

This is the pic I saw showing the three stages though it does show cooled seats so maybe this is a Lincoln only feature?

I did find this video of the new interface. I don't have speakers at work but the speed does seem like a big improvement.

Interesting...One of the things that the reviewer mentions a couple of times is that the re-write makes much better use of hardware acceleration so the CPU isn't necessarily doing all the work.

He also says that when the system is turned off, everything goes into suspend mode so it doesn't have to be warm booted when the car is started (right now the Nav is cold booted on startup contributing to the long load times).