WHY IS MY MPG SO LOW!

mlbfreaks2765

I have a 2011 Edge SEL FWD and it now has about 7200 miles on it. When I first drove it on an interstate highway at around 100 miles it got 28 mpg. Now on the interstate highway I average 21 if i'm lucky. I drive at a steady 75-80 mph. I'm considering getting a Thule crossroad system and a ski box and am really afraid of the MPG I'll get then.

Thanks

its low cause of the speed your driving..........

Yes, speed makes a big difference! I got as high as 37mpg (CDN), or 30.8mpg (US) driving at 60mph on smooth level highways.

Try it and see if it makes a difference.

Also currently getting 17mpg (US), city, winter driving. Difficult to drive like an old lady when this thing just screams to open it up!

Real world (average driving) would probably amount to 25mph hywy and half that in the city, if you're lucky.

Oh, btw, I also have a 2011 SEL FWD with about 3000 miles on it.

Edited by Vinnyfast

Both mentioned above will affect your mileage. Going from 60-65 to 65-80 will make a significant impact as will winter gas. The blend is different and usually results in 1-2mpg lower not to mention the cold air = increased HP = slightly lower mileage. I'm guessing once spring breaks and you travel closer to 65 you'll see around 24-26mpg highway.

• 2 weeks later...

I may drive a little fast. :) But, that is just upsetting to me because at the same speeds, my 2000 Town Car gets around 22 MPG and my 1993 Corvette gets near 22. (Yes, a Corvette)

I could also be just used to 32 MPG while doing hard takeoffs with the 2009 Acura TSX I had before this.

Another point I have is that I tried 60 MPH and got 20.3 and 80 MPH was 20.1.

Edited by mlbfreaks2765

• 1 month later...

The posted drag coefficient for a edge is 0.37 and for a truck that’s not too bad, I believe that for cars it’s something around 0.2 something.

I have a 2011 w/3.5L V6 , and a 2005 Cadi. with a 450 V8 north star engine and they both get around the same MPG ,17 in town and 27 on the road. Now, looking at it from a dumb old country boys view point. The way I see it, if you get a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the air dam to the top of the hood, and widest point on the leading edge of each fender, and to the math you get something 15 to 16 square feet. Now look at the profile of the front end and again from the top looking down, you will notice that there is very little aerodynamics. Its like pushing the air out from in front of you with a barn door, and the faster you go the bigger the door gets.

The area front end of the Cadi. Is less then half of the Edge and weighs as much if not more then the Edge.

One other thing look at the size of the wheel wells, they are sized for the tires of 22” wheels, if you are using the smaller 18” wheeled tires, the wheel wells act like air brakes

Similar to the ones on aircraft. Every thing you do in life is a trade off, .

• 4 weeks later...

I just got 11 Limited AWD. I knew the milage wouldn't be good because we had an 07 SEL AWD a few years back. I bought it for the comfort I've been missing. I love these rides. I've checked with some tunners, Steeda, Blow by Racing and have been told they are currently working on tunes with CAI for the 11-12 Edge. I want that when it comes out because every set-up I did on my Stangs & Lightning, not only gained performance. They all got better MPG's with CAI & tune. Time will tell.

SPG= Smiles Per Gallons.....priceless!

• 1 year later...