Water Leak! Help!

built2prfctn

Hey Folks,

Had the Edge in yesteday ... Pissed - SA tells me the the TSB is currently 'incomplete' - which says to me 'we have an idea there is a problem, but do not know thing one on how to correct it.' The tech applied some goo in the A piller seams, where the defect(s) is supposed to be according to the TSB. Just for fun, as I suspected, the electronics are now acting up. Front camera requires service, BLIS requires service, lift gate will not operate ... rear window defogger works slower than the second comming of Christ ... Not to mentions having to get the trusty shop vac out every freaking day to hoover the soggy carpets,

Might put this puppy on e-bay to the highest bidder, or gas and a match ....

That sound like my 2nd VIN. the 1st leaked and my 2nd had all of the same problems as yours. the Techs thru everything but the kitchen sink at it, a new gateway module and other body control items. long story shot after 2 weeks the deal gave me the 3rd

VIN and so far no leaks or elctronic problems. if you VIN last 5 is close to 19358 then you might be in the same batch of issues. hope the dealer takes care of you. good luck

• Like 1

Hey Ford Fam,

For those that do not know me, my name is Tricia. I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative on this forum. I’m here to lend a hand! Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, if your vehicle is experiencing the same symptom described in this thread.

I’ll also be here to assist with tracking the status of your orders. Don't forget to PM me the VIN or the dealer code and order number. I'll gladly take a peek, and provide the latest status! :)

If you live in Canada, please PM the same information to my FordServiceCA colleagues, here.They’ll be happy to assist with your concerns and track your orders as well! :victory:

Tricia

• Like 1

Hey Ford Fam,

For those that do not know me, my name is Tricia. I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative on this forum. I’m here to lend a hand! Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, if your vehicle is experiencing the same symptom described in this thread....

Hey Tricia,

You've been a great help since joining this forum, as I'm sure everyone would acknowledge.

I recently saw Outstanding Field Service Action "15B21 - A-PILLAR WATER LEAK INSPECTION AND REPAIR" against my VIN. Although my Edge has spent some nights in the rain, it seems pretty dry still.

What would be great is if you could post more information on this issue. As you've noticed, the topic is getting more and more anxious posts, some reporting subsequent electronic failures.

Personally, I would like to know what is involved with the "A-pillar water leak inspection and repair":

1- what parts need to be removed for servicing this FSA (I dread rattles afterward)

2- where precisely would the moisture appear

3- what exactly is the 'repair' (just plugging the leak or also verifying potentially impacted electronic/electric parts as well as completely drying the wet area?).

It seems the forums is the only place you'll find such talk of it given the amount on the road, the amount affected, and the amount of people who use forums.

Someone should shoot a few emails off to auto industry blogs. Ford would LOVE that LOL.

As for them telling them not to sell....no way in hell. If it isn't a safety issue, Ford nor the dealers care. They want that sale ASAP to boost their numbers. That is the shady thing about it all. Of course Ford will fix the issue on the line ASAP, but ones that may have the issue on the dealer lot won't have a hold.

I was half tempted to forward this thread to Autoblog and Jalopnik. But then I decided against it as this issue isn't a longstanding issue that Ford has ignored. We have to give them a little time to rectify the issue before becoming a whistle blower and causing Ford bad press for something that they are actually trying to rectify. Some of the problems members are reporting are worse than what I remember seeing on the other enthusiast forum I am for my car, but we have to give Ford a chance to make it right with those affected by these issues.

That sound like my 2nd VIN. the 1st leaked and my 2nd had all of the same problems as yours. the Techs thru everything but the kitchen sink at it, a new gateway module and other body control items. long story shot after 2 weeks the deal gave me the 3rd

VIN and so far no leaks or elctronic problems. if you VIN last 5 is close to 19358 then you might be in the same batch of issues. hope the dealer takes care of you. good luck

Hey Losthawaiian,

My understanding is if your current Edge was built after 4/28/2015, you are good. Seems they figured out what the issue that was causing the Great Lakes Watershed to form inside your vehicle. You can go to Ford ETIS website, and under the tab Vehicle, plug your VIN into the 'VIN Entry' field, and the site will check if there are any outstanding issue with your Edge. URL for the site is https://www.etis.ford.com/.

Hopefully third time is a charm for you.

Cheers!

Is there a way to test the leak defect ?

I will inspect and road test the edge before signing. I could go to a car wash

Hey Etenne,

If you can get the Edge's VIN, go to Ford ETIS site, https://www.etis.ford.com/home.do and enter the VIN under Vehicle Tab. If the production date is after 4/28/2015, the vehicle should be free from the defect. Best of Luck to You !!!!

Cleaning the edge today and realize the mats are in a half inch of water. I don't know how I didn't realize sooner.

What do I do!?!? Called dealer I have to wait 2 weeks for a loaner. This is BS! I'm used to getting spoiled

at Infiniti.

Do we know where the leak is coming from?

I Have a 2015 Edge SEL AWD about six weeks into ownership my wife noticed the front carpet was soaking wet. The next day we dropped off the Edge at the dealership, and the Service Manager told us that they have a water leak guy that comes in on Wednesdays. I was signed up for a rental, and off we went. On Wednesday I called the service department and was told that my car was ready. We dropped off the rental and proceeded to Ford. When my Edge was turned over to me I checked the rugs and they were wet!!!. The manager told me their water guy welded the fire wall. and it should be fixed,, and he would try and get new carpets from Ford. I drove the the car home not happy with the results. The next day my wife called me at work and said the Edge is full of water in the front drivers and passengers side. Skipping forward dropped the Edge off and back to the rental car. The service manager told me that Ford is aware of this problem and will send them the parts to fix the Edge. I think its the A/C seals that drip water into the cabin. So Now it will take at least seven days to fix.

Edited by Edward Bunnicelli

Hi Edward - When was your Edge built?

I Have a 2015 Edge SEL AWD about six weeks into ownership my wife noticed the front carpet was soaking wet. The next day we dropped off the Edge at the dealership, and the Service Manager told us that they have a water leak guy that comes in on Wednesdays. I was signed up for a rental, and off we went. On Wednesday I called the service department and was told that my car was ready. We dropped off the rental and proceeded to Ford. When my Edge was turned over to me I checked the rugs and they were wet!!!. The manager told me their water guy welded the fire wall. and it should be fixed,, and he would try and get new carpets from Ford. I drove the the car home not happy with the results. The next day my wife called me at work and said the Edge is full of water in the front drivers and passengers side. Skipping forward dropped the Edge off and back to the rental car. The service manager told me that Ford is aware of this problem and will send them the parts to fix the Edge. I think its the A/C seals that drip water into the cabin. So Now it will take at least seven days to fix.

Got my new 2015 Ford Edge Titanium May 26th. Found out there is a serious leak that has soaked the driver's side carpeting and insulation. Have vacuumed the water out on a couple of occasions . Called my dealer and have a service apt., soonest available, Monday the 22nd of June. My questions are: Am I entitled to a rental vehicle and will Ford replace the carpet and insulation? There is nothing worse than the smell of previously soaked carpet, mold and mildew. Is Ford of Canada handling the problem the same as Ford in the US?

Hey Edgy43,

Mine has been at the Dealers since Monday. I kicked up a fuss and told them I do not want it back until it FIXED or REPLACED. Ford of Canada told the Dealer to get me a rental. I am driving one of their buzz bomb loaners for now. Ford of Canada would insisted that the rental is a Ford product. I retorted that it does not matter which brand as long as it does not leak !!! They did not find that very amusing. I told them, that for my next trick maybe the next payment could leak out of my bank ....

Insist that they change out the carpets, check all the electronics and take it through a car wash or two to ensure that no more water will leak into the cabin.

Good Luck !!!

If you look at FSA 15B21, if the carpets are found to be wet, Ford service must replace them.

15B21 is the US version of the FSA. On Monday, my dealer said Ford Canada had not yet issued details as to the repair steps, although Canadian dealers have been informed of the issue. Just called Ford Canada on this issue today: they claim letters are out to concerned 2015 Edge owners and that repair instructions were sent to dealer service departments; issue date was not known.

Good news, I think! Had a meeting this afternoon with the dealer principal. Showed him some information I had from the net re; the leaks and he was aware of the problem. My apt. to take my Edge in is Mon am. They have arranged a rental for me and have guaranteed the insulation under the carpet and carpet, if necessary, will be properly cleaned or replaced if cleaning is not deemed suitable to get rid of any odor. Hopefully, the fix will work!

• Like 1

I noticed that there is a date on the bottom of the window sticker...I had my dealer check the actual date of manufacture on one of his vehicles, as they can acquire this information very easily...we found as a general rule the sticker is generated approx 10 - 12 before the actual date of vehicle manufacture. If your dealer tells you any different...they are lying to you...find another dealer. I haven't had time to research the product/sealer specified for the fix.I hope like heck that ford will not be using an acetoxy type sealer, as this WILL cause vehicle rust in the A pillar section where it will be applied.

I'd really love to hear Fords' excuse for this one....Man oh man.

I noticed that there is a date on the bottom of the window sticker...I had my dealer check the actual date of manufacture on one of his vehicles, as they can acquire this information very easily...we found as a general rule the sticker is generated approx 10 - 12 before the actual date of vehicle manufacture. If your dealer tells you any different...they are lying to you...find another dealer. I haven't had time to research the product/sealer specified for the fix.I hope like heck that ford will not be using an acetoxy type sealer, as this WILL cause vehicle rust in the A pillar section where it will be applied.

I'd really love to hear Fords' excuse for this one....Man oh man.

Hey UltraBlue,

FSA 15B21 instructs dealers to use 3M #08367 or Lord Fusor #803EZ urethane sealants. Links for the MSDS sheets for both products.

My Edge is currently on its second visit to correct this.

Not impressed at all. Hope this helps ...

3M

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/880392O/tds-08362-08365-08367-08368-3mtm-urethane-seam-sealer.pdf

Lord Fusor

http://www.finishmaster.com/prod/assets/izj4gwyho6thgv6w1bmh.pdf