Help with 2012 Edge Sport HID's...

KingMike

Okay... So...

I have a very bad and annoying habit of ordering the wrong stuff... I do that a lot, unfortunately.... :bike:

Does anyone know an exact link that I can order the HID kit from for my 2012 Edge Sport? My thoughts are that if someone has ordered them in the past or is good with the HID kits, they can show me exactly what to buy so that I don't order the wrong thing.

Plus, this is the first car I've bought HID's for so I'm unsure as it is...

Thanks ahead of time for any help given :kiss:

I have a set of DDM Tuning HIDs in my 12 Sport. A lot of other forum members use them as well. Here's the link taking you directly to the lights. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W . Bulb type is the 9006/HB4. I originally bought the 55W, 6000K's, but found they were too bright and a bit too much blue in them. I was lucky enough to have a fellow forum member and a customer of mine, give me his 35W ballasts and bought a set of $15.00 35W DDM bulbs. I just ordered a set of 35W, 5000K's to give my 18 year old son for Christmas. They are a hell of a deal right now at $35.00 a kit. Be sure to also order the wire harness if you go withe 55W. They seem to have problems in the Edge if you don't use one. 35W's shouldn't need it.

I used to have a thread here on the forum with a video showing my complete install, but disaster struck when the forum administrators accidentally and perminently deleted every post and thread I had when my account was being changed over to an authorized advertiser account. I'll be creating a new thread of it again, but for now, I'll post it here:

Edited by kc300c
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for the help. I agree, I am looking for the bright white look, nothing TOO bright and I don't want any blue in them.

Okay for Wattage I put 35 Watt

Bulb Color 5000K

And waht for Bulb Type?

I am also looking into changing my headlights, would the HID kit work the same on any headlights that fit into the Edges or should I wait until I change them to see what I need?

Edited by KingMike

I'm confused, you want information on the HID kits, but you are also looking into changing your headlights. Isn't that one in the same thing?

You want the 9006 style bulbs (there is a single bulb for the high and low beam, as the Edge uses a magnetic shutter to switch between the two).

You have two options for clean, white light from HIDs. You can go with 4300K 35W bulbs or 55W 5000K bulbs. I am a fan of the 55W 5000K versions as they are SLIGHTLY (ever so) brighter and offer a more intense white light (the 35W version sits on the edge of warm white, while 55W sits on the edge of cool white).

I personally have converted everything over to the TRS Morimoto HID (a bit more $, but well worth it). http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3957. I had te DDM kits in for while but had some issues.

Keep in mind, the 55W will require a harness and the 35W does not (although some users have reported issues with 35W kits that a harness resolved).

Well at first I wanted a direct link to a HID kit that would fit the Ford Edge, and info for what I'd need to get a bright (not TOO bright) white look, no blue.

But after surfing this forum (after I posted this) I found someone with a very nice halo headlights with a red trim on the inside, perfect for my car, so now I want those haha. But I am still awaiting an answer from the user on info on where to get them and if they come with HID's.

Yeah, I figured.

kc I seen you did a lot of headlight talk, would you know where I could find some for the Edge? I keep finding OEM headlights

Also, I sent an email your email address. I get my emails on my phone so I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Edited by KingMike

yea i just installed a set of TRS Morimoto HID 35 watt 5000 with the canbus adapter and couldnt be happier . had the ddm tuning 35 watt with relay but it just didnt work right for me. although i must say the ddm tuning bulbs fitted better.

Edited by rls7

KingMike,

Good luck finding aftermarket anything specific to the Edge. The problem, (IMHO and no offense meant to anyone) is that the demographic spread for Edge owners is all over the board. Owner's range in age from 1st time drivers to retirees. And purely through my own windshield time, it appears the majority of Edge owners are over the age of 50 and women. These groups are not your big aftermarket prospective customers, so no demand means no supply.

The lack of aftermarket lighting products for the Edge was the whole reason I started my business.

Awesome job on this Dan! I just installed my Digital H.I.D. 55W 8000k kit from RetroSolutions.com with your major help from this detailed video. I also fabricated the same mounting brackets for the ballast's from the plumber's strapping and they came out pretty good. I was unsure of the bolts to use in the stock mounting locations so i tried some coarse threaded sheet metal screws and they worked just fine. Everything worked out great and the lights look amazing at night! Just enough blue tint in the beam, but not too much to attract the wrong attention. I hope to get some pics of the finished product up this weekend for you guys. Finally a $40K car with the RIGHT headlight H.I.D. output! Thanks FORD. :headspin:

Edited by FR200FOCUS

Congrats FR. The lights look great and glad that no little gremlins popped up like some folks on the forum have had. I agree with Edgie, definitely make surer beam cutoff is good. If you followed my video and used tape on the garage door to trace the beam spread before and after the install and the HID beam cutoff matches, then you're good to go.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, we got the stock headlight bulb out, got the dust cap all ready to go and then we notched one of the tabs on the HID bulb so it would go in identical to the stock bulb which we kept putting back in and taking out to see if we were doing it wrong. We then tried to get the HID bulb in there and it wouldn't fit. It was odd. I wasn't the one doing this, a friend of mine owns a garage and they've worked on basically all of my cars over the years and so the competence level is there. He must have tried for an hour to get it in, nothing, I mean we even switched out the colored rubber band on the neck of the bulb just in case it was a matter of clearance or thickness. I actually called Dingo on the phone and he told us to try 2 things, the way in which the bulb was being inserted and then the 9005 bulb instead of the notched 9006 we had been using, same thing, didn't even go in there. I had read about it on the forums before I purchased it so I know it works/fits as many others have it. It was just odd. Dingo made a good point to me though, did I try it myself, I didn't, which I think I should before I contemplate the next step.

Maybe there is someone in NJ who's done them so I can compare or get their help with it. Beyond that, not sure.

Edited by Manish R. Patel

Definitely give it a shot yourself. It's tight to work in there but the 9006 should work just fine. It only took me a few minutes a side to get my 9006 DDM's installed. I did not have to notch the base to get mine in. Might want to wipe each bulb down with alcohol before you install them. As Rob Schneider would say, "You can do it!!!!"

So all I need is the DDM $29.95 kit or the Morimoto kit for $150? Do I need any additional harnesses or anything? As for the Morimoto kit....do I need the heavy duty harness or the standalone can-bus? Is this all the same with the SEL trim?

i would get the harness. not sure about the ddms, i am not thrilled with mine, i plan on replacing them with the morimoto kit. but if you still decide on the ddm kit, get some sealant for close the hole you drill in the dust cap for the grouments, not sure what happened to mine, but i have moisture in one headlight and it is too cold to do anything about it. so here i sit, as it gets warmer it disappears, but as soon as it snows or is really cold, fogged light.

Edited by itoig

So all I need is the DDM $29.95 kit or the Morimoto kit for $150? Do I need any additional harnesses or anything? As for the Morimoto kit....do I need the heavy duty harness or the standalone can-bus? Is this all the same with the SEL trim?

You can go with either, but you have to ask if you want quality vs price. DDM will suffice, but some have had issues. DDM service is abysmal compared to TRS. TRS is a high quality, well supported kit. I have used DDM for well over 10 years with no issues, but as you can see in my sig, I haev since gone over to the morimotos.

You want the Relay harness (edge's do not need the can-bus harness, as the edge will not throw a bulb-out code when changed to HID). You really only need the harness if you select a 55W ballast, but it's not a bad idea to install either way (with a 35W).

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11795-hid-kits-ddm-tuning-or-morimoto/

Edited by candurin