3.5.1 Update tomorow. Advice opinions please

I having my 13 Escape with Nav updated to the latest version tomorow, how has this update gone for others?

I know mines an escape and this is for edge, but just trying to get a feel.

Also is there anything I should do to the system before dropong it off eith the dealer?

Thank You

Lenny

Edited by blockisle9

I don't use Bluetooth devices and I don't have Navigation in my MKX.

Ā 

That said, I have experienced no problems since self-updating to V3.5.1.

Ā 

I retain copies of all SYNC update files prior to installing them, but I'm unsure if my collection provides me any rollback opportunity.

Ā 

For my level of use, V3.5.1 has marvelously improved MyLincoln Touch.

Ā 

Good luck!

Not sure why Omar is telling everyone to do a master reset because there is no need. The only time you need to perform a master reset is if the update fails.

Ā 

Many people have done the update (themselves or at the dealer) and had random problems the next few days. A master reset fixes it. I agree it shouldn't be necessary but it works. Perhaps a simple reboot would also work.

After 3.5.1 Install: You will loose- The direct input of GPS ( The lat & Long) on page 2. It was removed. You will losse the text to speech ringer option- it is there but not functioning, you will loose the alpha/numeric keyboard for entering any wifi passwords

And YES- strongly reccomend the master reset before/after...as stated unusualy behavior has been noted but a mater rest seems to have helped.

The GPS not acquiring & then haveing you tracked off route- seems to be more prevelant in 3.5.1 based on the feedback

Edited by drpepper

Not sure why Omar is telling everyone to do a master reset because there is no need. The only time you need to perform a master reset is if the update fails.

Ā 

Here is a link to the TSB issued by Ford for the install/update to 3.5.1. Page 2 has the Vehicle Software Install instructions (Step 2) which states "Perform Sync Master Reset" and instructs how to do so.

Ā 

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1257774/tsb12-11-01.pdf

Ā 

There is no mention of doing another master reset after the install. It has been reported by some owners that a few unwanted oddities have occurred after the install. Another master reset done after the install seems to clear these bugs up, as pointed out in this discussion.

Installed mine today, along with the new A4 maps. Seems fine, and the new map does have some updates for my area that weren't on the previous A3.

Ā 

P.S. I did a Master Reset, both before and after, based on what I've read on this site - it's no biggie, takes only a couple minutes either way (and about 45min for the overall update). Like I said, seems fine.

Edited by Scorpio

Ugh! I should have left well enough alone! Only had the update 3 days and have had more problems in these 3 days than I had in 4 months with 3.2.2. And yes I did a master reset.

Ā 

Care to tell us what problems popped up after your recent update? Did you self install or was it done at the dealer? Just wondering about the bugs because other's have reported some.

The dealer did the update and swaped out the Nav card with the new one. I did a master reset before I dropped it off and after I picked it up.

Some stuff seems better, quicker touch touch screen, faster switching between audio sources.

The bugs so far. When hitting the voice button, long pauses between pushing the button and the chime to speak, and a delay in responding. The phone gets stuck on. (No radio and the volume control says adjusting phone volume) this is happening even though the phone it self is not connected. When ever i get in the car, the music sources changes from what it was on the last time, to either fm, satellite and USB. Some times using audio commands to change the climate tempature doesn't work. (She confirms the command, it just doesn't physically change the temperature).

Right now, none of that matters, the car just died and was towed to the dealer. Have to wait till Monday to see what happened. Hopefully they find something.

Is973800: If you're looking for comments about bugs with the new upgrade I'll pass this along in case you find it interesting....

Ā 

I did my own installation (with Nav and the A4 SD card) a week or so ago and was giving myself high 5's over a job well done. I hadn't seen this post so I didn't do the master reset before or after, and it wasn't mentioned in any of the instructions that I'd seen on the Ford website. My installation seemed to go fine, but after reading this thread I'm re-thinking a little quirk that I noticed that's similar to what blockisle9 mentioned above. After the 3.5.1 upgrade when I used the voice command to change the temperature, the system confirmed the command but didn't change the temp. This only happened once and I only requested a 1 degree change, so I chalked it off to something I must have done wrong. Then another time I used the voice command to change a Sirius station and the command was confirmed but the station didn't change.

Ā 

Yesterday when I started the car the screen blacked out on me and wouldn't respond to touch or voice commands so I had no radio or nav. I started to freak, but a couple of minutes later a message appeared saying something like "normal system maintenance is being performed" and a minute or two later the system powered back up with no further issues. It's funny because the same thing happened immediately prior to performing the 3.5.1 upgrade. I had just started the car to get ready to do the upgrade, and it black-screened BEFORE I had inserted the USB drive to start the upgrade sequence (so it occurred under the old software version). That was the first time I'd ever noticed the system maintenence message and black screen, and it's only happened twice now that I'm aware of (once under 3.2.2 and once under 3.5.1).

Ā 

I'm wondering if a master reset might help?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Edge in November, so I'm new to this. I have some questions about the "master reset". This sounds to me like a complete reset of all data which would wipe out nav favorites, phone quick dial entries, customized settings/views. Am I wrong here? If not, this sounds very strange.. I'm a computer guy, so it's sounding a bit like formatting a hard drive and re-installing Windows before and after installing a Service Pack or a patch...

Ā 

Can somebody clarify?

Ā 

Ian