Serious gas tank leak

Fullhouz

My Letter to the Ford Motor Company,.. If they really want to help the average hard working american, give us pre-approval for 0% financing through for credit, then maybe I can get back into the same Suv that I have. There incentive supplements help me in no way shape or form.

As a LOYAL Ford customer, who has purchased 3 Ford SUV's, with my most recent being my 2007 Ford Edge affected by your fuel tank recall 14S22, because of your faulty fuel tank, my Edge is being held at a dealership, due to the safety issues of leaking gas, sitting filthy with road salt and sand both on the paint and in my rims. I have called and called and called your company, spending countless hours trying to get some assistant but to no avail. I am told to call my dealership, and this would be why when the vehicle was built by you! I have case numbers upon case numbers, I get no answers and no help in regards to any of my questions and concerns. So in the meantime I have contacted and filed complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Federal Trade Commission, Your Company, I have called my state Attorney General, next I will contact the Better Business Bureau, a lawyer and my local news.

Your $2500.00 supplement towards ONLY a new FORD does nothing for me. I am $3800.00 upside down when it comes to trading this suv in. The only place to trade this suv in is at the dealership where it resides, because it can't be started or moved, So that limits me on looking around for the best purchase price on either a new or used suv,..., $1500.00 towards a leased FORD also does nothing for me, we live in the country and put on 22000 miles a year, I travel and hour one way to work,, we have our daughters after school activities, this is our main vehicle to go to town as a family in,to shop, go to the drs, to go out on family outings and rides. I think you get my drift.. Leasing a suv would cost me more money in the end in mile overage charges. So I thank you for keeping the average hard working american in mind when you decided on these useless incentives.

My 17 year old daughter just got her drivers learner permit, maybe you should come and explain to her why she can not drive and look at the disappointment in her eyes everyday, because the rental company will not let her touch their vehicle. She will be starting college in the fall. I will have to drive her back and forth because she is unable to get her hours in to go for her license, but then once again what do you care. It's not your problem, I don't want to hear one more of your representatives tell me this recall is not an inconvenience to me because you so graciously provided me with a brand new rental car, THIS IS A HUGE INCONVENIENCE to my family and I.

We have had nothing but trouble with this Edge, twice we had to replace the ABS sensors in a matter of a month, along with having to replace axle seals & wheel bearings. And now here we are with the faulty gas tank recall, faulty parts, faulty truck, faulty company!

In regards to my Edge, this is going to cost your company more money to keep me sitting and waiting for my Edge to be repaired than it would for you to help provide me with a real incentive that helps me to get into another suv not the BS ones that are of no use to me. The rental fee if this goes to Oct will be over $12000.00, I will not relinquish my rental until my Edge is gone over with a fine tune comb, any and all issues caused by my suv sitting for all these months will be covered by Ford Motor Company, no monies will come out of my pocket, I am documenting everything, the case numbers, updating every month photo's of my sitting Edge... So if the salt and dirt that is sitting on my Edge eats away at the paint, plan on paying to repaint it, if the salt sitting in my rims rusts out my rotors, or they freeze up from sitting, plan on replacing them as well, this car can not be started or moved for months,I could go on and on, I am frustrated, disgusted and so very disappointed, at this point, I will not recommend another Ford to anyone I know, everyone that I have told my story to, can not believe that this is how you take care of your customers. But again why would you care about helping me, I am only one dissatisfied customer out of the millions that sing your praises.

I would have liked to have said a big thank you for going above and beyond with your customer support and service........But all you will get from me,is a big thank you for doing absolutely nothing to help this once Loyal Ford Customer!!!

To add insult to injury I will go one further to tell you that the dealership is the one who provided my rental so they will get reimbursed the 55 dollars a day that ford is allowing to put me in this rental, and the moron sale rep that on the first day when I explained our finances and our location tried setting me up in a New Ford Edge lease, yeah he had my best interests in mind, he also was stupid enough to tell me that Ford will also be reimbursing them a small storage fee for storing my Edge, as you can see storing my Edge consists of sitting in their back lot in the condition it is in, The dealership certainly is not getting hurt by any means by not going the extra mile to help me.Not when they are getting the reimbursements for everything,

So many friends and family that I have talked with can not believe it, this is a rare situation as far as recalls go, not being able to get replacement parts until Oct of this year one representative said it could go all the way to Jan of 2016 , All car companies have recalls no vehicle is perfect but as i said in this rare situation they should be doing more, I can't tack on 3800.00 to an already overly expensive new Ford Edge at the MSRP price of 38,0000 or more,We can't afford a new car at that price and payment, I can't tack on 3800.00 to a used vehicle to be in the payment that we are comfortable with unless I look for a used suv with higher miles and then I will be in the same situation, paying way to much for a Suv that is worth nothing in the end. We do not live in Beverly Hills,we can't afford to take this kinda of beating, we are hard working people, every dollar counts especially in this economy. Even the dealership won't help us out more than a KBB fair trade value because they have to sit on this suv for months and can't make their money right back on it, it is ridiculous I call and go in every other day, I am sure by now that when they see me coming they must all run and huddle to flip a coin to see who has to deal with me, and I will continue to go and call until someone is either so tired of me and my nasal voice or until someone finally sees our situation for what it is and decides that the Ford Motor Company is in the wrong and is willing to go that extra mile to help us. This is far from over on my end, and I won't stop or shut up until Ford does right by us. By the time this is over I will be on Xanax for all the constant stress and anxiety that I am enduring and then they can also pay for my doctor bills and medication. I am not asking for something for nothing, I am asking for a little help and as far as I go as a customer, it would cost them a lot less money to help me than to keep me in this rental for 6-7 months, it would be a win win for both of us. I am sure not all of the Edge owners who have been affected by this recall are wanting out of their rentals, I am sure that some are even happy that since Nov of last year they are not accumulating any miles to their own vehicle or having to do maintenance, but my family has special circumstances, I do not want to be in a rental for months upon months, I want my daughter to be able to drive and get her hours in, so she can get her license, I don't want to have to ask family and friends to borrow a car so she is able to get this done, I shouldn't have to when I am paying over 300.00 a month for my own car. She will need her own car when she gets her license, I can tell you what I won't be purchasing for her........ A FORD!!!!!!!!!

Edited by XdaX67

So it's Ford's fault you're $3800 upside down on a 7+ yr old vehicle? If you had totaled it, you'd be in much worse shape with a $3800 balance and no assistance towards a new vehicle.

Ā 

You say you want 0%? Ford is already offering 0% financing for 72 months plus $1500 cash back on 2014 Edges. Add the $2500 and that's a pretty good deal on a new Edge. Or is the problem that your credit isn't good enough to get Ford financing?

Ā 

Can't afford a new Edge? Get an Escape or a Focus that's a lot cheaper.

Ā 

Or just take fair market value and go buy something used for the same price.

You've summed up a lot of people's frustrations in one swoop, XdaX67. The vehicle you get back (when you get it back) will not be in nearly the same condition as it was when you had to "turn it in" for the recall. Providing a rental does help to some degree, but it is certainly not acceptable fix when your vehicle is left out in the elements day after day. Now if appropriate storage and maintenance precautions are taken in the meanwhile, I would find that acceptable.

Ā 

I don't think you can press people on their credit situation, akirby, that is a hot potato IMHO. Could easily be through no fault of their own. The turbulent economy the last few years has put a lot of people practically on the street that normally wouldn't be. And try replacing a vehicle like the Edge which you bought for say, $18,000, for family use, and now have to replace with an Escape or Focus. Nobody deserves to be crammed in like sardines. Used car prices are also higher than they used to be due to the shortage created by the Cash for Clunkers program. So are people feeling squeezed? Mightily so.

• Like 1

Thank you WWWPerA_ZNOW for your support and understanding, and kind words.

You are correct Akirby when you state that my credit isn't good enough to get the Ford financing, like many other AMERICANS we fell on hard times, there was a lay off and we fell behind on bills and payments were made late, but they were made. We didn't ask anyone for help, we didn't apply for any government/state aid, we simply did the best we could at that time under our circumstances, I blame no one for my current credit status but myself thank you very much,so don't fault me for doing the best i could/can in this economy. I am just pointing out the fact that their meaning Fords current incentive supplement does not help every Edge owner!

I am not asking for something for nothing, I will gladly make payments as I have been on either a new or used suv, I would just like a little help to make that a little easier for me to get into something else, because once again their incentives are of no help to me.

Ā 

Ā 

So it's Ford's fault you're $3800 upside down on a 7+ yr old vehicle? If you had totaled it, you'd be in much worse shape with a $3800 balance and no assistance towards a new vehicle.

Ā 

You say you want 0%? Ford is already offering 0% financing for 72 months plus $1500 cash back on 2014 Edges. Add the $2500 and that's a pretty good deal on a new Edge. Or is the problem that your credit isn't good enough to get Ford financing?

Ā 

Can't afford a new Edge? Get an Escape or a Focus that's a lot cheaper.

Ā 

Or just take fair market value and go buy something used for the same price.

The only reason I mentioned it was because you asked for 0% financing from Ford which was already available.

Ā 

While I'm sympathetic to your situation I don't think it's reasonable to expect Ford to do any more than provide a free rental and offer fair market value plus $2500 additional rebates. It's not Ford's fault that you have bad credit and you're upside down on the vehicle. Like I said if the vehicle was totaled you'd be in a worse situation with no extended loaner and no assistance at all.

But my vehicle isn't totaled, it is being held in recall for a faulty tank for months, because there are no tanks available, certainly that isn't my fault.

No it isn't Fords fault that I put 22000 miles on a year which lowered my fair trade value, No it isn't Fords fault that my credit is not perfect, but it is Fords fault that I am in this situation, I can stay in my rental for months,, I would \like my own vehicle,so my daughter can get her hours in to get her license, my daughter worked very hard to graduate a year early from high school and get accepted into college for a pre-vet program, all while holding down a job,..so she will start college with me driving her back and forth, she was so excited to be able to get her license, it is sad to see her disappointment as a mother. I shouldn't have to beg to borrow someone else's car when I am paying good money every month for my own,.. I would think they would be happy to help someone in my situation, I would be saving them the cost of a hefty rental reimbursement. I am not asking for them to give me a new suv, I am not asking them to hand me anything, I am asking for help, Maybe if I could get a lower interest rate, I could get into another suv that is affordable for me, as my Edge is, I do not need a brand new suv. I would be happy with a used one with lower miles.

Ā 

The 2500.00 additional rebate does not apply to me,My dealership told me the 2500.00 goes towards a NEW Ford only, again how is that helping me to purchase a used suv, why should I have to go from an suv to a focus, because of a faulty part that is not available.

Ā 

I will agree to disagree with you, you have your opinion and I have mine, You seem more apt to put the blame on me and my not so perfect credit than to admit that Fords incentive, supplements, rebates only apply to certain owners, owners with good credit, because if they were equal, Ford would have given the 2500.00 to every Edge owner for a new or used vehicle, be it a Ford or another make, I get it, because I do not qualify for whatever reason, that is totally on me, I should take my fair market value and my loss, tack it on another overly priced high mile suv, and walk away with my tail between my legs.

I guess we will see how this all plays out, hopefully I am able to get in another suv,soon if not I will continue to document all my calls and case numbers, along with the many photo's of my Edge as it sits on the back parking lot of my local Ford dealership, with caked on salt and dirt on the paint and in the wheel-wells,(there was a huge snow storm the day before my truck went int for the recall, had I known there was a shortage of tanks and my Edge would be sitting there, it would have been taken threw a car wash) in the end if there are any issues with my Edge due to the long months of sitting, not being started or moved, I am sure that will also add to their costs of repairs, because I want my truck back in the same condition it arrived in, which is excellent used condition ( My Pickles Wagon is taken very well care of) and I won't accept anything less, I worked very hard to get it.

Ā 

I wish you all the best, as I hope you wish me! Have a great evening! :)

Edited by XdaX67

Thank you sweetie, I am sure it will all work out in the end, there are people out there in worse situations than having to wait on their car to be repaired, I am just frustrated and disgusted at the moment, but I always count my blessings, BAD credit and all LOL

I work in customer service and have for over 10 years, I know there is not always a resolve to someones issues, but I know at the end of the day I went above and beyond and did my best to help them, I was just hoping I would get the same consideration.

Again thank you for coming to my defense, it is greatly appreciated!!! I will keep my fingers crossed for all us Edge owners who just want to have our Suv back sooner than later and in the same condition we left them in.

Ā 

I hope you have a wonderful evening! :)

• Like 1

I'm not blaming you so much as I'm trying to point out where Ford's responsibilities should end. I agree your daughter should be allowed to drive the rental - is that being denied by Ford or the dealer/rental company? Maybe our Ford service rep here can help with that.

Here is a follow up to my post on 29 March 2015:

Ā 

I contacted the service manager at my local dealer and he was sympathetic but since the recall doesnā€™t include 2010, there was nothing he could do (he understood it would be at least September for new parts). My next call was to Ford Canada and the agent on the phone was polite and courteous but could not offer any assistance. She lectured me on the warranty period being over and that it is a consumer problem. I reminded her that a defective part is manufactures problem, regardless whether they admit it or not. I called Transport Canada next and left a message with the details. Their automated message said to expect a phone call to confirm the details of the complaint.

Ā 

So Iā€™m stuck with a car that I donā€™t feel is safe enough for my kids. Even if I get the tank ā€œrepairedā€ that means Iā€™m repairing a part that is likely fit to be recalled anyway.

Ā 

Iā€™ll see what Transport Canada says but I think Iā€™ll call Ford again and let them know that I will be documenting how they handle the situation on a public forum and it is up to them whether the public reads a positive or a negative experience. I really liked this vehicle and was looking forward to growing into an Explorer once my boys are older but an issue like this really puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Iā€™ll follow up if I hear anything new.

I reminded her that a defective part is manufactures problem, regardless whether they admit it or not.

Ā 

That's not true at all. Defective parts are only covered during the warranty period unless it's a safety recall. Otherwise the mfr would essentially be offering a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty and that would add thousands of dollars to the cost of the vehicles. If you wanted more coverage than what the mfr provides you have the option of purchasing an extended warranty.

Ā 

That said, I think the later models should have been covered under the same recall. My guess is there haven't been enough failures yet and Ford is trying to wait until the replacement tank supplies catch up with demand but they will eventually be recalled as well.

Ā 

I think they should have extended it anyway - hopefully there are only a few of the 09+ models affected. If you can get it fixed or replaced now go ahead and just save the receipt - if it's recalled later they'll reimburse you.

I can hear those dry lifters from here. The battery will definitely be toast. You might get lucky and the calipers and rotors might not be welded together with rust. Storage is hard on cars.

Hello to all!

Further to my previous post (87)...... I respectfully declined the offer and politely stated since my car was recalled by Ford and unsafe (Ford's words) to return it to me as is, I would wait for my car to be repaired. The Ford person ....replied back with a thank you and that his manager would be informed of my decline.

As I sit ......or drive their car (LOL) and wait for the elusive gas tank......my Edge has been sitting in a Ford car lot all winter long perhaps not started and certainly rusting.....I live in Canada near the Buffalo New York border .....the brakes, rotors, bearings and just about anything else that is metal is rusting.......I anticipate some serious discussion about having my Edge returned to me in the same condition I left it as .....of course with the addition of a ne w gas tank!

I would be interested in the thoughts of all that read this post.

Have a great day!

• Like 1

Upon further reflection.........the Ford offer of buying my car at Fair Market Value....which I could get on my own........$2500 credit off the purchase of a ne Ford.....which is the price of the gas tank.......is really not an offer. However what is an exception offer was and is the use of a Loaner Car.......all in all.......I could be swayed if they doubled or tripled the cash credit!

Ā 

......just saying!

Ā 

With all the things happening in the world...this seems trivial....

Ā 

Best wishes from Canada to all!

Hello, ALL, ...

especially all 2010 Ford Edge owners with leaking gas tanks needing replacement, or already replaced.

Ā 

On the night of Oct 15 2014, I smelled gasoline coming from underneath my parked Edge. Upon looking beneath the car, I discovered a noticeable drip of gasoline.

Ā 

On the morning of Oct 16 2014, I took the vehicle to our closest Ford dealership, Blue Star Ford Lincoln, Queensway East, Simcoe, ON.

Ā 

I was advised by the Blue Star service team that the entire top of the tank was deteriorated and the entire gas tank needed to be replaced.

Ā 

Repair/Replacement Cost to me: approximately $2500 CDN.

Ā 

The vehicle had just turned 126,000 kms.

Original Purchase date: August 13, 2009.

Purchased new from: Whiteoak Ford Lincoln, Mavis Road, Mississauga, ON

Ā 

To add insult to injury, this situation revealed itself just two (2) months [to the day] after the expiration of the Extended Service Program (ESP) I took out with Whiteoak when I purchased the Edge new.

Ā 

I tried pursuing some reimbursement/warranty remedies through the servicing dealership and my original dealership of record. No luck. My experience trying to do so was not at all dissimilar to those already recounted by numerous of you in this forum under this topic. It appears that, despite the most diligent of efforts, no current owner of a 2010 Edge has been successful in gaining remedy.

Ā 

So, replace I did, at my expense. I then drove the Edge to Florida for our annual winter snowbird trip and tried to forget about the gas tank situation.

Ā 

Upon my return to Ontario at the end of March, I've since learned a recall was issued by Ford (14S22) on October 28 2014 for the same issue I had with my 2010 Edge, but only for the 2007-2008 Edge.

Ā 

And that's my story to add for posterity to the growing numbers already here. I thought it prudent to include my information and to use this forum as one means of staying apprised of anything which may transpire going forward for the 2010 Edge owners with leaking gas tanks.

Ā 

I feel for those of you with the 2007-2008 models and your inability to get repairs made given the shortage of replacement fuel tanks. For myself, I recognize I'm fortunate to have a vehicle with a replaced tank, even if I am out of pocket $2500. At least I have my vehicle in my possession and I'm still driving it.

• Like 2

Hang on to your receipts this ride is not over.

Ā 

Hello, ALL, ...

especially all 2010 Ford Edge owners with leaking gas tanks needing replacement, or already replaced.

Ā 

On the night of Oct 15 2014, I smelled gasoline coming from underneath my parked Edge. Upon looking beneath the car, I discovered a noticeable drip of gasoline.

Ā 

On the morning of Oct 16 2014, I took the vehicle to our closest Ford dealership, Blue Star Ford Lincoln, Queensway East, Simcoe, ON.

Ā 

I was advised by the Blue Star service team that the entire top of the tank was deteriorated and the entire gas tank needed to be replaced.

Ā 

Repair/Replacement Cost to me: approximately $2500 CDN.

Ā 

The vehicle had just turned 126,000 kms.

Original Purchase date: August 13, 2009.

Purchased new from: Whiteoak Ford Lincoln, Mavis Road, Mississauga, ON

Ā 

To add insult to injury, this situation revealed itself just two (2) months [to the day] after the expiration of the Extended Service Program (ESP) I took out with Whiteoak when I purchased the Edge new.

Ā 

I tried pursuing some reimbursement/warranty remedies through the servicing dealership and my original dealership of record. No luck. My experience trying to do so was not at all dissimilar to those already recounted by numerous of you in this forum under this topic. It appears that, despite the most diligent of efforts, no current owner of a 2010 Edge has been successful in gaining remedy.

Ā 

So, replace I did, at my expense. I then drove the Edge to Florida for our annual winter snowbird trip and tried to forget about the gas tank situation.

Ā 

Upon my return to Ontario at the end of March, I've since learned a recall was issued by Ford (14S22) on October 28 2014 for the same issue I had with my 2010 Edge, but only for the 2007-2008 Edge.

Ā 

And that's my story to add for posterity to the growing numbers already here. I thought it prudent to include my information and to use this forum as one means of staying apprised of anything which may transpire going forward for the 2010 Edge owners with leaking gas tanks.

Ā 

I feel for those of you with the 2007-2008 models and your inability to get repairs made given the shortage of replacement fuel tanks. For myself, I recognize I'm fortunate to have a vehicle with a replaced tank, even if I am out of pocket $2500. At least I have my vehicle in my possession and I'm still driving it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so I guess I am late to all of this. I just noticed the gas smell last week and was informed yesterday that I will be in a rental car for the next few months as my car is NOT safe to drive. Is the Fair Market Value, plus an extra $2500 toward a new car, the only offer anyone has had from Ford. I was going to call, but if no one is getting anywhere with this, I wasn't going to waste my time. I want a new car, but my car was still ok and only had 175,000 miles on it. I planned on getting many more. So if I am going to take on another payment, I would have expected a little bit more from them.

Ok, so I guess I am late to all of this. I just noticed the gas smell last week and was informed yesterday that I will be in a rental car for the next few months as my car is NOT safe to drive. Is the Fair Market Value, plus an extra $2500 toward a new car, the only offer anyone has had from Ford. I was going to call, but if no one is getting anywhere with this, I wasn't going to waste my time. I want a new car, but my car was still ok and only had 175,000 miles on it. I planned on getting many more. So if I am going to take on another payment, I would have expected a little bit more from them.

Ā 

If you traded it in for a new car you would have gotten far less than FMV - you would have gotten wholesale value - and you wouldn't get the $2500 either. Altogether that would be closer to $5K (assuming you were planning to trade it in anyway). I don't know why you would expect to get more than that.

• 2 weeks later...

When I came across this forum I felt as though I need to vent my own story. My family and I lost our 2007 ford edge due to fuel tank leak Christmas 2014. My calculated rental costs are approximately $10,000. My lender vehicle is a ford edge (lucky for that) cost to ford $55/ day. I was told back in March that a new tank may be available in August. I require a hitch on my vehicle for summer employment and recreational use. When I contacted ford customer care line and dealership I received the same answer. "We will only supply you with loaner vehicle, no hitch". My edge now sits in a dealer parking lot rusting away. My break pads and calipers are rusted or seized, tires have flat spots, battery is dead...

There is no end in sight, no one from either dealer or ford Canada has contacted me along the way with any information or updates. I have not been offered a buy out how ever the dealer contacted me several times to try and sell me a new ford edge. This may be the last ford I own.

Truly mind Boggling

Ā 

Ok, so I guess I am late to all of this. I just noticed the gas smell last week and was informed yesterday that I will be in a rental car for the next few months as my car is NOT safe to drive...

Ā 

When I came across this forum I felt as though I need to vent my own story. My family and I lost our 2007 ford edge due to fuel tank leak Christmas 2014...

First of all, I want to say welcome to the community, Pamh74 and Kelly Turner! :love_shower:

Ā 

My name is Tricia, and Iā€™m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Iā€™ll be here to assist with question and concerns.

Ā 

If you live in Canada, please donā€™t hesitate to reach out to my FordServiceCA colleagues here.

Ā 

Please continue to work with your Ford Dealers to reach a resolution. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, just give us a shout, and we will be happy to check our available resources at that time! :)

Ā 

Tricia

Edited by FordService
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the following in a similar thread but figured I would post again in this thread.

Ā 

I am new to the forum and have found all this information very helpful. I believe that I am in a bit of a different situation and was hoping someone else may have some experience with. I have a 2008 Edge Limited AWD and started smelling gas after filling up a few weeks ago. I have a 98 F150 with 235K miles that sits in the garage so I wrote the smell off to that. After the last fill up the odor was more intense and I realized it was coming from the Edge. I got under it and there was gas all around the front passenger side of the tank. After doing some research and finding this forum I learned about the recall so I was relieved until I realized that it was only issued on Edges that were registered in "Salt" states. I live in Oklahoma where we don't have a ton of snow but we usually get a few good ones a year and I have taken it to Kansas City in the snow a few times. I searched my VIN number and the recall did not come up so I called Ford this morning and they said that I need to take it to a dealership but would not commit to covering anything under the recall. I am going to take it to the dealership in the next couple days but it sure seems to me that if mine is having the same issue then Ford needs to cover it. Has anyone else had a similar issue?