Serious gas tank leak

Fullhouz

Good New, Bad News received today:

Good news: my tank came in and they got it installed. The anticipated arrival date was middle November of this year. Will be glad to get the Lincoln back.

Bad news: Service manager said that my rim has a crack in it where the tire beads and needs to be replaced to the tune of 1300.00 but since it sat in their lot since last September, they would give it to me for 1100.00. They are claiming ZERO responsibility for the crack and said its all on me. I know for sure it wasn't like that when I brought it in. I hate stealerships.

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across this forum. But we have the exact same issue as everyone here. Although, the sucky part for us, our specific Edge, even though it's a 2007 with rust and leaking fuel tank IS NOT COVERED under the recall. We purchased the car used while we were stationed in Germany, so to know where the car was originally purchased, we don't know that information. I made a complaint to the autosafety.org website, waiting for a response. My husband and I refuse to pay $1,000+ dollars on something that FORD SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE for fixing. It's a safety concern for everyone in our family. Our's should be under this recall since we have every single problem that is listed within the recall. I would like a Ford representative to contact me to get this issue taken care and not just here "sorry, your car is not under the recall, we can't do anything for you." That in my opinion, is pretty awful to hear when it's a major concern.

Amanda

My guess is after they build up sufficient parts they'll widen the recall. If FordService can't help then get it fixed and keep your receipts and there's a chance you'll get reimbursed later.

It totally sucks and I wish they wouldn't do it this way, but that's business sometimes.

Just came across this forum. But we have the exact same issue as everyone here. Although, the sucky part for us, our specific Edge, even though it's a 2007 with rust and leaking fuel tank IS NOT COVERED under the recall. We purchased the car used while we were stationed in Germany, so to know where the car was originally purchased, we don't know that information. I made a complaint to the autosafety.org website, waiting for a response. My husband and I refuse to pay $1,000+ dollars on something that FORD SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE for fixing. It's a safety concern for everyone in our family. Our's should be under this recall since we have every single problem that is listed within the recall. I would like a Ford representative to contact me to get this issue taken care and not just here "sorry, your car is not under the recall, we can't do anything for you." That in my opinion, is pretty awful to hear when it's a major concern.

Amanda

Amanda,

I had the same issue with my wife's Edge. I called Ford and set up a claim and they told me to take it to the dealer. I took it to the dealer and they worked with Ford on the issue and since it turned out to be the same issue Ford is covering mine just like it was on the recall list. I got a free rental and everything. Call Ford and tell them what the issue is then work with the dealer and you should be able to get it taken care of too. I hope this helps.

-Steve

• Like 1

Hello!

I just bought a used 2007 Ford Edge back at the end of June. Put brand new tires on in the middle of July. The place who did my tires said my gas tank was leaking...

I called the dealership that I bought it from. They looked it up and said there was a recall on it. I took it to my local dealership which was not where I bought it. Its been sitting there since July 22nd. I miss it! I only had it for 3 weeks.

I do have a 2015 Chrysler 200 as a rental but its not the same. I bought an SUV for a reason.

How long are people waiting? Honestly I don't think I should have ever been sold the Edge since it had an active recall on it. But I just wanted it fixed...

Edited by Amy LaDew

• 2 weeks later...

Would the car sitting up for 9 months cause the A/C to be damaged some how. We got ours back and now the A/C has slowly stopped blowing cold. Today, no cold air... not good in Mississippi. This is in addition to them returning it to us with a bent rim that they took no responsibility for.

I am going to try to charge the system tonight in hopes that its not the evaporator sensor or compressor.

Have the dealer clean out:

A] Cabin filter

B] Condensor (in front of the radiator)

C] Windshield cowl area

D] Condensation tube (accessible joint should be under carpet on driver side of center console kick panel) - blow out with air

E] Evaporator unit (behind the dash)

If that doesn't do it, then look to possibly needing to recharge the system.

This should all honestly be on Ford's/dealer's dime, IMHO.

After sending an email to Corporate Ford Customer service...they expedited my tank and I got it back today!!

It was only since mid July. I sent the email August 30th and it was finished September 8th.

I was pretty excited to get it back. Waiting almost two months was horrible, I couldn't imagine waiting 6 months to a year. I would hate to be responsible for a rental for that long. Of course, on my way to return the rental car, a nail embedded into the back tire. Enterprise said they would take care of it! So wahoo!! All is right in the world.

Gladly gave up a 2015 Chrysler 200 for my 2007 Edge

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I have 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD. I had received the recall letter from Ford some time ago. I decided to look under the vehicle to see for myself how bad it was on my Edge and found that the tank is significantly rusted all around the seem of the tank and brackets as well as near the gas filler neck/tube. I brought it right away to my nearest Ford dealer after seeing that but was told that if there was no odour of gas, no check engine light on or no sign of leaking gas that they would not be able to take the vehicle at that time. They recommended that I should park the vehicle for the time being if possible at my residence until I received an update from Ford on when I could bring my vehicle in to be serviced.

Now my Ford Edge has been sitting in my driveway for the past 7+ months with no news from Ford. Calls to Ford have not helped answer any of my questions of when I will have my Ford Edge fixed. All they continue to say is that Ford is currently working on getting the parts into the dealers and to wait until Ford mails out new information. I am just fed up with this situation from ford, right now I am left with an expensive driveway ornament.

Thankfully I had another vehicle I can use for the time being and I could care for my vehicle at my residence especially after reading about the way others Edges have been cared for at the dealers.

Is there anyone I can contact directly about this? Does anyone know how much longer it is going to be?

Have the dealer clean out:

A] Cabin filter

B] Condensor (in front of the radiator)

C] Windshield cowl area

D] Condensation tube (accessible joint should be under carpet on driver side of center console kick panel) - blow out with air

E] Evaporator unit (behind the dash)

If that doesn't do it, then look to possibly needing to recharge the system.

This should all honestly be on Ford's/dealer's dime, IMHO.

It was a clogged condenser. The dealership did not charge us.

• Like 1

I also have my tank leaking. Took it to the dealer and they found out it was part of the recall so they gave me a rental while they worked on it. But it took around 3 months to fix. They replaced the tank. Remember when they give you a rental to tell them that you are giving them an SUV so you want an SUV back. They gave me a brand new 2015 Fully loaded Tahoe LTZ. nice car lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the safety recall done on my 07 Edge SEL AWD and it took them a month to fix and replace what needed to get done. When I got it back, just a week afterwards the gas cap light came on of which wasn't on when I brought it in and they are saying they want 400 dollars to replace the Evap Canister Vent Solenoid. It's a 80 dollar part and take less than 30 minutes to replace. Never had an issue with any of this til now, same with my brand new belt squealing. Wasn't when it went in and now it's embarrassing to even drive how loud it is. They said they won't do anything. Love this vehicle to death but it's going to be the death of me if this squeal don't get taken care of and that started the next day after picking it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Sad but true! I have a 2010 Ford Edge. I had the gas tank replaced today...$2705 installed. The old tank was rusted and leaking around the fill connections on the tank. Ford customer service claims it's an environmental issue because we use salt on our icy roads! I suggested that they might want to pull the Edge from all dealers except for Arizona and Alberta. I love this car. It is a great car to drive or ride along. Very comfortable and stylish, but I can't afford to put a new gas tank on every 3 or 4 years and I am not ready to move to AZ. I also have a 2011 F-250 King Ranch. With Ford being unable to produce vehicles for this harsh climate we have in Southwestern Ontario..... :) I guess this will end my 30 year love affair with the blue oval.

Ford just issued a recall on gas tanks for 2009 & 2010 Edge's and MKX's. You should be able to get a rebate on the one you had replaced back in January 2014.

See the message posted in the recall forum for details.

How do you re-tension a belt? Do these cars have the new stretchy belts and there's some type of sliding/adjustable idler?

Depends on the type of belt. If it's a type of V-belt where you apply tension manually, it usually requires retensioning after 30 days or so. All belts stretch after being put into service. If it's a serpentine, the spring tensioner will adjust for any stretch automatically.

Don't see why a belt would be squealing after being, installed unless the tensioner is not applying enough pressure; or some other part is applying too much load (bad bearing, etc).

In any case, the dealer needs to take a look at it and make it right.

Depends on the type of belt. If it's a type of V-belt where you apply tension manually, it usually requires retensioning after 30 days or so. All belts stretch after being put into service. If it's a serpentine, the spring tensioner will adjust for any stretch automatically.

Don't see why a belt would be squealing after being, installed unless the tensioner is not applying enough pressure; or some other part is applying too much load (bad bearing, etc).

In any case, the dealer needs to take a look at it and make it right.

No cars have used v-belts for decades. Everything from the 80's upwards has serpentine belts with spring tensioners- until just very recently. Now there are the stretchy serpentine belts that have no tensioner. I thought maybe you knew something I didn't when you stated it needs to be re-tensioned. I don't think there is any way to "re-tension" a belt as you stated in your post from Nov 16th above.