Well I most definitely didn't see this one coming

thirdgenlxi

Well this is one post I was really hoping I'd never have to make at least for a long LOOONG time, that I absolutely dread to post, and wish to god I didn't have to. Unfortunately my usually happy doggy story has taken a very tragic turn for the worst. Late Thursday afternoon I had received a phone call at work from my landlords who live next door, and they gave me some news that literally made my body numb...... they said one of my dogs had been shot. I absolutely couldn't believe it. I made my way home to get the rest of the story, and my landlords next door came over crying..... with a very heavy heart and many tears, I'm sad to say my sweet boy Riley had crossed the rainbow bridge. To make a long story short, it turns out my shitbag whitetrash neighbor shot him in cold blood, saying that Riley "attacked his pant leg"..... which is complete and utter bullshit. Riley was still rather shy, and absolutely would NOT go up to anyone but me. People could have food or treats to give him and he still wouldn't go up and take it from them. Not to mention he's had all his beginner, intermediate, and advanced classes, which he passed with flying colors, as well as his CGC certificate which he also passed with flying colors...... doesn't exactly sound like stuff an aggressive dog would have. The further I get into it, the more I see that LOTS of stuff just isn't adding up

I took him into the vets Friday evening for a necropsy and got a lot of useful information. Looks like he was shot 3 times, twice in the rear FROM A DISTANCE with a bird shot, and then once almost point blank near the head, which was ultimately what killed him. They checked his teeth for evidence of a fight or any fabric material (dude says his pants are all torn), and found absolutely nothing.... the only thing in his mouth was some grass. So needless to say, I'm building myself a legal case against this guy, gonna get all my ducks in a row, get as many people and agencies and whatnot involved as I can, and then hopefully nail this asshole to the f'ing wall, and am going to take every legal option I have to do so. The guy from Pet Heaven came yesterday and picked him up to take him to get cremated.... he should be back on Monday afternoon and I'll build him a nice little memorial to hang up here in the house where he can watch over his sister and his step-mama that love him just as much

And everyone please share this.... trying to get as many people, agencies, organizations, etc involved in this. Contacting an attorney as well

Here's the original thread with all their pics and stories

RIP Riley.... 1-16-11 (gotcha!) - 7-18-13. 2.5 years old was waaaaay too young, especially to end it like this. Run free sweet boy...... I love you and miss you soooo much already :(

riley13_zpscae38ed5.jpg

riley14_zps93280981.jpg

riley15_zpsc8362987.jpg

riley12_zps8a4daf6e.jpg

riley09_zps597a14eb.jpg

riley10_zps132abc79.jpg

riley11_zpsd50dcf3c.jpg

riley05_zps20709770.jpg

riley06_zps406e14f4.jpg

riley07_zps963609dd.jpg

riley01_zps2e3e7204.jpg

riley02_zpscb048742.jpg

riley03_zpsca8577b9.jpg

riley04_zps3b1b6163.jpg

riley08_zps2186bc67.jpg

That's absolutely heartbreaking! My heart actually dropped just reading the story, and the pictures did me over. So sorry to hear what happened, but I wish you the best of luck bringing the asshole that killed him to justice. Hope the others, including yourself, live out safe lives. Best wishes.

Jeez dude! I am so sorry to hear what happened. The fact is that animals have little to no rights in this country, and comparatively speaking, you can get off with a slap on the wrist for outrageous acts like this.

Hope he went quickly and peacefully, and hope you will find it in your heart to forgive the shooter, even though he may not deserve your forgiveness.

Jared,

Couldn't believe what I just read is actually true, but I know that it is. I wish I could come over and cut your neighbors friggin balls off, at least for a start. When you getthe report from the vet, go to the authorities, and press charges against the muther. I know what it is like to loose a pet, but tom have something like this happen is beyond belief. He's now your angel watching over you.

Again, so sorry.

Joe

• Like 1

Jared,

Very sorry. Pet's are like our kids. There should be more laws passed to protect our pets. You read and hear every day about the sick things so called humans do to animals. You say the guy said his pants were torn from Riley. Well that's possible BUT I bet the a--hole kicked him first to cause Riley to defend himself. I' m not saying this happened BUT is possible. Either way this guy should get the samething he gave Riley. We know no such luck on that. Hope you have good luck going the legal way.

Larry

• Like 1

Jared, like many others in our Edge/MKX community, I was heartbroken to read your story. I love the one pic with Riley and his diploma...he just looks so proud!! I wish you the best on getting justice and dealing with your terrible loss. Godspeed.

GEEZ DUDE!!! This should have had a warning label! Not only did it make me sick to my stomach, but way to sad to read first thing in the morning. I am so glad that you didn't give this redneck inbred what he deserves, because you would be in more trouble than him. Losing a pet is devastating, but to lose him so young and in such a senseless way is horrible! Please keep us posted on what, if anything happens to this worthless P.O.S. Several years ago my nieces little dog was abducted by a neighbor that she had a run in with. He threw the little dog off of a bridge as he drove across. He only had to pay a fine, even though animal groups got involved. My cousin was shot in the head and his 2 y.o. son was shot in the head by his neighbor after he took a restraining order out on him, so everyone needs to be aware that psycho's live all around us. Be careful how you deal with this piece of crap, he might come after you next. Be very alert and stay safe!

Jared...was thinking about this again the other night and was getting so disgusted. Unfortunately animals have basically little value in the legal sense and a-holes like this often get off with little to no punishment, but I thought of something that might be worth looking into. I am pretty sure in my state there are laws about discharging firearms in a residential area. I don't know if the same applies to your state but I think you have to be so many yards from any area someone could be expected to be. I know they have caveats to this if you are protecting yourself, but since you can prove he was not you may be able to present that info to the local police and have him charged for illegally discharging a weapon. Maybe doing so will get his permits yanked so he can't do something like this again. Just a thought.

I am new to the forum, and usually wait until I have a question to post. But this brings back all sorts of feelings for me. I had a neighbor that beat my dog to death several years ago. I came home from work and found her, still on her run. The neighbor said the barking was bothering him. Sammy was born without the ability to bark.

I don't know about your state, but in my case anyway, the penalty that was brought against my neighbor was 10,000 fine for animal creulty, 1 year in jail and 5 years probabtion. Even with that I know I will never get Sammy back. I feel for you, and I hope you get justice for him.

Hey everyone sorry for the late reply..... I honestly just had to take a couple days and just try and clear my head of this whole thing and get my marbles straight. This has been by far one of the most emotionally draining things I've had to deal with in a long LONG time

Anyways, the local sheriff was pretty much utterly useless.... got the impression that they just didn't want to deal with it, and pretty much right off the bat they just said it "looked like it was a justified shooting...."..... no charges, case closed. But I'm not OK with that. I had a good hour and a half long chat with an attorney the other night.... she only does animal cases and only here in NC. Super nice lady and obviously a true animal lover herself. So we're trying to figure out what (if anything), we can do. She definitely agrees with me that this was totally unjustified, especially the 3rd shot which was what killed him (he was already disabled from the first 2, then he went back in the house and got another gun, came back out while Riley was obviously not a threat as he was laying on the ground, and shot him in the side of the head behind the ear). But unfortunately our incredibly lax animal laws generally view animals as nothing more than "property" (which is BS), so if anything all I may be able to get is the cost of another dog..... which I couldn't care less about. But we're gonna see what we can come up with

The whole situation still makes me sick to my stomach though. I took Riley in and had his body cremated..... got him back a couple days later, so now I need to build a little memorial for him to hang on the wall, with the urn with his ashes, collar, food dish, all his diplomas and certificates, and a whole bunch of pictures. Still miss my lil man like crazy every single day :(

And thanks everyone for the kind words..... I really do appreciate it

Edited by thirdgenlxi
  • Like 2