How long should Brake Pads last?

Hi guys,

I have been reading all the old posts about brake pads so please forgive me for asking this... but I recently had my car in for "The Works" Oil Change and the service manager said my rear brake pads are "starting to get low." I currently have about 29,000 miles on my Edge Sport. Does this sound realistic? I understand that factors like braking habits will affect it, but how long do brake pads on the edge typically last? If so would you guys suggest changing out brake pads at all four points at once instead?

Thanks for any input!

Gene

That's low but certainly possible, especially on a Sport. I had to change my rear pads at 60K in a non-sport 08 but my wife drives it very carefully.

No need to change the front pads at the same time - you just need to do both wheels at the same time (front or rear). The front pads on our 08 are still original at 60K.

Edited by akirby

From what I gather on the Web: Electronic Brake Distribution (as seen on this spec page) is tied into the ABS system. Trying to achieve vehicle stability under all conditions, and possibly using the rear brakes first/more under light braking. Also trying to prevent nosedive under vehicle bumper in case of impact.

At a recent oil change at the dealership, the rear brakes were noted as YELLOW, fronts as GREEN. Although I have no idea when/if the pads were replaced (bought the vehicle used), most of my braking is light/pre-emptive.

From what I gather on the Web: Electronic Brake Distribution (as seen on this spec page) is tied into the ABS system. Trying to achieve vehicle stability under all conditions, and possibly using the rear brakes first/more under light braking. Also trying to prevent nosedive under vehicle bumper in case of impact.

At a recent oil change at the dealership, the rear brakes were noted as YELLOW, fronts as GREEN. Although I have no idea when/if the pads were replaced (bought the vehicle used), most of my braking is light/pre-emptive.

Thanks. That explains a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...