What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

I try to read several different websites concern product reviews. Often get opposing views. (The home site will always offer biased views, and often there a bogus posts spread to counter negative comments). I simply found it interesting that a purchaser of the coating found it to be lacking.

• Like 1

Wow, what luck to have both cars damaged like that! Hope the body work is the extent of the problem.

The upgrades will keep your mind off such troubles, for sure :)

Luckily for both cars, the body work was the extent of the problem(s). The shop I used made both cars look like they never got hit.

I haven't run the lighting past the wife yet. Been busy with a LOT of other stuff.

• Like 1

Over the weekend.....

Washed and cleaned interior

Planning to have my carpet guy come out and clean the carpet on both cars as well as the house

Felt trunk of wife's car after wash and I didn't like how rough it was feeling. Contemplating doing a buff with the rotary on it.

• Like 1

Did this yesterday, super easy. I have to give credit to Xtra for this one, he gave me the idea. Used my left over 3M gloss black vinyl from when I wrapped my exhaust bezels.

Also started hard wiring my dash cam. Got the cable ran along the top of the windshield, down the A pillar, and under the dash. Ran into a problem though, the Amazon wiring kit doesn't come with the right fuse panel plug, the Gen II Edges have these double fuses I've not seen before, I need to learn more about the types of fuses in these cars and buy the right plug to tap into the cabin fuse panel. In hind sight, I probably should have checked this before I soldered it together! :gaah:
I'll try to do a full write up once I figure things out and finish up. I learned some things about removing panels from under the dash and have some tips for running wires that will be useful to others.
  • Like 2

Thanks, I looked it up this morning too and its pretty straight forward, but it has changed since I last dealt with a cabin fuse panel in the late 90's. When I first looked at the fuse panel diagram in the manual, I saw that there were a few "spares" locations available, but I think they were all Micro3 and a shared fuse with important stuff. It looks like the best one to tap into is the 10 amp fuse at location 23 (assuming Gen II shares the same layout for all yrs). Its the "delayed accessory" circuit. I'll be able to finish up Wednesday when I get the Micro2 fuse tap adapter. Managed to run the wire without removing any weather stripping and only removing two easy to pop off panels. Also, the little storage drawer under the head light switch to the left of the steering wheel pops straight out and you get a clear view of the fuse panel, makes it way easier to work on. You still have to reach underneath to get to it, but at least you don't have to stuff yourself underneath the dash upside down.

• Like 1

Disabled the "double honk" feature when you get out and close the door while the engine is running. I found this feature to be very annoying!

For those of you who use FORScan (extended license), this will work for changing a 2016 BCM:

BCM Address 726-41-01

Change from 0001 0001 0072

to 0000 0001 0071

Also converted the front turn signals and DRLs to LED bulbs. No more incandescent bulbs anywhere on the car.

For the front turn signals, I again used FORScan to disable the "hyperflash" bulb out feature instead of adding resistors. From what I see, this is what most people end up doing as a work around. Of course this is probably easier than going thru the process of figuring out how to use FORScan to disable it. Upgrading to low power consuming LED bulbs only to add huge resistors so that the circuits use just as much power as the incandescent bulbs just never sat right with me. Especially once I saw how hot the resistors get, so hot that they cant even be in contact with anything plastic or it will melt it, maybe even catch on fire.

Here is the BCM change for this:

BCM Address 726-27-01

Change from 0100 0001 0057

to 0000 0001 0057

A lot of the BCM programming seems to be identical across the different Ford models. For example, I noticed on the other forums that both of the above changes work on the F150, and Fusion, probably many more. I was definitely nervous when I finally pushed the "write" button in FORScan, but I took others advice and downloaded the entire AS-BUILT configuration of my car from the Ford Motorcraft website using my VIN number, super easy. Only cost me like $20 for the ELM327 cable.

• Like 1

Disabled the "double honk" feature when you get out and close the door while the engine is running. I found this feature to be very annoying!

Actually I found this to be quite useful on a trip to Seattle this week. I had a 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Pushed the button to turn off the engine, opened the door and got out to the double honk. Turns out the car was still running on battery, dead silent, but still on. Seems I failed to turn it off after all.

Actually I found this to be quite useful on a trip to Seattle this week. I had a 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Pushed the button to turn off the engine, opened the door and got out to the double honk. Turns out the car was still running on battery, dead silent, but still on. Seems I failed to turn it off after all.

The other very useful scenario is if you're dropping somebody off and they have the only key. Without the honk you might not realize it and drive off without the key.

There are 3 very easy workarounds - don't close the door all the way, turn off the vehicle (with IA this is so easy no keys to fumble with just hit the button and hit it again to turn it back on), or leave the fob in the cupholder.

That double honk has done nothing but annoy me and frighten other people since day one. Its very difficult to remember it every time you get out and close the door while running. Plus its garnered me the stink eye on more than one occasion from people thinking I'm honking at them for some reason. I figure I've been driving for over 20 years and I've never needed (or wanted) my car to remind me its running every time I get out and close the door, especially via the horn! For me, the much more simple work around was changing a 1 to a 0 and continuing to leave the key FOB in my pocket at all times. Besides, even if I do manage to accidentally leave it running, which has NEVER happened before, its not the end of the world, the car will just shut off after 30 minutes anyway. I imagine that I'm probably a little more sick of this feature than most people though. I almost always remote start my car a few minutes ahead of time and I have a two year old, so I'm constantly getting in and out with the engine running. Plus that horn is loud as all hell in a parking garage! But to each his own, at least we have the option to keep it or disable it now!

Edited by roots57

Spoke with Dan this weekend and will be placing my order for the new puddle lamps Thursday

Changing Fuse #17......again because left HID is out (Next week, ordering Morimoto 2 Stroke LED headlights (Along with Morimoto switchbacks) and moving HIDs to wifey's 300)

Resume hunting for new headlight assemblies

Oil Change

Still getting vibration from Kumhos after Road Force Balancing. May have subframe looked at while oil is being changed

• Like 1

Spoke with Dan this weekend and will be placing my order for the new puddle lamps

Ya man, they would sure come in handy down in Texas right now.

Seriously, I can't imagine what those poor people are going through. 40"-50" of rain and I'm worried about stepping puddles?

Bet I know where we can pick up a brand new Edge or MKX in a few weeks... really cheap!

• Like 1

That double honk has done nothing but annoy me and frighten other people since day one. Its very difficult to remember it every time you get out and close the door while running. Plus its garnered me the stink eye on more than one occasion from people thinking I'm honking at them for some reason. I figure I've been driving for over 20 years and I've never needed (or wanted) my car to remind me its running every time I get out and close the door, especially via the horn! For me, the much more simple work around was changing a 1 to a 0 and continuing to leave the key FOB in my pocket at all times. Besides, even if I do manage to accidentally leave it running, which has NEVER happened before, its not the end of the world, the car will just shut off after 30 minutes anyway. I imagine that I'm probably a little more sick of this feature than most people though. I almost always remote start my car a few minutes ahead of time and I have a two year old, so I'm constantly getting in and out with the engine running. Plus that horn is loud as all hell in a parking garage! But to each his own, at least we have the option to keep it or disable it now!

If found this for Ford Explorers:

Secure Idle (Police Mode) BdyCM as built 726-42-01 x0xx xxxx xxxx x1xx xxxx xxxx Prevents vehicle transmission from shifting out of Park without passive key inside vehicle (Shifter Locked w/No Key Detected message) 0=Disabled 1=Enabled AllGoNShow Multiple Confirmations

Seem like a good idea to do as part of the Double Honk Disable. I will see if it works on the Edge (mine is 2017)

• Like 1

Secure Idle (Police Mode) BdyCM as built 726-42-01 x0xx xxxx xxxx x1xx xxxx xxxx Prevents vehicle transmission from shifting out of Park without passive key inside vehicle (Shifter Locked w/No Key Detected message) 0=Disabled 1=Enabled AllGoNShow Multiple Confirmations

Seem like a good idea to do as part of the Double Honk Disable. I will see if it works on the Edge (mine is 2017)

Good find, and I agree its probably a good idea to enable this feature with the double honk disabled. I checked my BCM as-built configuration that I downloaded from Ford and it is currently disabled. Let me know if it works on yours if you try it. Thanks!

Good find, and I agree its probably a good idea to enable this feature with the double honk disabled. I checked my BCM as-built configuration that I downloaded from Ford and it is currently disabled. Let me know if it works on yours if you try it. Thanks!

I would imagine other scenarios that suggest not doing this mod. For example, simply parking the vehicle after dropping off passengers, or if you loose your key in a trip while the car is running, then your stuck.

• Like 1

I would imagine other scenarios that suggest not doing this mod. For example, simply parking the vehicle after dropping off passengers, or if you loose your key in a trip while the car is running, then your stuck.

I suppose you would be stuck either way if you lose your key :-)

I didn't get time to try it, will try today.