What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Installed my new black Ford front oval:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252939053565?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dropped my socket down to the lower radiator, so I took the entire front clip off and started hacking at the wiring to install my Caddy horns. :rockon:

Spliced into the existing horn pigtail to run over to the relay switch; even soldered it. I was hoping that a single wire would of been enough to trip the relay, but I ended up having to splice both to make the circuit in the relay. Not the prettiest, but black tape hides the flaws. Had to enlarge the holes in the driver side fender to allow for the bolt as well as the little metal nubby. I have placed the front clip back on, but it looks like it should clear.

I'll run that harness over to the driver side to supply the relay and make my power supply line shorter. Not the most graceful, but it should work. I'll have an inline fuse coming off the battery.

On a side note, does anyone have a line on a horn pigtail for an '07? I just want one in case I come up with a more elegant plan. For now I'm leaving the stock horns hooked up - the Caddy ones should drown them out. I'm looking for a stock replacement if I want to change things back.

I did find this thread http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/4278-aftermarket-horns-anybody/

It seems that I could use a 9006 headlight pigtail, but nothing seemed to fit at AutoZone. I have a feeling that it will take a special FoMoCo connection to work.

Of course, since I have the front clip off and I haven't had enough electrical setbacks, maybe I'll look into some LED daytime driving lights I can plaster in there, Which fuse socket do I tap into under the hood to make them come on with the key? :whistling:

post-37963-0-77596400-1496367913_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Put the front clip back together. Horns get your attention for sure. Only issue is that next to the hood latch there were two bolts that held the plastic down. When I went to install them, the bolts fell down like there isn't any threads underneath the plate. It's not going anywhere, but I thought things like that were welded in place.

Also, with the under hood fuse box, is there a fuse that I can tap into that will come on with the ignition? I was thinking of adding LED daytime driving lights and was looking for an easy install.

• Like 1

Loaded down the Edge with china, headstone and 10 cases of Barq's root beer in the glass bottle (explanation when I get back) for a road trip from MS to VA. Spread the weight out as forward, low and best I could. The trip around the block wasn't bottoming out, but I still need to put the wife's luggage in there....

Should be back in around two weeks with the horn upgrade video. Son-in-law has an Edge, so I am hoping to do a side by side comparison.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, please do post a vid of the differences in the horn sound. I'd be interested in that and I'm sure others would also.

Sounds like those folks down there in Virginia are jonesin' for some root beer!

Posted the vijeo in my thread: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22649-my-horny-edge/

Mac is gonna kill me. :stirpot:

Barq's Root Beer is a regional drink that was bought by Coke some time ago. Coke changed the formula and released that as a national brand. They still make the local formula and it's found only in limited areas in glass bottles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barq%27s She probably has the largest stash on the East coast.

I will have to stop by the Sprawl-mart to weigh what a single six-pack, then multiply that 40 to get the total weight of soda pop. EDIT: Single, glass six-pack of Barq's Root Beer is 8.65 pounds. I hauled 346 pounds of product. Was tempted to drive through a CAT weigh station at one of the truck stops, but at $11, I was too cheap to do so. Not sure how much I had when I loaded the back with sod, but most of that weight was rear of the back wheels.

There was also a headstone. We interred the wife's late husband's ashes at Arlington. He had a marker stone down here and we brought it up to her. Not sure of the weight on that, but it rode on it's side behind the passenger seat. I'm judging about 100 pounds.

Didn't ride that bad on the way up there. Averaged about 20-21mpg. On the way back about 23. All at about 70-80mph.

Edited by Brucifer
  • Like 3

Too ricey for me but if you like them that's what matters

I don't like it at all...I'm going to re-wrap them in gloss black. They should still be noticeable as exhaust bezels against the matte black plastic of the surrounding body, but also match the other gloss black trim of the car. $11 worth of vinyl and a man hour or two is all it takes. Vinyl is great for certain things...its nice to try stuff out on the cheap that is easily reversible

• Like 3

Now yer talkin......I did mine with plastidip along with the "Edge" and "Sport" emblems. The gloss wrap should look great.

I don't like it at all...I'm going to re-wrap them in gloss black. They should still be noticeable as exhaust bezels against the matte black plastic of the surrounding body, but also match the other gloss black trim of the car. $11 worth of vinyl and a man hour or two is all it takes. Vinyl is great for certain things...its nice to try stuff out on the cheap that is easily reversible