What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Just drove from home (by Cleveland, Oh) to Dayton, Oh with some 'decent' snow on the ground. The FWD 2.0 Ecoboost performed well. Saw many 'southern ohio' drivers in the ditches & the edge just kept truckin.

Fuel economy did suffer quite a bit, going to get gas later today, but the cluster says that we averaged 23.2mpg,horrible. We had a strong head wind on the way down & was in boost most of the way down. Had a slight headwind/crosswind on the way up as well. Not to mention single digits temps each way.

Did see a fellow 1st gen edge owner. He refused to get out of the fast lane when there's cars piled up behind him & no one in front of him. Please don't be that guy people.....

• Like 3

Finally had success lightly tinting my tail light lenses after 2 failed attempts with wet apply film. The Gen II's tail lights have got to be on the top end of the difficulty scale because of the crazy curves and spanning middle section. Vvivid's dry apply tint film is way easier to use for super curved surfaces. I must say my wrapping skills have gotten so much better, just takes time and practice. I've saved hundreds of $$ doing it all myself though. After blacking out all the chrome and lightly tinting all the other lights, the tails stuck out like crazy. A lot of people hate tinted light lenses because they believe it defeats the purpose of lights, but with the light output of HIDs and LEDs these days, losing a tiny percentage of light really makes no meaningful difference IMO. With the light tint film everything is still plenty bright.

post-44888-0-03839600-1515376029_thumb.jpg

Edited by roots57
  • Like 4

Finally had success lightly tinting my tail light lenses after 2 failed attempts with wet apply film. The Gen II's tail lights have got to be on the top end of the difficulty scale because of the crazy curves and spanning middle section. Vvivid's dry apply tint film is way easier to use for super curved surfaces. I must say my wrapping skills have gotten so much better, just takes time and practice. I've saved hundreds of $$ doing it all myself though. After blacking out all the chrome and lightly tinting all the other lights, the tails stuck out like crazy. A lot of people hate tinted light lenses because they believe it defeats the purpose of lights, but with the light output of HIDs and LEDs these days, losing a tiny percentage of light really makes no meaningful difference IMO. With the light tint film everything is still plenty bright.

looks really good!

do you have any pics of the car from the side, and front/side with the rain guards on the windows? I never thought to put them on mine, and want to see if I like the look. do they create any wind noise/turbulence?

looks really good!

do you have any pics of the car from the side, and front/side with the rain guards on the windows? I never thought to put them on mine, and want to see if I like the look. do they create any wind noise/turbulence?

Here's a side view pic. I started putting rain guards on my cars back when I lived in Boston. I used to smoke cigs and the rain guards would create a perfect vacuum when you roll down the window a couple of inches and would prevent rain from coming in. I'm sure they add a little noise @ highway speeds but not much at all, these Gen II Edges are whisper quiet in the cabin anyway. I just like that I can have the window down a bit without rain coming in (for those rare SoCal rain storms). I bought the Edge rain guards from the dealership, but I'm sure they're cheaper online. I'd stay away from the type that mount into the window jam, while they may look a bit cleaner, but the jam is only made to fit the thickness of the window pane, not an additional 1/8" piece of plastic. I suggest you get the surface mount ones like mine if you do buy them.

Edited by roots57

+1 on the rain guards. I use the in-channel ones from Weather Tech. Started using them when I had the Explorer. I don't smoke but I do like to be able to open the windows a bit when its raining and not have any water come in. Also, here in Texas when it's 50,000 degrees out I can open all four windows a 1/2" or so and get a little ventilation when its parked in the sun.

well ford called and said my car wouldn't be ready now for 2 more weeks. They have had it since Dec 5th and so far a total of 119 days and counting since Oct 2015. This is getting really annoying. For those wondering, this started as supposedly leaking torque converter and now it seems my Transmission Housing is irregular says Big Ford. The plus is, my internals passed the bench test. Though I'd rather just get a whole new transmission. Though this dealer is making me lose all interest in my Edge, which is a pretty big statement from me for obvious reasons.
39560307952_0f28fb1151_k.jpg

• Like 1

Glad to hear, Prinzll. No more noise / vibration issues?

Not 100% gone but drastically lessened.

As for what's been done recently.....

• Replaced windshield courtesy of a rock that hit it on the freeway
  • Got oil changed

In the cards:

• Power Steering flush
  • Brake Fluid Flush
  • Shopping for pads and rotors
  • Shopping my lighting options
  • Like 1

Depending upon your budget for your brakes, you might take a look at the Powerstop OEM kit from AutoAnything. I got their 4-wheel kit that included rotors, pads, shims, lube, etc.. for $241 with free shipping. Kit # is KOE5452. This was in Feb of last year. Pricing may have changed YMMV. I think they also have a performance kit available also. I don't have any interest in AutoAnything, just thought I'd pass the info along.

• Like 1

Damn, sorry to hear that. Why did you take it in initially, what were the symptoms of the issue? Still under warranty, despite your performance mods?

leaking where the transmission/engine meet. Took it in in Oct 2015, Ford had it for 14 days and said yeah it's leaking, we can't find it. We dyed the fluids to see which fluid it is. Gave it back. I took it back in March of 2016. They had it again for 2 weeks said they found issue, but then never got around to fixing it. Gave it back to me. Then they had it from May-Sept. and replaced Torque Converter seal while I was deployed in Asia. Wife threw a fit cause service writer said they would have it for 10 days. Dealership made a few payments to ease the pain. I got back from my deployment, put her on ramps, broke out the PDF, retraced all the steps needed to remove transmission, logged every missing trim piece, hose clamp they didn't hook back up. Also found out the damn thing was still leaking. Took it in back in begninning of Nov. They had it for a week again, dyed the fluids AGAIN, gave it back to me AGAIN and then I went back in on my own on Dec5th and they took the car back and service writer called and said they "found the real" problem and that the transmission housing is irregular. Then waiting on Ford to tell them the next step. week later, they call and Ford wants to do a bench test. results come back, my internals are still good, I will have car Dec 28th, then I will get car Jan 10, now I will get the car end of Jan. So I am expecting another delay here and it's getting close to May when I have to ship the car to San Diego so my wife/2kids/choc lab/2 cats can drive cross country. My wife is beyond pissed... I've been looking at SRT Durango's and Audi Q7s

• Like 1

It's actually both. As Corporate Ford was the hold up for a whole week while they decided on new housing or full new transmission as corporate engineers looked over my bench test results

Understood, but a lot of people automatically equate anything the dealer does or doesn't do with Ford and that's simply not the case. And it sounded like most of the issues were on the dealer side.

• Like 1

leaking where the transmission/engine meet. Took it in in Oct 2015, Ford had it for 14 days and said yeah it's leaking, we can't find it. We dyed the fluids to see which fluid it is. Gave it back. I took it back in March of 2016. They had it again for 2 weeks said they found issue, but then never got around to fixing it. Gave it back to me. Then they had it from May-Sept. and replaced Torque Converter seal while I was deployed in Asia. Wife threw a fit cause service writer said they would have it for 10 days. Dealership made a few payments to ease the pain. I got back from my deployment, put her on ramps, broke out the PDF, retraced all the steps needed to remove transmission, logged every missing trim piece, hose clamp they didn't hook back up. Also found out the damn thing was still leaking. Took it in back in begninning of Nov. They had it for a week again, dyed the fluids AGAIN, gave it back to me AGAIN and then I went back in on my own on Dec5th and they took the car back and service writer called and said they "found the real" problem and that the transmission housing is irregular. Then waiting on Ford to tell them the next step. week later, they call and Ford wants to do a bench test. results come back, my internals are still good, I will have car Dec 28th, then I will get car Jan 10, now I will get the car end of Jan. So I am expecting another delay here and it's getting close to May when I have to ship the car to San Diego so my wife/2kids/choc lab/2 cats can drive cross country. My wife is beyond pissed... I've been looking at SRT Durango's and Audi Q7s

That is a horror show! You would probably have a really strong lemon law case in Cali for a refund/replacement, how does it work in Hawaii? Hopefully they at least supply you with a loaner. I don't blame you for wanting to get into something else, especially with a family to lead. Its always tough to trust the long term integrity of a vehicle that has had some type of persistent issue in/around the power-train especially. Hope everything works out for the better. I'm sure you will be missed on here, should you jettison the Edge.

Nick, sorry you're having so many problems. Your sit rep makes me a bit upset. You're a service member, You deserve an automobile that doesn't cause headaches like that. You've got other things to worry about. Hope things get resolved satisfactorily.

Edited by chefduane

wife is actually looking into the Lemon Law now. Hawaii is 2 years 24,000 miles, but considering my issues started before either. She's gonna call a lawyer...Maybe it will make the way for this creation!

Hi-Res version

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jnhalstead/39598888612/

Low-Res

26231674_10213105548886758_4368910847342

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

You are correct, sir! But, as you may know, I have followed the situation with Nick's Edge from the beginning, that is why I said what I said :) I am very careful to make that distinction between dealer & corporate. And I stand by my original statement. Yes, the dealer definitely has a part to play, being the entity on the front lines with the customer, but considering the number of seal-related issues with the Gen 2, Ford needs to open a broader investigation and look at the whole picture, not just pieces of it.

Understood, but a lot of people automatically equate anything the dealer does or doesn't do with Ford and that's simply not the case. And it sounded like most of the issues were on the dealer side.

• Like 2

Depending upon your budget for your brakes, you might take a look at the Powerstop OEM kit from AutoAnything. I got their 4-wheel kit that included rotors, pads, shims, lube, etc.. for $241 with free shipping. Kit # is KOE5452. This was in Feb of last year. Pricing may have changed YMMV. I think they also have a performance kit available also. I don't have any interest in AutoAnything, just thought I'd pass the info along.

Thanks for the tip. I will be doing just that.

Was just looking at that Edge ST. There's articles in motor trend, etc. out now. Looks like they tune the 2.7 EB up from 315/350 to 335/380 along with the cosmetic face lift for the 2019 model year. I like the lower fascia much better that the current Sport but I still like the current models headlight/grille shape better. Kind of opposite in the back, I love the new tail light shape but don't care for the lower rear fascia or square exhaust tips at all...at first glance anyway. Maybe it will grow on me, but I hope not, otherwise I may want one. The one thing I'm going to be envious of is what they did with the transmission. New 8-speed auto, but on the ST they made the paddle shifters fully manual so the response time should be fairly quick (anything would be an improvement over the current paddles...useless!). I wonder what the MSRP will be for a well equipped ST model...gotta be pushing into the $50k mark for sure. Looks like its farewell to the Sport model after 2018 it lieu of the ST.

https://jalopnik.com/2019-ford-edge-st-so-this-is-happening-1821975831

http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-reveals-2019-edge-st-high-performance-suv-2018-1

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/edge/2019/2019-ford-edge-st-first-look-review/

Edited by roots57