What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Just today R& R spark plugs, yikes, I can see why my dealer charges $400.00 for this! Some of my difficulties included, 1 dropped screwdriver behind the radiator and in front of the fan shroud, then what I believe is the EGR valve, had trouble removing the tube, also had trouble with throttle body plug, ( just no room to really yank on it). All the rear coil paks were suctioned down and took a while to figure out how much prying force I could use to get them up. Then just getting the upper intake out and cleaning everything up and put back. Plugs at 97,000 miles all looked the same but had monster gaps of over .075" or so. Also cleaned throttle body a bit, and intake somewhat. On a side note, it's too bad all these motors have to suck so much oil into the intake! I have a oil-air separator on my 18 MustangGT, and IMO, these 3.5's could use one also! way to wet. Anyway, it runs at least as well as before I started the day! lol. 

• Like 1

Its a 14, I thought it was just excess crankcase vapors that go right into the intake, both tubes, ( the back one right into the upper plenum, and the easier to get to front plumb right into air intake, before the throttle body, and after m.a.s.)  On my Mustang I can get several teaspoons of oil out with a separator. This is on the pass side on Mustang V-8's  ( gen 3)  2018. I'd rather have clean metered air, in all my vehicles, but I'll have to live with it on the "Edge" It does run quite good though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post, I have done the following:

A few night runs to Gila Bend to test my LEDs. 

- Got to see a coyote cross in front of me on I-8

A run to Casa Grande

Still researching the Vignale Grille

Got a quote on the tires and Giannelle Verdi rims 

Researching my audio upgrade options

Researching an LED bar to place behind my lower grille

Made a service appointment to get my camera fixed and a few other things

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a little lazy with my maintenance so I am making up for it now. I replaced the spark plugs around 105k miles (currently at 120k, bought it at 75k) but I have never replaced to PTU or RDU fluid. So I had to PTU and RDU both changed 2 days ago and I purchased a new paper air filter, cabin air filter, rear wipe blade, and brakes for all 4 wheels from Rockauto (still waiting for all of those to arrive). Rears are squeaking and the fronts are vibrating from warping. Also had my oil changed at it's normal interval.

I have not flushed the coolant or the trans fluid yet, but I need to look at doing both very soon.

• Like 2

Washed, waxed and put in a Half tank of VP101 fuel. Installed the 93 tune and the aFe high flow air filter. Inspected for problems , emptied the catch can, changed the oil and checked the tires.  My 2016 Edge Sport is ready for the first Malibu Autobahn Midnight run of 2021 tonight.  Because I live so close to canyons the event starts just one mile from my house. Home field advantage goes to the Edge. ? . Car show starts at 8 pm and the run starts at 9 pm. I wonder where we are headed this time.?

• Like 1

I still had a good amount of gas leftover from last night, and as long as the car was ready to go I decided to see if the Snake was open yet. Well, the Mulholland Snake is still closed but has a tentative date to reopen sometime in April 2021. We can only hope.

There has been progress and here are the before and after photos of the bridge that burned down. The new bridge is only one way for now, and the road is closed on the other side that takes you to the Snake. In the burned bridge photo you can see that the road continues straight, that is how you get to the Snake and the Rock Store The detour is the road to the right along the wash it takes you to the Hwy. 

1400684890_BURNEDBRIDGE.thumb.JPG.0a72cc45e1988bd2498d25c792c20efa.JPG 

SNAKE BRIDGE.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

On our 2020 AWD Centric Premium Blank Rotors on all 4 corners & Centric Ceramic Pads on all 4 corners. finished painting the caliper brackets while everything was off. Put Anti-seize on the bracket & hardware to make live easier down the road.

Did they make a change for rotor size? I guess the 2019+ AWD versions get a 345mm Rotor while the FWD versions get a 315mm rotor. I understand that the AWD version is heavier but I don't remember seeing that difference on our 2016 when I did the same thing. 

EDIT: just re looked up the parts & they do make a different rotor. Guess I didn't pay attention....???

received_918687085544500.jpeg

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 3

Changed the cabin air filter in both the 2016 & 2020 today. The '16 was as filthy as it usually is, the 2020 wasn't as bad. Guess I'll continue to change them twice a year. Once in the spring & once in the fall. 

On a side note, the 2020 didn't have any screws to lock down the filter housing like the 2016 does. Guess it's another thing that saves a few bucks per million vehicles made. 

Also changed the weather stripping below the doors on the '16 as well.  Much more weather stripping & drain holes in the weather stripping.  Supposedly, it's the upgraded version that Ford came out with after all the complaining on the bottom of the doors on the 2015-18's.

Drivers Side part # FT4Z-5820759-B ~$30

Passenger Side part # FT4Z-5820758-B ~$20

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, lildisco said:

Changed the cabin air filter in both the 2016 & 2020 today. The '16 was as filthy as it usually is, the 2020 wasn't as bad. Guess I'll continue to change them twice a year. Once in the spring & once in the fall. 

On a side note, the 2020 didn't have any screws to lock down the filter housing like the 2016 does. Guess it's another thing that saves a few bucks per million vehicles made. 

Also changed the weather stripping below the doors on the '16 as well.  Much more weather stripping & drain holes in the weather stripping.  Supposedly, it's the upgraded version that Ford came out with after all the complaining on the bottom of the doors on the 2015-18's.

Drivers Side part # FT4Z-5820759-B ~$30

Passenger Side part # FT4Z-5820758-B ~$20

Might want to consider using K&N washable Cabin Air Filters, they will save you a lot if you replace the filters twice a year. As for the screws, the 2015-2019 Edge was the first I've seen with them, it felt strange for me especially as the plastic door closes securely without. Actually considered not re-installing them to avoid dropping them when cleaning the filter, but decided to keep them as they must serve a purpose.

For the weather stripping, there are also upgraded versions for the ones at the back of the rear door openings. But a bit more expensive, ~$60 each if i remember correctly.

Driver side: FT4Z-5828125-C

Passenger side: FT4Z-5828124-D

They were part of TSB 18-2339 (link)

• Like 1

everywhere I look the K&N VF2050 Cabin Air Filter is around ~$40.  Not terrible, guess I'll wait for a coupon or a sale as I have around 6 months left before I need to change them out again.

The weather stripping has gone up quite a bit in price as the driver side is ~$90 & the passenger side is ~$60.  We'll see how the lower stripping holds up & then I'll look into replacing the arches if it gets too dirty back there.

• Like 1

Talk about a lot of HP. I just saw this Saturn V rocket motor in the RocketDyne parking lot and thought I should check it out. 

The Saturn V moon rocket at launch when all 5 engines start, and it’s not moving at all, has 7.61 million pounds of thrust, and ZERO horsepower.

When the rocket reaches 1,000 FPS it produces 14.8 million HP.

At the first stage cutoff the rocket is moving at  7,500 FPS and that is the equivalent of 106 million HP!!!  Wow, that’s a lot of horsepower!

F1 SPECS.JPG

MOON ROCKET MOTOR.JPG

F1.JPG

1.5 MILLION POUNDS THRUST.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1